Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What comes after AAC? (Read 20543 times) previous topic - next topic

What comes after AAC?

Reply #25
To be honest, I can only think of the power requirements variable to be important enough to warrant a change.

Actually, newer formats generally have much higher computational complexity than older...

Agreed. I was referring to what goals developers could have to improve. As you say, in reality the balance has shifted towards more complexity and thus more power as lower bitrates are more important than low power. Made possible by Moore's law.

I'd say developers/researchers target all of the three groups you mentioned. At least I and most codec developers I know do  On the quality/bit-rate side, the focus has shifted to the non-transparent range of 10-30 kb per second and channel, where the task is to make the unavoidable artifacts less annoying. The MPEG-H 3D-Audio development and the audio part of MPEG DASH reflect what is being worked on regarding features.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

What comes after AAC?

Reply #26
Chris, Apple doesn't even do HEv2 so let's skip that but will we have a new DLL with Extended HE-AAC since Winamp sold? I know you're no longer with Fraunhofer, how do you think they'll deliver to us users or will they even care? It'll be fun to compare to Opus.

What comes after AAC?

Reply #27
Honestly, I don't know. I guess Winamp's new owners would have to contact Fraunhofer if they are interested.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

What comes after AAC?

Reply #28
I usually don't like to bring old topics back from the dead, but this really interests me:

What's up with Apple? Are they doing things like ALAC again just to be different (I mean, either a new container, or things like the audio part of MPEG-DASH)

And what's up with Winamp? I've been using this program since pretty much I've been a kid in the 90's. The Website had my hopes up, when early in this year, it was not just left to die, but the new owner seemed to infuse it with new life. To be fair, I don't use Winamp, because I don't use Windows. In one of my Windows VMs, I have a Winamp v2.95 installed for nostalgia. But has anybody some info about Winamp, though?