Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2220219 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #3725
It's like everyone involved just disappeared off the face of the earth or something.

Wouldn't be surprised if Apple sent their goons after them.

Reply #3726
(...)
It's like everyone involved just disappeared off the face of the earth or something.    If it can't be done it would be helpful (and professional) to know that so we can all move on to getting rid of our iPods or capitulate and become slaves to the almighty totalitarian fruit. (...)

If you want professional, maybe go and ask over at the MediaMonkey forum, as they charge for their software and presumably have more than one person working on it.
foo_dop was a closed-source component developed by one person, who hasn't been seen on Hydrogenaudio for quite a long time. As far as I know, nobody knew him(?) personally, so there's no way to contact him. Nobody else on this thread knows any more than you do, literally.

kompot did put together a combination of components and javascript that leverages iTunes to actually sync the music, but foobar to tag to your preference. Your files are processed, placed in a different folder, and then synced to iTunes. It's a reasonable workaround for what appears to be an intransigent problem:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=93063

Reply #3727
Intransigent problem? What is the compromise? Just use itunes? Ok just tell me how to get my auto playlists, ratings and album art over into itunes and i'll use it.

Really, I have an iPod that hasn't been functional for several months at this point. In fact if anyone knows how to roll my ipod back to the last working firmware then i am willing to do that to get it functional.

Reply #3728
I take that back Frogworth.. you are right. I am wiping my iPod, restoring firmware 4.3 and regaining my functionality. Thanks, not sure why I didn't do this sooner.

Reply #3729
Jesus fuck im tearing my hair out. I don't have the shsh blob to downgrade to 4.3.3

Reply #3730
this plugin is awesome! but please update it so i can use it with my ios 5.1 iphone

Reply #3731
Well screw that. Gave up on trying to get back to 4.3.3. I wiped my entire device, disabled all itune syncing and resynced with foobar, i've at least got my music playlists back on a 5.1 device. Basic functionality re-attained.

Part of me wishes I could get functional album art, the other part of me is just glad the thing plays music again.

Reply #3733
Hey all,
this component isn't working for me on my iPod Touch 3G with iOS 4.1 installed, which should be supported, right?

I am getting "AMDeviceNotificationGetThreadHandle" error when I start foobar2000 and do not see any iPod devices in foobar2000 afterwards. I am running Windows 7 x64, by the way.

I should maybe note that I did not install iTunes, but extracted the Mobile Device and Application Support from the iTunes installed and installed them separately. The Apple Mobile Device service is running of course.

Can anyone help me fix this error?

Reply #3734
Hey all,
this component isn't working for me on my iPod Touch 3G with iOS 4.1 installed, which should be supported, right?

(..)

Can anyone help me fix this error?

It's possible that the latest versions of iTunes are no longer supported. The component hasn't been updated for a while now.
Make sure you're not using the experimental version 0.6.9.7. That causes problems.

Reply #3735
Does anybody here still have an older version of the iTunes/Mobile Device and Application Support software installer that works with this? Would be awesome

Reply #3737
Ok guys/gals, there is a workaround that could be used as a base for a new plugin/script, it just needs a coder to pick it up.
But even before someone has made a plugin, it is less painful than to sync with iTunes (at least for me).

For now, this will work only with jailbroken iDevices. And it requires some third-party software from Cydia, which is not free - it's called PwnTunes. I think it costs about $12. I found it worth the price, as besides the ability to move your music to/from your iDevice, it gives you the option to use this device as a portable USB stick and save your files directly to it. Though I think it has a nasty bug with mp3 files, so in order to be on the safe side, you better use aac-encoded files with it. Another reason to use aac is that only this way you can have your albumart copied over to the device. In other words, if you embed albumart into mp3 files and then copy them to the iDevice (with PwnTunes installed), the files will appear in your Music app, but they will have no albumart assigned to them.

So, what you need to do for preparation:

1. in Cydia, you need to purchase and install a nice package named PwnTunes (costs several bucks)
2. make sure it works with your computer. if you have winxp, maybe you'll have to navigate to [your iDevice\Misc\Windows Xp Fix], then copy and install the .exe file contained there. don't worry, it's not a malware, it will just make your system recognize the device as a portable and not as a camera.
3. now, navigate to [iDevice\Internal Storage\My Music]. This is the new shiny folder to copy your music to. you can copy it altogether with the folders and any additional files. which is pretty conveniet.
4. if you, like me, prefer to have your main music collection in lossless formats, you will need to convert the music you want to copy to the iDevice to another format (you can use aac lossless, though, if you like). go to foobar, open the Converter dialog and make a preset to convert your files to a format you want. I chose Nero aac (you will need the nero aac encoder for that), VBR at 195 kbit/s. it can be even easier if you create a folder on your desktop to use as an intermediary between your foobar and your iDevice. then configure your converter preset to always send the converted files to this folder. you can do it like this: in the Converter Setup, click Destination, then specify a folder, then click on "Convert each track to individual file", and in the "Name Format" field paste this string:
%artist% - %album% / [%disc%.]%track% %title%
then save the preset.

