Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 2 Kernel Streaming Output Plugin (Read 437683 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 2 Kernel Streaming Output Plugin

Reply #25
Hi,

I'm really seeking forward any update to your existing kernel streaming output plugin...! It's really an efficient plugin and bypassing the kmixer is certainly not a bad thing...

So, let us know on any update on this nice piece of work here...

Keep smiling...

Reply #26
Hi!

I wanted to try the plugin, too.

Using Case´s MPC-Plugin, Win98SE and Winamp 2.91, I couldn´t run the plugin.
After I selected the KS-Plugin as my Output-Plugin I get the message "CKsEnumFilters::EnumFilters failed" 

Had anyone the same message, or can somebody explain how to solve the problem.?

Thanks in regard
Hiwi
Bombing for Peace is like
Fucking for Virginity
-No WAR-

Reply #27
I don't quite remember, but I think kernel streaming only works in Windows 2000/XP (and *maybe* Me).  I'm pretty sure Windows98SE won't work.

Reply #28
Thanks for your reply Chun-Yu!

I was just thinking of that, but i wasn´t sure, and it´s a bad feeling not really to know... 

Hiwi
Fucking for Virginity
-No WAR-

Reply #29
Thanks for your reply Chun-Yu!

I was just thinking of that, but i wasn´t sure, and it´s a bad feeling not really to know... 

Hiwi

Edit: Sorry, just made a Doubleclick! Please remove this post!!!
Fucking for Virginity
-No WAR-

Reply #30
wow, the improvement in sound when I use this is awesome, after trying this i enabled kernel treaming in Foobar and it sounds great too, I seem to have about three times the volume and much more clarity. 

Nice work

Reply #31
Kernel Streaming just bypasses the mixer and its volume controls.
You shouldn't gain clarity unless you have superb equipment and ears.

(or mixing quality in Control Panel set to 'good', but that's unlikely)
ruxvilti'a

Reply #32
wow, the improvement in sound when I use this is awesome, after trying this i enabled kernel treaming in Foobar and it sounds great too...

Another placebo I guess??

Reply #33
could it be that my sound levels on my system are screwed up somewhere and using this plugin bypasses the problem, because its honestly a huge improvement.

Reply #34
I love the concept of this plug-in 'cause like you I hate hearing game sounds and other Windows sounds while I listen to my music.  I do have one thing that I don't like about it that I was wondering if you could help me with.  My playlist will not automatically advnace and I have confirmed that the manual advance option is NOT checked.  Can anyone help me with this problem.  Also, I'm currently running Winamp 2.81.

Reply #35
That's weird - it goes on to the next song just fine here.  Honestly, this was more just a test to try out KS than anything, I'd use Foobar2000 if you really want to use KS.

Reply #36
I assume that this is a Winamp plugin and if so, where can I find it?

Reply #37
Alright I answered my own question and it is a different program so I'm not going to get it.  However, maybe it's just that my version of Winamp won't function that way using the out_ks plugin.  What version are you running that seems to be working well with it?

Reply #39
I think I used to have that one and went back to an older version thinking it would help,  but I went ahead and got the newer winamp and I still can't get it to auto-advance my playlist.  This is beginning to seem like a lost cause.

Reply #40
ZAKGUY: Maybay it's time for you to change audio player in windows...

Reply #41
I've got a problem that sound a bit similar : Playback freezes when the next track begins. The seek bar is at the beginning, but doesn't move.
I don't use ks, but I've got a Marian Marc 2 soundcard, that might behave alike in waveout, than another soundcard in ks.
It occurs with MP3 only, and playing with the "prebuffer" and "buffer ahead on track change" settings affects it.
Try them if they are available with KS.

Reply #42
Whoa, you're a genius that worked.  Thanks a bunch people.  Hopefully this will be my last visit here.

Reply #43
Thanks for writing that plugin Chun-Yu,

I can pass DTS and Dolby 5.1 sucessfully through Winamp now! There are a couple of bugs I get though, the first is pretty trivial and that is there is a little pop/crackle whenever I start, stop or change track. The second issue might be driver related but Im unsure, if I for example cause a windows noise like clicking the back button in My Computer the noise occurs and then winamp and then Winamp goes silent until I change the track, no other windows sounds work afterwards either. Muting the main volume in the Sound card control panel and then making a windows noise means the one windows noise does not occur but winamp still goes silent.  Iam using a Terratec Aureon Sky card and Win2K SP3.

zZzZzZzZzZ,

I notice you use a Terratec card also, does the digital out work with the Winamp ASIO output plugin?

Reply #44
this is weird.  While using the plugin, I still got IE to play web-sounds over the top of Winamp.  Isn't KS supposed to nuke all other channels?

Winamp : v2.91
Sound card : Sound Blaster Audigy

Reply #45
Does anyone have any tips for what I should do to start developing an application in C# that uses kernel streaming similar to Chun-Yu's to play back and audio stream?

Edit:.....

This post doesn't seem to be getting much attention, maybe being a little more specific will help.

What i'm trying to do is make the methods of the original API that has been written by Microsoft accessible through C#.
My plan has been to export classes used in the API written in C++ into a managed dll, however, I am now having problems with this approach as some of the classes allow private access via the 'friend' keyword, which in turn presents problems. Does anyone know of any way in which this problem could be dealt with?

Regards,

Richard.

Reply #46
I have read the source code of the output plugin, but I don't found how to change the volume. Output of foobar has no volume setting, also. So Chun-Yu, can you tell me how to change volume?

Reply #47
The Wave volume slider may not work, but the main one still should (in the Windows mixer).

Reply #48
The Wave volume slider may not work, but the main one still should (in the Windows mixer).

thank you!

Reply #49
@ricky_casson:

ahm. i wouldn't want to use c# for such a thing, but if you really really want...
...just pack it into a nice COM interface and use COM interop.

(creating a COM component is really pretty simple using VS2003 and attributed C++ code)

that way you'll at least get rid of the damed "managed" stuff and be fine with knowing when what happens and why in advance and not only after spending 100s of hours in the debugger.

i mean .net ist sure a neat thing for applications, but trying to pack something that handles hardware stuff at a pretty low leven (as compared to typical .net code) is nothing i'd ever want to do.

just make sure your component is at least free threaded and that you don't do any "nasty" stuff from event-handlers up in the managed code.
(e.g. making an existing control visible for the first time from a COM interop event handler is not a good thing. locks up your code - need to call .CreateControl() first because of threading issues. thanks MS)

EDIT:

anyone knows what's the official way to get those KS utility-classes from MS? are they DDK, SDK, ... ? (DX SDK summer 2003 don't even mention them)

regards,
hustbaer