Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foo_uie_albumart (Read 1103232 times) previous topic - next topic

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #100
As I said, previous versions were working in Win98SE. However, it did cross my mind that something may have changed in the current version that broke compatability, but I didn't see it mentioned. 

Rob

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #101
It seems that upgrading to the current version (v0.034) has caused cover art to stop displaying completely (both folder.jpg and default.jpg). It was working fine yesterday with the previous version (which I, unfortunatley, didn't save).

There are no error messages or crashes on foobar startup. The panel shows in the sidebar. MSVCP71.dll is in Windows\System. I've also tried with it in the foobar2000 directory and foobar2000\components directory. Also tried with a fresh foobar.cfg. I've used the Album Art Panel reset. I've also tried disabling the Tab Panel and the Track Info Panel.

Win98SE
foobar2000 v0.8.3
Album Art Panel 0.034
Columns UI 0.1.2 beta 3
Tabbed Panel 0.1.4
Track Info Panel 0.1

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rob
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254442"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use Win98SE as well, and after installing the correct .dlls, it seems to load OK, but nothing shows up at all.

stripe

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #102
Try to download it again. I made a small modification. I doubt that's what it was, but try it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254235"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that did it thanks.

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #103
I just had a cool idea.

(maybe someone has already suggested this)

would it be possible to drag a jpeg onto the album art thing to set it as album art for that album? (i.e. it would be copied to the album's directory)

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #104
Hi, how about an option to resample instead of resize? Image quality still suffers too much from resizing i think.

Regards; ilikedirt

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #105
I think a (possibly) useful feature would be to be able to add a tag to the file with the cover arts filename/path so the plugin only needs to read that for each file rather than having a bunch of variables.  Any reason this wouldn't work?  The tag field could be something like "albumart=X:\Album Covers\filename.jpg"

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #106
Two small requests for this essential plugin :

1 Double click could automatically activate / deactivate the "follows cursor" checkbox in the preferences. It would provide with a consistent behavior compared to the track info panel

2 Multiple instances could be alllowed. See This test fore more information

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #107
spase
yes, it's will be usefull feature

NEMO7538
better i think middle-button

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #108
I think a double click would better be served to open the album art picture in the default picture viewer.

Here's another idea that would be simple for you to implement. Add another checkbox option for the user to specify the dimensions of displayed album art.

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #109
@upNorth: An option for function on double click could work. Got ideas for other functions for double clicking?
Looks like other users have some ideas above. For example:
  • toggle: show picture of playing/focused

• open in external viewer.

Some other ideas:
  • open directory (of playing track)

• focus playing

• next picture (if you decide to add such a "cycle through" feature)

• toggle albumart/picture of artist (see feature request below).

Just wondering, when would you need to refresh the album art? It auto-refreshes whenever you change any of the settings.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254406"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I expected that question 
The thing is, that I don't have albumart for all my albums yet. If I encounter one with no picture, while playing, I use foo_web to find one on Walmart, Amazon or Google and download it. This is when I would like to refresh to make it show up.

I also collect pictures of artists in it's own directory. If no albumart exists, I have set your plugin to look for an image named %artist%.jpg in that specific directory. If it can't find a match it reverts to the default image. Hence I would also like to refresh every time I download a missing artist picture.

This leads to my next feature request. Do you think it would be possible to add an option to toggle between "look for albumart" and "look for picture of artist"? I did this with foo_looks, but thanks to you, I now consider foo_looks history. I don't know if anyone else is interested in such a feature, or collects pictures of artists, but I like the idea of having an image of the person/band playing. Especially when listening to playlists with singles only.

A possible solution could be having two lists of sources in config, and an option to toggle between them. If/when you add support for multiple instances, maybe something like this could be used to have one instance showing the albumart, while the other shows a picture of the artist?

I guess this is enough for now. Sorry if I'm being a PITA   
I really appreciate your work.

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #110
A possible solution could be having two lists of sources in config, and an option to toggle between them. If/when you add support for multiple instances, maybe something like this could be used to have one instance showing the albumart, while the other shows a picture of the artist?
IMO this would limit the possibility of further customisation of this extension e.g. a user might want to add more than two instances for front cover, back cover, insides, artist image, etc. (going a little over the top here ).

Another way of achieving what you want might be use the cycle through feature. A possible method of implementing the cycle through feature could be by moving the source list item with the highest precedence to the bottom when a user toggles cycle through with an action (e.g. double click), bringing the item with the 2nd highest precedence up. This way, going by your description of how you have set up your source list, cycle through as well as toggling between artist/album art would work.

As for this method working for multiple instances, I'm not too sure if the UIE architecture allows for each instance to have its own source list order, but going by how multiple instances of the album list panel allows each instance to have its own view, I'm guessing it's possible. However, this creates a problem of which source list order should the config page bring up?

Anyway, rexy, just want to add that I really appreciate your work as well.

Edit: I conveniently assumed that all items on the source list would find matching images and how confusing it would be if an item fails to find a match. Perhaps then it would be better to leave the precedence in the config alone, and just cycle through available images. Downside would be that multiple instances would not be able to remember which view to show... Hmm, back to square one?

