Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: $if doesn't recognise string as empty (Read 1580 times) previous topic - next topic

$if doesn't recognise string as empty

Strange formatting behaviour... Current track has title "01 - Party".
Code: [Select]
$left(%title%,2)

returns 01 (as expected).
$if($replace(01,01,),a,b)

returns b (as expected).
$if($replace($left(%title%,2),01,),a,b)

returns a (instead of b).
Bug or my misunderstanding?
Magically yours
Raistlin

Reply #1
$if does not check for a non-empty string, but for the expression's boolean value.

%title% is true if present, which remains unchanged by string manipulation functions like $left or $replace. Boolean values are most relevant for brackets (e.g., [%tracknumber%. ]), where plain text is ignored as false if no field is present. They are also the reason why functions like $and or $longer can be used with $if without returning any text.

For use with brackets, it might be worth considering if $replace should return false for empty results, though.

Exercise: Explain why $if($replace(01,02,),a,b) returns b.

Reply #2
Thanks, I got it. This way it works:
$iflonger($replace($left(%title%,2),01,),0,a,b)

The main goal of mine is to check if given string consists of numbers or not. Is there a way to check this but using $replace 10 times in a row and then using $iflonger?
Magically yours
Raistlin

Reply #3
The following code exploits the way text is parsed as a number:
$ifgreater(%title%0,%title%,a,b)

If %title% contains only digits, %title%0 will represent a number that is ten times larger than the one represented by %title%. If %title% contains only zeros, this code will incorrectly return b. This can be fixed by adding a prefix to guarantee the number is not zero:
$ifgreater(1%title%0,1%title%,a,b)

In both cases the parsing stops at the first non-digit character, i.e. "1a2" evaluates to 1 and "1a20" also evaluates to 1. Note that both code fragments return b for negative numbers and they disagree on the empty string.

Reply #4
foosion
they disagree on the empty string

Empty string returns FALSE which is correct - it doesn't consist of numbers. So I don't see what to note here.
Thank you very much for your explanations!
Magically yours
Raistlin