Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Jitter (Read 5604 times) previous topic - next topic

Jitter

I have beene reading a little about sync problems when capturing pcm streams via spdif out/in on computer.

Something about different clock speeds. In video we used to genlock two devices to prevent this.

Is there any type of soundcard or equipment that can minimize/eliminate this problem?

And how audible is the problem anyway?

Jitter

Reply #1
Originally posted by kennedyb4
I have beene reading a little about sync problems when capturing pcm streams via spdif out/in on computer.

Something about different clock speeds. In video we used to genlock two devices to prevent this.

Is there any type of soundcard or equipment that can minimize/eliminate this problem?

keneddyb4,

you have to slave your devices to a master clock source to avoid drifts in clocking.  there are some nice products from steinberg, apogee, and aardvark.  they're called sync devices.  here's aardvark's:  http://www.aardvark-pro.com/sync.html

how audible?  well, if the dirft is appreciable enough, you'll get crackles/pops at most likely regular intervals, after so-so seconds.

david (robinson) has always recommended this read, by mastering guru bob katz:  http://www.digido.com/jitteressay.html

cheers,

albert 

Jitter

Reply #2

The recent 24/96 soundcards (Marian Marc 2, Maudio Audiophile 2496, Terratec EWX2496, Echo Mia, Hoontech DSP, I don't know about the new Creative) can slave their clock to the incoming SPDIF stream.

Other soundcards resample their input, spoiling the sound. It sounds a little dull. Like with a 200 € CD player. As I don't monitor, I don't know about sync problems. The soundcards mentioned above have usually asio drivers (low latency).

Jitter

Reply #3
hey pio, nice to see you here, dude! 

cheers,

albert