Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_binpack (Read 27396 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_binpack

This is a very simple component I wrote but might be useful to others. Basically you select a list of songs and then create playlists from that list with a maximum length.

Why would you want to do this? Here is why I needed it: I've got a list of 200 songs and I want to record those on to CDs to put in a changer. Instead of figuring out what songs are needed to get as close to 80 minutes of audio as possible, I just select my list of songs, select the BinPack option, and then I have 11 playlists that all fit on 80 minute CDs. This allows me to populate the changer very easily, a lot easier than trying to create playlists manually for each CD!

Download here

I might add more functionality later, but this is all I needed at the moment.

foo_binpack

Reply #1
I just select my list of songs, select the BinPack option, and then I have 11 playlists that all fit on 80 minute CDs.

Or 155 playlists if your not careful lol. Great idea and works great. Thanks for the plugin.

foo_binpack

Reply #2
Or 155 playlists if your not careful lol
hehehe, yeah watch out for that. I should probably add a "Are you sure you want to make __ playlists?" dialog in there since apparently there is no way to undo the creation of playlists.

foo_binpack

Reply #3
foo_playlist_manager also has a feature to create large amounts of playlists in one step; to counter that, it can also delete a group of playlists in one step. That could come in handy, when you've accidentally spammed foobar2000 with several hundred playlists.

foo_binpack

Reply #4
Yep, I guess what I meant is that it's not possible to create a standard undo point for playlist creation or deletion. As in, after 100 playlists are created, there is no way a user could just Edit|Undo to get rid of those playlists. Unless I missed something in the SDK, but even the default UI can't undo playlist creation and deletion.

foo_binpack

Reply #5
You are right, the undo functionality is limited to the playlist contents.

foo_binpack

Reply #6
Thanks for the plugin.  It works great.

I hope you don't mind if I throw out a feature request.  I'd like to be able to set the number of playlists to be created and then just omit any songs that go over the playlist limit.  For example, I'd like to randomize my entire music library and then make three cds from the first 240 minutes of songs in the playlist.

foo_binpack

Reply #7
Just wanted to thank you for an eminently usable plugin!! I used to have the same problem creating mix CDs for my car.
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras

foo_binpack

Reply #8
Hi FrozenSpoon,

Upon placing the plugin in the "components" folder, foobar2000 v0.9.2beta3 will not start up. Does this plugin need .NET 2.0 installed or some other runtime dll?
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

foo_binpack

Reply #9
It shouldn't require anything else. I just downloaded 0.9.2 beta3 and it worked fine for me. How will it not start up?

foo_binpack

Reply #10
It shouldn't require anything else. I just downloaded 0.9.2 beta3 and it worked fine for me. How will it not start up?

When I click on the foobar2000 icon, the icon appears in the taskbar tray for a few seconds, and then disappears. In Task Manager, I see foobar2000.exe for few seconds and then foobar2000.exe closes. This is on Windows XP Pro SP2 machine.

Also, foobar will not open to full screen before it closes down. Just the icon in the tray.

Edit: I started removing plugins one at a time, and viola! foo_browser 1.1.7 was the culprit. Once removed, foobar works great with foo_binpack installed.
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

foo_binpack

Reply #11
Uploaded new 1.1.0:
  • Compiled with new SDK so Vista & 0.9.6 work
  • Added option to not sort items. This is non-optimal but sometimes you just don't want them sorted.

foo_binpack

Reply #12
Nice component, but I really miss a feature. Could you update it to also create playlist based on size, not only time?

When burning mp3 to cd's, for players that read mp3, it would be handy if I could limit a playlist to 700MB/800MB or 4,5GB in case of a mp3 DVD.

If you could implement this feature, you would have a fantastic combo with foo_imgburn!