Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trying to convert .ogg files to MP3, but can't (Read 12971 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to convert .ogg files to MP3, but can't

Hello,

I am currently trying to convert some music files to .ogg, however, I am receiving the same or similar messages no matter what program I used to convert the files. Something along the lines of "Bad file/Convert failed/ACN driver error." The files are directly ripped using the Telltale Games Extractor, and files from previous or other games work fine. Is there anyway to remedy this?

Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
I wish you would mention what programs you are trying to use.

First, I'll assume you are using windows and you are capable of using FooBar2000. Install that. If FB2K can play the OGGs, then it can convert them to MP3.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #2
It looks as if the OP is trying to extract audio from games (maybe older ROMs or something?) to the OGG format.  I don't see any mention of actually converting OGG to mp3.  Just extracting the OGG audio (or maybe extracting the audio from the game and converting it to OGG on-the-fly?) using the software and getting that error.

A little more information on what is actually going on would be helpful.

Reply #3
I'd be glad to provide more information.

I am using the telltale music extractor (found at http://quick.mixnmojo.com/new-tool-telltale-music-extractor) and initially tried to convert with the ACE HIGH MP3 WAV WMA OGG converter. I then tried dBpoweramp with the ogg codec installed. None of these worked. I do want to convert the ogg to mp3, the ripping of the music is no problem.

I am using windows.

I'll try the suggestions so far.

Anything else you need to know?

Reply #4
It says that this program is designed for Telltale games, so I am assuming you are trying to rip out the music out of one of the listed games.

That is interesting that it would output an OGG file. It makes sense for commercial games to use Vorbis as it is a free lossy codec but it also surprises me. The only reason then this program uses OGG [Vorbis] is that it is ripping the files out of the game. Whether or not the program is ripping the Vorbis correctly is a completely different story.

The last thing you can try to do if FooBar2000 fails is use the command line tool for decoding vorbis. I don't know where one can download an "oggdec" (all I find on the vorbis site is oggenc2).

Reply #5
Telltale should just issue a Sam & Max soundtrack album and save everyone the bother 

Reply #6
Telltale should just issue a Sam & Max soundtrack album and save everyone the bother 
Yeah, but where is the fun in that?

Reply #7

Teehee. I'm sure they will eventually and I'll buy it when it comes out (the sound quality is SO much better), but I'd like to also listen to it now.

I'll do some work later today and post if I have any problems.

Reply #8
So far, when I try to add a file to foobar, it simply "stops." It tries to load it, but fails.

Reply #9
It sounds like something is wrong with the file itself then.  I have had some bad mp3 encodes that foobar2000 still loads.  I am guessing that the software you are using isn't encoding (or copying) the OGG files correctly.  Can you find a file that is less than 30 seconds long that you are having issues with and post it?  To me, it just sounds like something is going wrong with the encoding (or copying) process making bad OGG files.