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #111
Yeah, I know my first idea was limited to two instances, but it was the best I came up with. I don't really like such limitations myself, so it was a bad idea.

I don't know how much rexy what's to do with this plugin, so I'll just add my ideas, but I don't expect anything.

How about making the "sources" list a part of a preset? Very similar to the way the album list works (name and value, with the "sources" list as a part of the value). The config could be redesigned to show presets only, and all current settings could be a part of the "edit/new preset" dialog. Then you could add a new instance and select it's active preset from the context menu.

This way you could have panels showing pictures based on: Genre, Mood, codec, label and so on.

Totally over the top, but at the same time it would be completely up to the user to decide how to use it.

With my limited knowledge of the SDK and album list source, it doesn't sound that hard to make either.   

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #112
Quote from: spase,Nov 17 2004, 07:29 AM

I just had a cool idea.

(maybe someone has already suggested this)

would it be possible to drag a jpeg onto the album art thing to set it as album art for that album? (i.e. it would be copied to the album's directory)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a possibility. I'll add it to the to-do list. Maybe I'll get to it sometime.

Quote from: ilikedirtthe2nd,Nov 17 2004, 07:33 AM

Hi, how about an option to resample instead of resize? Image quality still suffers too much from resizing i think.

Regards; ilikedirt
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254531"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Whenever you resize you resample anyway. I assume you're requesting a better resampling algorithm. Right now, I'm just using StretchBlt. I think its filters are pretty ok actually. If you want better resampling, find me an easy to implement alternative to StretchBlt and I'll see what I can do (and no, I'm not going to implement OpenGL just for good resizing... too much work for improving something that already works pretty well).

Quote from: Duble0Syx,Nov 17 2004, 09:14 AM

I think a (possibly) useful feature would be to be able to add a tag to the file with the cover arts filename/path so the plugin only needs to read that for each file rather than having a bunch of variables.  Any reason this wouldn't work?  The tag field could be something like "albumart=X:\Album Covers\filename.jpg"
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254546"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Already possible. Just clear your source list and add "%albumart%" as a source. Voi la.

Quote from: NEMO7538,Nov 17 2004, 10:40 AM

Two small requests for this essential plugin :

1 Double click could automatically activate / deactivate the "follows cursor" checkbox in the preferences. It would provide with a consistent behavior compared to the track info panel

2 Multiple instances could be alllowed. See [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28869&view=findpost&p=254562]This test[/url] fore more information
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254564"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quote from: metal_termite,Nov 17 2004, 11:51 AM

I think a double click would better be served to open the album art picture in the default picture viewer.

Here's another idea that would be simple for you to implement. Add another checkbox option for the user to specify the dimensions of displayed album art.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254585"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Double clicking with user selected functionality will be added.
With my inside version now, host are transfered without crashing foobar and I plan to enable multiple instances as well.
I really don't see why setting the size is important if you have an option to expand to the size of the panel. If you can convince me that it's important I'll implement it.

Quote from: upNorth,Nov 17 2004, 12:46 PM

Quote from: rexy,Nov 17 2004, 12:46 AM
@upNorth: An option for function on double click could work. Got ideas for other functions for double clicking?
Looks like other users have some ideas above. For example:
  • toggle: show picture of playing/focused
  • open in external viewer.
Some other ideas:
  • open directory (of playing track)
  • focus playing
  • next picture (if you decide to add such a "cycle through" feature)
  • toggle albumart/picture of artist (see feature request below).
Quote from: rexy,Nov 17 2004, 12:46 AM
Just wondering, when would you need to refresh the album art? It auto-refreshes whenever you change any of the settings.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254406"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I expected that question 
The thing is, that I don't have albumart for all my albums yet. If I encounter one with no picture, while playing, I use foo_web to find one on Walmart, Amazon or Google and download it. This is when I would like to refresh to make it show up.

I also collect pictures of artists in it's own directory. If no albumart exists, I have set your plugin to look for an image named %artist%.jpg in that specific directory. If it can't find a match it reverts to the default image. Hence I would also like to refresh every time I download a missing artist picture.

This leads to my next feature request. Do you think it would be possible to add an option to toggle between "look for albumart" and "look for picture of artist"? I did this with foo_looks, but thanks to you, I now consider foo_looks history. I don't know if anyone else is interested in such a feature, or collects pictures of artists, but I like the idea of having an image of the person/band playing. Especially when listening to playlists with singles only.

I guess this is enough for now. Sorry if I'm being a PITA   
I really appreciate your work.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254596"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll see about those double click functionalities. Refresh will probably get included as I myself just had to refresh a couple of times when I added some cover art images.
Two lists is a little bit just kind of hardcoding stuff...
Oh, and what's a PITA?

Quote from: desigrid,Nov 17 2004, 02:46 PM

Quote from: upNorth,Nov 17 2004, 12:46 PM
IMO this would limit the possibility of further customisation of this extension e.g. a user might want to add more than two instances for front cover, back cover, insides, artist image, etc. (going a little over the top here ).

