Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: JackD questions (Read 2458 times) previous topic - next topic

JackD questions

In Win7x64, I can use this command:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\jackd.exe" -R -S -d portaudio "DirectSound::Microphone (USB Audio Device)"
, I have been able use the CONNECTIONS on Jack Control to route L & R channels from the USB microphone to the (apparently to the) default sound output device.  This device happens to be a set of headphones on the onboard sound card.  But I didnt tell jackd to use default/headphones, so I believe it selected it by default.

Q1:
How can I pick an output device to use?  Everytime I use "-d portaudio -d "DEVICE" where DEVICE isnt an input device it crashes.

Q2:
But what does the Patchbay do?  I do absolutely nothing in there and I can still route audio from mic to headphones.

Q2:
My ultimate goal is to be able to route audio between 2 applications (have app1's output go to app2's input and vice versa) but neither app supports jackd, but I though I would be able to do this by installing ASIO4ALL V2?  And possibly would I have to compile portaudio as well?  Or if this just isnt possible in Win but is in Linux please let me know

Thanks for any help.  If

JackD questions

Reply #1
Hello.

The jack control application has some bugs in this version (in my experience), but it is still functional.

In my case, i run the following command
jackd.exe -R -m -dportaudio -dASIO::ASIO4ALL v2 -r44100 -p512

That can be setup from jack control setting portaudio as the driver, and then looking (just looking) the name on the output device (selecting it will allow to copy the text).
Leave the box as (default), and copy the name into the Interface box. The buttons on the right should allow to autoselect the driver,but they make the aplication crash.

The patchbay is a place to store wiring configurations. It is a "preset manager" of sorts. The important place is the Connect, where you actually route audio.

About routing audio between two applications, JACK2 (i.e the current JACK version, 1.9.x) has an ASIO driver. If you have the jack daemon running, you should see an audio device named JackRoute.  I've only tried it as audio ouput (haven't tried it as input).

Finally, there's another option that i haven't yet tried which is networked audio. You don't need this for the setup you describe, but would allow applications even in two different networked machines to send audio to each other.

JackD questions

Reply #2

Hello.

The jack control application has some bugs in this version (in my experience), but it is still functional.

In my case, i run the following command
jackd.exe -R -m -dportaudio -dASIO::ASIO4ALL v2 -r44100 -p512

That can be setup from jack control setting portaudio as the driver, and then looking (just looking) the name on the output device (selecting it will allow to copy the text).
Leave the box as (default), and copy the name into the Interface box. The buttons on the right should allow to autoselect the driver,but they make the aplication crash.

The patchbay is a place to store wiring configurations. It is a "preset manager" of sorts. The important place is the Connect, where you actually route audio.

About routing audio between two applications, JACK2 (i.e the current JACK version, 1.9.x) has an ASIO driver. If you have the jack daemon running, you should see an audio device named JackRoute.  I've only tried it as audio ouput (haven't tried it as input).

Finally, there's another option that i haven't yet tried which is networked audio. You don't need this for the setup you describe, but would allow applications even in two different networked machines to send audio to each other.

thanks for trying to help me here.  Was I not supposed to install ASIO drivers from http://www.asio4all.com/?  Because when I did, all of a sudden I cannot use -d "ASIO::ASIO4ALL v2".  But after uninstalling those drivers, I can use that command.  But, I never see a device called JackRoute.  I do see a sound app in the mixer called "Jack Server for windows"  But I actually need a device that can be selected to be used by my other apps that I can select a sound device from, like in the window I have from this application:

JackD questions

Reply #3
You misunderstood me regarding the jackroute.

In the other applications, if it supports ASIO, there will be a "soundcard" called JackRoute, which will make the application to output to jack daemon. It will autolink the application (which will appear in the connect window) to the output speakers.