Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Repair corrupt Wav? (Read 5552 times) previous topic - next topic

Repair corrupt Wav?

Hi,

I was recording from Line In to WAV using Exact Audio Copy, and during the recording and error appeared (didn't catch it, something about WAVE AUDIO maybe?)

Anyway, EAC crashed and the 2GB wav file that I'm left won't open in foobar, WMP or Adobe Audition.

Any ideas for recovering this file?

Seems odd it stopped at almost exactly 2GB, but it was on an NTFS drive, so the file limit shouldn't apply.

EDIT: Ignore, found a fix using Audacity -> Import RAW.

Repair corrupt Wav?

Reply #1
Seems odd it stopped at almost exactly 2GB, but it was on an NTFS drive, so the file limit shouldn't apply.

You mention the 2 GB FAT16 limit here, but the 16-bit and 32-bit limits also apply to .wav files themselves, dependant on the program you use for creating them. See here for more information about this problem.

I'm pretty sure this limitation was the cause why EAC crashed at almost exactly 2 GB. In order to create large .wav recordings SoundForge and its 64-bit W64 format might be of help next time, as written in the Wikipedia entry.