Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain/R128 scan shows same peak for all tracks (Read 3647 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain/R128 scan shows same peak for all tracks

I have a lossless extraction of a CD, and when I scanned it with with ReplayGain/R128 in foobar2000, I noticed that all tracks in the album read the exact same track peak value. What would cause something like this to occur? Is it an indication of some sort of normalization process when the CD was created, is this just a freak anomaly, or is something else the cause?

In the spirit of disclosure, the CD was made for me by a friend, so it would fall under the category of "bootleg." However, the legal status of the disc has no bearing on my question. I merely ask because I've never seen this happen before (even in scans I have done on not-quite-so-legal albums).

Reply #1
Since this was just bumped by someone who had not bothered to actually read it, here we go.

What would cause something like this to occur? Is it an indication of some sort of normalization process when the CD was created, is this just a freak anomaly, or is something else the cause?
Yes, normalisation before burning sounds most logical to me, but maybe I’m wrong. What was the peak, out of curiosity?

Reply #2
Due to peak limiting and peak normalization commonly used in mastering, peak level will read 1.0 for most of today's commercially released tracks.

Reply #3
I don't recall offhand. I've since purchased the album myself and replaced the files. I think it was 0.97something, not that that really tells anything.