Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need affordable, but good sounding speakers... (Read 5348 times) previous topic - next topic

Need affordable, but good sounding speakers...

Hello, finally my wife seems to agree, that our sound is not good enough, so i need some advice..

Right now i have a Technics SU-Z2 amp with some noname speakers that were part of some crappy ministereo system.

I guess my financial situation makes the price more important, but still i want to archieve a good result in the end.
Sadly my knowledge about hi-fi systems is rather bad, so i am asking you guys.

...any suggestions? i dont mind second hand stuff

Reply #1
Hello, finally my wife seems to agree, that our sound is not good enough, so i need some advice..

Right now i have a Technics SU-Z2 amp with some noname speakers that were part of some crappy ministereo system.

I guess my financial situation makes the price more important, but still i want to archieve a good result in the end.

First thing you should do is give a budget and if you want stereo or surround sound. BTW, on a budget, stereo is the best option if you are trying to achieve the highest fidelity.

-Chris

Reply #2
First thing you should do is give a budget and if you want stereo or surround sound. BTW, on a budget, stereo is the best option if you are trying to achieve the highest fidelity.

-Chris

Right.. i was, infact thinking about a stereo setup, basically because i dont even know how well surround setups work with music (as its all stereo recordings anyway)

Most important thing is, that i can use it with my computer AND my cd player/vinyl player. (My computer is hooked up to my amplifier at the moment) - not sure if i could connect my cd player to some setup made by logitech or something.

My wife was whispering something like 200 euros alltogether...

Reply #3
Hi, Rasi.

You don't say which country you live in. If it's the UK then I'd recommend giving Richer Sounds a look. LINK

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #4

hey Rasi,

A lot depends on what you listen to and how you listen.
> do you enjoy accuracy over a "warmer' sound?
> do you listen to a wide range of music?
> will you use them with a PC based system?
if the answers are Accurate and Highly Diverse and Yes, I'd strongly recommend a good set of small self-powered, studio monitors... I prefer hearing what the artist/engineers put down on the track as opposed to what an audio speaker engineer likes to hear!! so I go with MACKIE WEBPAGE
- they are a pancake flat +/- 1.5db across the spectrum and add / subtract nothing from the music you pump into them, that's why they are used by pro engineers around the world. I have a pair in my office downstairs plugged into an Apple Power Mac rig. I have the bigger dual versions but the MR5's are a great pair of speakers. They will cost you more than 300 euros new but look around on craigslist, ebay etc for a used pair in excellent cond. also consider that you can sell your amp as these are bi-amped and self-powered.
Lower priced (€ 220 new) but extremely capable are M AUDIO Studiophile BX5 bi-amped bookshelf speakers.
So if you are looking for giant, penis extending cabinets or loud but sloppy woofers - these two companies are not for you. But if you want clean, accurate and more than loud enough sound for a medium sized room and a small footprint - check em out.
Lastly - if you do decide you wish to upgrade you can:
a) add a subwoofer and or
b) buy 3 more of either for surround sound

happy hunting and good sound!

Reply #5
hey Rasi,

A lot depends on what you listen to and how you listen.
> do you enjoy accuracy over a "warmer' sound?
> do you listen to a wide range of music?
> will you use them with a PC based system?

Right, so i should give a bit of details.
Right now i have my PC connected via cinch to my amp (A Technics SU-Z2), which has 2 very cheap loudspeakers connected to it.
The room is around 5*4 square meter and at the moment the speakers are hooked in the corners of one of the 5 meter walls.

I definately prefer a clean sound tho it shouldnt sound clinical  But hearing details of the music is important.
My music is mostly rock music, but varies quite a bit. From early 80's post-punk over 90's grunge sound to irish folk music, but also some classical stuff and jazz piano.

It's important that i can use my PC system with my final setup, but at the same time i need my vinyl player and my cd player to be hooked up.

ah.. and i am living in germany

if the answers are Accurate and Highly Diverse and Yes, I'd strongly recommend a good set of small self-powered, studio monitors... I prefer hearing what the artist/engineers put down on the track as opposed to what an audio speaker engineer likes to hear!! so I go with MACKIE WEBPAGE

the mackie definately is too much for me... like 300-400 for a single speaker - Can't afford that...

Have found something about selfmaking loudspeakers called needles (but can only find german pages)
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index....hifi/needle.htm

the fact that those are selfmade makes them cheap but rumours say quality is still great... wouldnt want to get (make) one and find out that this is not true tho...

Reply #6
Check out the Canadian speaker company PSB. They make excellent speakers for the money.