Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Compress music collection, for portable use (Read 6740 times) previous topic - next topic

Compress music collection, for portable use

Hello,
I have a large music collection, containing FLAC and high bitrate mp3 files. Now I need a Software which converts it into a lossy format like aac. I want to store it on my NAS-server and stream or simply copy it to portable android devices.
Which software can I use? It needs to preserve the folder structure. And when I update my collection, it would be great if it looks only for the changes.
Which codec and quality would you recommend? I use mainly cheap in-ear headphones.

regards
Patrick

Reply #1
I've used DBPowerAmp and am happy with the way it works. It definitely supports just converting the incremental changes.
In terms of format HE-AAC scales down well to double digit rates and is broadly compatible. How low you want to go is a matter of choice. I've gone as low as 48 which will make others cringe but it's acceptable if you want to carry as much as possible.

Reply #2
It's not always convenient to go HE-AAC, the decoding speed is almost three times slower than LC, it will consume more battery. AAC LC starting at 96k is perfect IMO for portable use.

Reply #3
There's quite a lot of posts on this subject if you use the search.

Reply #4
Your high-bitrate MP3 files are already lossy. Leave them alone. Transcoding just degrades the sound further.

Reply #5
I second the leave the mp3's alone. I also second the suggestion that you try encoding your lossless files to AAC or OGG Vorbis around 96kbps. You'll be surprised how good they do at that bitrate.