Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New A/V Setup not recognizing Sound from Blu Ray (Read 2658 times) previous topic - next topic

New A/V Setup not recognizing Sound from Blu Ray

Don't know where else to post this one, forgive me if this is the wrong place.

I just updated my TV/Blu Ray system and I'm having the most vexing time trying to figure this one out.

I purchased a Sharp Aquos LC-60LE6300U, a Bose Cinemate Series II, and an LG Blu Ray BD 640.  I've got all inputs going into the TV and then the main Digital Optical Audio Out (via TOSS) going into the Bose.  Everything else plugged into the TV is getting sound sent properly out to the Bose, but for some reason, the Blu Ray player isn't passing the sound through the HDMI.  If I plug in regular RCA audio outputs, it goes through, but not HDMI.  I've already had to replace my first Blu Ray for being defective, so I'm not above saying there's a defect in this one as well, but would someone have any ideas what I could try to get the audio through the HDMI, to the TV, and over to the Bose?

Thanks.

Reply #1
It might be experiment time. I had issues  with a Magnavox TV and a PC with HDMI out. In that case the TV had to be on and have the HDMI selected before booting the PC. You might try having the TV on and BluRay selected before turning on the BluRay. I hope that doesn't 'solve' your problem as it would become very cumbersome to use.

Reply #2
What soundtrack are you selecting on the Blu-Ray? If you're choosing something like TrueHD I wouldn't expect any sound from the TV as it'd have to decode it to something like standard DD to pass over S/P-DIF. Some TVs will also only accept certain audio types so are you sure it's actually the BR player and not just the fact your TV doesn't understand what it's being sent over HDMI?

Reply #3
Yeah, I'd think the TV probably accepts either DD/DTS (which probably won't decode but will pass through the optical output) or only 2 channel LPCM. Try outputting the "core" audio from your blu-ray player only.

Reply #4
I thought if you want sound, the HDMI must run through the receiver, then to the TV.  I didn't think that TVs outputted HDMI.