From now on, every time you want to copy your music to your iDevice, all you need to do is right-click the desired tracks, select your saved conversion preset, wait for it to convert, then drag the converted files into foobar again, and attach the albumart to them. and then just copy them over to the "My Music" folder on your iDevice. it can be even less pain when someone will write a script to do all this in one click. as soon as the files are copied, you open the Music app, wait a few seconds (depending on how many tracks you copied) for it to import them, and voila. Then, in order to delete your files from the iDevice, you go the "My Music" folder and simply delete the folder containing the album.

Good luck and keep us posted if it works for you, too! 

Reply #3738
so from what i understand nobody is able to get an iphone 4th gen to work with this plugin?

until the creator comes back or something major gets done?

Reply #3739
so from what i understand nobody is able to get an iphone 4th gen to work with this plugin?

until the creator comes back or something major gets done?

that's how it is

Reply #3740
anybody has their regular iPod working?

Reply #3741
When I try to put songs on my iPod Nano 6G I get a "DB Version 5 requires iPhoneCalc.dll. Write operations are disabled" error. I have foobar2000 v1.1.10 and I am using foo_dop-0.6.9.7 on windows 7 64 bit and I have iPhoneCalc.dll as well.

Reply #3742
MusicMusic please come back!!!!

We need you Sir!

from all music lovers in despair around the world

Reply #3743
Mediamonkey has a BETA that works fine now with iOS 5

Reply #3744
I got this working with my ipod, but only barely. Syncing works, but album art doesn't work nor does scrobbling.

Just popping in to say that there are still people out there interested in getting iOS5 support still!!!!

Reply #3745
Just popping in to say that this still works great with my Classic. But I do have 1 annoyance that I can't seem to correct...

When syncing, I keep getting the same error for 5 files: "failed to add file to ipod: object not found" The kicker is they do exist, and are already on the ipod. So far I've tried deleting dupes, recovering orphaned tracks, remove dead items, rewrite itunes db, double-checking tags & file locations etc., and deleting the files from playlist > sync > re-add... all kinds of stuff. Still get the same error every time. o_O

Screenies:

http://gyazo.com/b97ac00c02c6b24789925bca5....png?1337894654

http://gyazo.com/b7f34aa5ed2defb38f44e9c42....png?1337894734

Driving me nuts. Any thoughts? Am I just doing something in the wrong order or overlooking something simple? lol
The same except different.

Reply #3746
I got this working with my ipod, but only barely. Syncing works, but album art doesn't work nor does scrobbling.

Just popping in to say that there are still people out there interested in getting iOS5 support still!!!!

Mediamonkey works like a charm.

Reply #3747
Any thoughts? Am I just doing something in the wrong order or overlooking something simple? lol

I used to get the same error.

One thing I don't like about foo_dop is how it creates files on the iPod. iTunes would create a random, unique filename. The foo_dop component, on the other hand, uses the first eight characters of the source filename. Since two files with the same filename cannot exist within the same folder, foo_dop modifies the second file to keep it unique.

For example. I used to name my music files as "Track**.mp3" (where "**" is the track number). Needles to say, you're going to have several instances of "Track01.mp3" in the same folder. So, this is what happens:

File #1 - F00\Track01.mp3

File #2 - F00\Track(1).mp3

File #3 - F00\Track(2).mp3

... and so on.

Eventually, you'll wind up with "Trac(99).mp3". I don't think it will go up to "Tra(100).mp3". Thus, the hiccup.

This, of course, is just my guess....

Reply #3748
Mediamonkey works like a charm.

Does Mediamonkey have built in converting during syncing? All my music is in FLAC and I am not about to convert all my music and have doubles if I can save time and just use foo_dop.

On top of that, how will I get all my playlists into MediaMonkey from foobar? And why would I even want to use mediamonkey because I already have foboar and love it and have customized it to everything I want it to be?