Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABX Just Destroyed My Ego (Read 100150 times) previous topic - next topic

ABX Just Destroyed My Ego

Reply #100
Regarding this, but not too diverging as to be off-topic, I was astounded recently to learn that lossless can actually be non-lossless, provided an error occurs in the RAM (or on HDD write, or in the cache) which cannot be corrected in real-time, or delayed-corrected...  Then you'd get a signal stream which isn't the exact replica of the original.  I found that funny.

Thats no different from the same sort of error with an uncompressed file or playback of an original CD. Most CDs do have bit errors, a couple of the early high end players even had LEDs or internal test points where you could watch the single bit, interpolate, and mute depending on the severity of the bit error. Ripping a CD typically will retry many times to correctly read bad spots, and the bit error rate for hard drives is MUCH smaller than for a CD, so in most cases the lossless compressed ripped file is superior to the original CD.

ABX Just Destroyed My Ego

Reply #101
My wife ripped all of her music at something 128k or less a few years ago to use on a Rio portable (64mb and proud of it), and didn't change when I got an archos 20 for her. Listening with the archos in the car via cassette adapter most of it sounded ok, but some songs were ACK! It took a few weeks, but eventually she ripped everything again at 192k vbr (lame, not sure rev etc.) or better and all seems fine now, but I am wondering how bad the original rips were, and if it was the compression or maybe just a rip/setting error?

I also wonder about the other side of the situation, when nothing you can put your finger on is wrong, transparent via abx etc., but music over time is less appealing. I bought a new CD player once, planning on just using it as a transport for a external DAC, but when I hooked it up I couldn't tell the difference from the CD players output and the DAC, so I left the DAC turned off. After a month or so I noticed that instead of my usual 2 or 3 CDs of music every day that many days I wasn't even listening to one, or putting it on and just not getting into it. Thinking about putting on a CD, but without enough appeal to do it. It kind of put this seed of doubt into my mind that poisoned the listening experience, such that even with the old DAC it wasn't a welcome back feeling of relief, but a continuing wonder if its going to be ok thing. Like eating a bad oyster, its hard to enjoy good oysters for a bit afterwards.

Good music should be refilliing, not dentist office apprehension (even if the dentist does refilling), so be cautious with your destructive music experience testing.