Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: crc results question. (Read 6257 times) previous topic - next topic

crc results question.

my confusion: hi, so lets say i rip a cd with one burner, flac and cue style, and then do the same cd but with another burner, should there be the same crc hash? is the hashes are different, how can they both be lossless?
i am probably not understanding something here... but could someone explain it please?
or should a certain cd always give a certain crc, for a wav at least, and then different people will get a different crc due to their pc encoding the wav to flac under slighty different condtions?
help! thank you very much.

crc results question.

Reply #2
what? writing? i'm ripping. or am i confused again?

crc results question.

Reply #3
You said burner, but it looks like I'm the one who's confused.

Do me a favor and post a log for a rip with each drive so I can explain what's going on.  Be sure to put them in a codebox (syntax:<codebox> ... </codebox> except use [] instead of <>).

crc results question.

Reply #4
i meant drive yeah!
ummm.... i deleted my old drives copy, so hmmm..
but if i rip a cd to flac and cue then rip it again the exact same way (same drive), can i get different crc's with them both being lossless/as accurate as each other?

crc results question.

Reply #6
so it's ok to get different results?
(the way i asked my question made it confusing to know what yes or no means in the situation..)
but thank you!

crc results question.

Reply #7
I guess I need to clarify:

No, you cannot have different CRCs when ripping with the same drive (and same method of CRC calculation and with offset correction unchanged) with both versions being accurate.  If the CRCs are different then at least one of the rips will not be accurate.

crc results question.

Reply #8
you are god. thank you.

crc results question.

Reply #9
adding on from this, sure it is old, but it is mine, and the the same information remains
so, adding on from that,  the offset of the drive would matter in the cry of RIPPED files?
do you mean the offset correction unchanged, so, it being changed (and now not correct) would give you incorrect rips? (that makes sense).

and, when the wav file is compressed to flac, say using level 8, the resulting crc would be the same each time? i think i may have asked this once upon a time but i cannot find it. thank you.

crc results question.

Reply #10
I'm not sure if I understood your questions but I'll try to answer them.

so, adding on from that,  the offset of the drive would matter in the cry of RIPPED files?
Yes, if you change the read offset in the drive you will get ripped files with different CRCs.

do you mean the offset correction unchanged, so, it being changed (and now not correct) would give you incorrect rips? (that makes sense).
It would give ripped files with different CRCs from the ripped files you would get with the "correct" read offset for the drive. The rip may still be considered accurate if you use something like CUETools to verify the rip against the AccurateRip database, since,  all other things being equal, the audio data would only have been shifted by a few samples (similar to a different pressing of the CD).

and, when the wav file is compressed to flac, say using level 8, the resulting crc would be the same each time?
If you compress a wav file to flac, and then decompress that flac back to wav, the CRCs of the audio data of the two wav files will be the same, because flac is lossless. If you use a lossless codec, you can compress/decompress as many times as you wish and the audio CRC will never change.

crc results question.

Reply #11
thank you for your time and answers, sorry if i was a bit confusing.

what i meant is, if i use one drive, with a different offset (yet, it is the 'correct offset' for that drive), and another drive, with a different correct offset, but yet again, correct for that drive, both drives would rip the same wave files, with the same crds (hopefully, provided everything went well)
i think i just answered my own question

and, yes ok, i understand that part, being lossless, flac -> wav etc, but say i compress a wave with a flac, and another day, a different computer maybe, i compress that same wave to another flac, using the same compression settings. those flacs themselves, do they necessarily have the same crc?
i understand when you covert them back to wav that they will/should have the same crc, but, in flac, would they?

crc results question.

Reply #12
The flacs themselves can be different depending on machine doing the compression (ex: AMD vs. Intel).  This appears to have been the case with previous versions, at least. If they decompress the same I don't see that it matters all that much.

crc results question.

Reply #13
ah ok, sure, well thanks for the information!