Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3 CDs (Read 4060 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3 CDs

I recently bought an album and after putting the disk into the PC I realised the tracks on it werent CDA they were MP3. However it still plays in my standard supposedly non-mp3 compatible CD player. How is this possible and is there a program that I can get to burn a disk like this?!?

mp3 CDs

Reply #1
Sounds like a mixed-mode cd. Usually the first session is burnt as standard redbook audio while a second session is burnt as a data.
"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be..." - Angel

mp3 CDs

Reply #2
To exrtapolate a bit:

It probably is a mixed mode/multi-session cd.  This is in essence a type of copy protection.  Because most audio only cd players are only able to read the first session, the cd audio plays fine.  Now, because cd-roms etc are multisession, they (normally) only see the final session.  In this case, this the inferior quality mp3's.  At least be lucky are mp3's.  It's common to have them be extremely low bitrate wma.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

mp3 CDs

Reply #3
If you have data on a music cd, can't you just rip it if you want the "good" audio?
Because i know i've ripped audio from mixed cds.

Madman2003.

mp3 CDs

Reply #4
hehe.  remember to hold down shift...

what CD is this?  i'd be interested to know if it's copy protected, what quality the mp3s are, and who publishes it.

i've made CDs for my friends that are mixed mode and have --aps mp3s in the second session - it stops my friends ripping them to WMA with Windows Media Player, and thus helps stem the spread of Evil and Terror™.  of course, i don't do this with copyrighted material 

mp3 CDs

Reply #5
Nice post MugFunky!

Anyways,  Use an older version of EAC with TOC detection and you should be able to rip the .cda
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

mp3 CDs

Reply #6
I think youve misunderstood me. The only music on this disc are MP3s; my standard CD player is playing the Mp3 files, or seems to be. At least the only other files I can find on the CD arent music! Theres a 127MB Quicktime video and some 'extentionless' files. Plus theres twelve songs so I dont think you could fit any more onto a 650MB disc.

p.s. in answer to MugFunkys question:
<what CD is this? i'd be interested to know if it's copy protected, what quality the mp3s are, and who publishes it.>
acoustic album, mp3s are typically 4-7MB, pretty good quality, 192kbps(I think, not too sure 'bout that)

mp3 CDs

Reply #7
How do you know that there is nothing but MP3 music on the disc? Have you checked in the explorer? And all you can see are the Mp3 files and a quicktime file? Or am I misunderstanding you?

As dreamliner said it is most probably a multi-session disc. It then has one audio session and one data session and in those cases I am pretty sure the explorer only shows the data session. If so you wont see any .cda files in the explorer.

And I can't see why you shouldn't be able to fit more onto a disc. The files you mention add up to roughly 200 MB to me? That means that there is roughly 500 MB space left on the disc for audio data. How large are the so called extensionless files?

mp3 CDs

Reply #8
When you have a mixed-mode CD you don't have any .cda files show up in explorer.  Put your CD in and load up EAC.  If there are .cda files on the disc then they will show up.  At least they always did for me even on those nasty copy-protected CDs (which are pretty easy to rip with EAC from my experience).
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

mp3 CDs

Reply #9
I think youve misunderstood me. The only music on this disc are MP3s; my standard CD player is playing the Mp3 files, or seems to be. At least the only other files I can find on the CD arent music! Theres a 127MB Quicktime video and some 'extentionless' files. Plus theres twelve songs so I dont think you could fit any more onto a 650MB disc.

Trust me, your cd player is not playing the mp3's.

mp3 CDs

Reply #10
Has anybody tried the new Ultradisc CD-Rs from Mobile  Fidelity Sound Lab for burning mp3s to disc?