Another way of achieving what you want might be use the cycle through feature. A possible method of implementing the cycle through feature could be by moving the source list item with the highest precedence to the bottom when a user toggles cycle through with an action (e.g. double click), bringing the item with the 2nd highest precedence up. This way, going by your description of how you have set up your source list, cycle through as well as toggling between artist/album art would work.

As for this method working for multiple instances, I'm not too sure if the UIE architecture allows for each instance to have its own source list order, but going by how multiple instances of the album list panel allows each instance to have its own view, I'm guessing it's possible. However, this creates a problem of which source list order should the config page bring up?

Anyway, rexy, just want to add that I really appreciate your work as well.

Edit: I conveniently assumed that all items on the source list would find matching images and how confusing it would be if an item fails to find a match. Perhaps then it would be better to leave the precedence in the config alone, and just cycle through available images. Downside would be that multiple instances would not be able to remember which view to show... Hmm, back to square one?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254627"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I was already planning on having a cycle thing... should be pretty easy. Would just go down the list as you left click and if it can't find an image with that source it will keep going down.

Quote from: upNorth,Nov 18 2004, 06:25 AM

Yeah, I know my first idea was limited to two instances, but it was the best I came up with. I don't really like such limitations myself, so it was a bad idea.

I don't know how much rexy what's to do with this plugin, so I'll just add my ideas, but I don't expect anything.

How about making the "sources" list a part of a preset? Very similar to the way the album list works (name and value, with the "sources" list as a part of the value). The config could be redesigned to show presets only, and all current settings could be a part of the "edit/new preset" dialog. Then you could add a new instance and select it's active preset from the context menu.

This way you could have panels showing pictures based on: Genre, Mood, codec, label and so on.

Totally over the top, but at the same time it would be completely up to the user to decide how to use it.

With my limited knowledge of the SDK and album list source, it doesn't sound that hard to make either.   
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254751"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe... going to be arduous, but it might be worth it. Could make it so that you can choose whether left click cycles sources or source lists, but that would mean that order of lists among lists matters and I would need another list control.

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #113
Oh, and what's a PITA?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254797"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess it's a Pain In The Ass 

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #114
I really don't see why setting the size is important if you have an option to expand to the size of the panel. If you can convince me that it's important I'll implement it.

Ok. I was just trying to think of a way to get padding of empty space between the album art and the panel. So it would be perfectly centered in the middle (vertically, and horizontally) of the panel with visible empty space around it.

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #115
metal_termite: So do you want a set padding option or a maximum expansion option? I would think a set padding option would be better and then it would just expand and/or shrink to fit the panel, leaving a certain padding.

jkwarras: I see, thanks.

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #116

Anyone have any idea where to get this now?  I can't find it anywhere.

+Reardon

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #117
metal_termite: So do you want a set padding option or a maximum expansion option? I would think a set padding option would be better and then it would just expand and/or shrink to fit the panel, leaving a certain padding.

jkwarras: I see, thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254807"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes Rexy, a set padding option would be swell. 

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #118
rexy: nearest neighbor interpolation is good in some cases, though i can't agree that it's suitable for album art. one thing you could do is switching to gdi+ library (default on winxp, could be downloaded as dll for others) and using its functions to draw bitmaps - it has options to do bilinear, bicubic and high quality interpolations. it can read pngs too ...

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #119
Anyone have any idea where to get this now?  I can't find it anywhere.

+Reardon
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://members.chello.pl/d.sieradzki/foobar/]http://members.chello.pl/d.sieradzki/foobar/[/url]
just try writing foo_web into google...
besides that, foo_openwith and foo_run could be used for the same task, but foo_web comes with a nice preset of queries and supports export/import

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #120
rexy: nearest neighbor interpolation is good in some cases, though i can't agree that it's suitable for album art. one thing you could do is switching to gdi+ library (default on winxp, could be downloaded as dll for others) and using its functions to draw bitmaps - it has options to do bilinear, bicubic and high quality interpolations. it can read pngs too ...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254837"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm... GDI+ is a good idea. Thanks. I probably will convert it to GDI+ (not too difficult... not a lot of code to convert).

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #121
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254837"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm... GDI+ is a good idea. Thanks. I probably will convert it to GDI+ (not too difficult... not a lot of code to convert).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254880"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
bicubic interpolation would be awesome!

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #122
Just figured out how to use this plugin and I couldn't be more delighted.  I have been using foobar for only a few months, but it is definitely the best music player imo.  With so many people making great components like this one, I can't see the need to use anything else

Thanks again for the album art!
- FLAC/200GB external
- AAC 128 vbr/local
- iPod Nano 2G 8GB

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #123
Gr8 plugin, this is excellent work

Thought I would supply this default art cover for those who *cough* don't like the default one

Looking fwd to PNG support!! Here is the icon in PNG format with transparent bg for when it arrives..

Foo_uie_albumart

Reply #124
The Album Art panel allways redraws here the whole panel and not only the modified or revealed area.

Regards, Lars