Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playback 24/96 Hi-Res files with SoX (foo_dsp_resampler) (Read 5061 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback 24/96 Hi-Res files with SoX (foo_dsp_resampler)

Hi guys,
a friend of mine posed a foobar2000 usage question to me, to which I don't think I can give a good answer.
Can someone please offer some knowledge, tips and suggestions on this topic, thanks.

Here is my friends question:
I play back 24/96 Hi-Res files in foobar2000 over a system that only support lower sample rates.
I see that I can put SoX ("foo_dsp_resampler" component) into the mix by adding it to playback under preferences.
Is that what I should be doing? Will that give me better results than just letting the computer deal with the 24/96 files?
Also, I noticed that SoX apparently dithers, so I don't need foobar to dither. Is that right?
Any suggestions you have would be most welcome.

Thanks

Reply #1
If your friend's 24/96 files are playing through a DAC not capable of handling that sample rate, then down-conversion is happening before the data leaves the PC.  Modern versions of Windows resample all audio sources to a common bit depth and sample rate when running in default "Shared Mode".  (This is typically configurable through the playback device settings within the Control Panel "Sound" applet.)  To determine if there is any benefit to using the SoX resampler, you first need to give foobar2000 "Exclusive Mode" access to the sound card otherwise resampling will take place twice.  You do this by installing the WASAPI component and configuring foobar2000 to use it (Preferences > Playback > Output > Device).  Once you have done this, you should find that the 24/96 files will no longer play through the DAC.  Now you can download and add the "Resampler (SoX)" to the foobar2000 playback chain (Preferences > Playback > DSP Manager) and configure it to resample all output to a rate your DAC can handle.  There are other settings in the resampler with which to optionally experiment, but read the thread first for some guidance.  Because you are changing only the sample rate -- not the bit depth -- there is no need to be concerned with dither.

P.S. I hadn't visited the SoX Resampler page in a while and just now noticed there are two "Mod" versions available that provide control over which files get resampled.  Assuming the resampler will be set to 48000, if your friend also plays CD rips he can exclude processing of "44100"; no need to resample something the DAC can certainly handle (unless the DAC glitches over sample rate changes between tracks.)

Reply #2
SoX (standalone utility) does dither, but foo_dsp_resampler does not. And (almost?) all other DSP components do not dither.