Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What Do You Think About This Speaker By Jbl? (Read 9509 times) previous topic - next topic

What Do You Think About This Speaker By Jbl?

Reply #25
- Chassis size - The DynAudio chassis is somewhat smaller than the JBL and will not be able to play the same amount of bass.

Maybe, I haven't really looked at the JBL's much.  However, at this level and price range, and especially with bookshelves, if you are looking for bass extension, you're going to need to use a sub also.  That's really all there is to it.

- Sound-characteristic - also know as British Sound vs. American Sound. British Sound is more true to the recording and require a lot of energy for placing the speakers correct and installing acoustic enhancments. American Sound manipulates the sound, bass gets sloppy, treble lose detail, but mid-range gets softer, thus makes voices sound better in acoustic non-perfect listening rooms (like most people have).

Umm.. I don't follow.  Dynaudio is neither British or American, it's Danish.  Most of the other high quality driver manufacturers I mentioned are also either Scandanavian or Danish.  So.. the whole American vs British thing.. I don't even see how that fits into the picture.

- $500 - $700 is a considerable amount of money. Don't buy anything if you think it looks horrible. Ugly hifi is harder to sell when you want to upgrade your speakers. (The DynAudio speakers are not ugly). You can only sell ugly stuff to people who know the product, not to just anyone.

Yes, it is a considerable amount of money, but it's also only really "entry level" in regards to really high quality speakers.  And yes, I agree, the Dyn's are certainly not ugly.  Maybe they aren't flashy, but I think Dynaudio's reputation kind of stands for itself.. and that alone should be worth enough for resale value.

Also: One speaker design might be considered higher quality, but it is not important compared to the effect of making acoustic moderations to the listening room. The WOW effect should be obvious when pressing PLAY, but it won't happen unless a lot of work is put into it.

This is true to an extent.  Even the greatest speakers won't sound very good in a bad listening envrionment, yes.  However, poor quality speakers won't sound good period, no matter whether the environment is ideal or not.  I believe that it's kind of a given that the purchaser should understand this when building a high quality system.  Recommendations for high quality speakers shouldn't really need to be prefaced by the "well, they'll only sound good if you have a properly setup environment to play them in", etc.

Just my $.02

Reply #26
I've read quite a few reviews. here's one the summerizes it the best.

I'm still having a problem finding out what's the deal with Dynaudio -Acoustics-, and how good they are compared to the original..

Dynaudio Acoustics should be very high quality.  They use the same Dynaudio drivers as the normal Dynaudio line.  The difference is that Dynaudio Acoustics is meant for the pro market, meaning that they make monitor speakers and stuff which is meant more for studio environments.  Their monitors are supposed to be very high quality (ask MTRH), and in some ways might be ideal since they are self powered (if you don't have an amp, that is), but they're also mostly meant for near field listening, so they aren't really ideal for a traditional hi-fi setup in the living room or something like that.

Reply #27
These are a few possibilities I'm interested in at around $300 that have gotten some good reviews and sound like what I'm looking for:  not much bass but good neutral response throughout

Axiom Audio M2i and M3Ti
Paradigm Titan
PSB Image 2
B & W DM303

pantheranddawg,

I listened to all these except the Axioms (no dealers carried them here), and decided on the PSB Image 2B's.  The Titans are a very good value for the money, but I didn't really like the midrange too much on them.  Also they felt sort of 'cheap'.  The BW's were sounded honestly awesome with the BW sub the dealer hooked them too, but they were about $150 cdn more than the PSB's, and the dealer wasn't bargaining too much.  I got a nice deal on the PSB's, and for my ears they sound pretty neutral.  Not a ton of bass, but my paradigm pw2200 sub takes care of that 

Also I listened to the Paradigm Monitor 3's (might be wrong on the name, but it was the lowest in the Monitor line), and while they pumped considerably more bass than the PSB's, the high-end was harsher, and they were more expensive.  Still, with nice bass, you may want to check them out - especially if you aren't planning on purchasing a sub.

Reply #28
Maybe, I haven't really looked at the JBL's much.  However, at this level and price range, and especially with bookshelves, if you are looking for bass extension, you're going to need to use a sub also.  That's really all there is to it.

You are probably right. The only way to get any decent bass would be a sub. But a good sub is $500-$1,000 on top. If you cut the chassis volume in two or double it, you still have a bookshelf speaker.

Umm.. I don't follow.  Dynaudio is neither British or American, it's Danish.  Most of the other high quality driver manufacturers I mentioned are also either Scandanavian or Danish.  So.. the whole American vs British thing.. I don't even see how that fits into the picture.

The "British Sound" and "American Sound" are just nick names. The concept was discussed a lot from mid 80s to mid 90s in the "hi-fi" magazines. It is also known as "sound colouring/manipulation". Basicly several British speaker manufactures, including Linn and B&W, tried to reproduce sound as close to the source as possible. When you do this, a bad recording will sound bad and you need to make several modifications to the listening room. However, in America companies like JBL, Infinity and Snell tried to manipulate the reproduced sound, thus hiding errors in bad recordings and making speaker placement easier. In short: With the proper listening enviroment, the uncoloured sound will sound best. With ordinary listening enviroment, coloured sound will sound better.

There are many ways to colour the sound. One of the more simpler ways is to put less/more absorbant material inside the speaker. Anyone can test this: Remove your bass units, put an old T-Shirt inside the speaker, put the bass units back. This trick does wonders for mid-range, but kills treble and bass.

This is true to an extent.  Even the greatest speakers won't sound very good in a bad listening envrionment, yes.  However, poor quality speakers won't sound good period, no matter whether the environment is ideal or not.  I believe that it's kind of a given that the purchaser should understand this when building a high quality system.  Recommendations for high quality speakers shouldn't really need to be prefaced by the "well, they'll only sound good if you have a properly setup environment to play them in", etc.

I agree that poor quality speakers won't sound any good. But a pair of cheap B&W speakers, i.e. $300/pair in my living room will sound much better than the DynAudio in my bathroom. It is a very common mistake to use weeks listening to different speakers and then choosing a rather expensive model only to install it improperly. When you have your expensive speakers, take the time to move your furniture around. And don't be affraid to do a little research on absorbant and diffusing materials. Acoustic improvements are rather cheap. A room can typically be done for $100 unless one has 10 thumbs. And we are really talking dramatic improvements, not subtle improvements as is normal in the audiophile world.

Since I live in Denmark, I have absolutely nothing against the DynAudio speakers

Reply #30
check out this 1D Surround Sound Speaker Projector

And then look at the price tag.. 

Hehe.  I read an article about this thing somewhere, but I don't remember where exactly.  It sounded interesting, but the unit is definitely not really "high performance" in the traditional sense.  The technology still has a long ways to go before it can even begin to compete with other loudspeakers in that insanely high "cost-no-object" range

Reply #31
SK1:

Have you tried browsing http://www.hometheaterforum.com?
There's an extremely knowledgeable community of posters there...just like here   
Good Luck

By the way, some posts there go unanswered for quite a while sometimes, either because the topic has been coverd many times (like this one, actually) or just because.  So don't forget to try the search function. 
I want NBC's Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!

Reply #32
No i haven't, thank you.

Reply #33
So which speakers would be the best ones to get if money was not an object.

Reply #35

Custom speakers tailored and optimised for your listening room...

Reply #36

OMG Don't make us dream...
I once had the opportunity to listen to the B&W Nautilus 804 .. awesome !
But we are talking $3500 a piece now