Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EARWAX: Another Headphone DSP (Read 6897 times) previous topic - next topic

EARWAX: Another Headphone DSP

In the SOX documentation there's a link to EarWax, an effect available in SOX that should give results similar to
Crossfeed (Trelane's fb2k/winamp plugin) and
Headplug (Winamp plugin by hustbaer).

I'll probably include it in my Headphone plugin test when something that's got higher priority on my to-do list is done.

Has anyone tried it already?
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #1
I've created some samples using SOX+Earwax and added the links to the Headphone Plugin Test thread.

I listened to it myself. Here my findings:

+ in some cases I tested (e.g. castanets) the sound seems to be moved in front a bit indeed. It seems to work pretty well (i.e. moving sounds outof the head) with high pitched sounds/instruments

- The sound is changed very much: less bass; more, too sharp hights
- Clipping is easily produced: castanets needs to be amplified by 0.7 to avoid (awfully sounding) clipping
- Having a look at spectral view it's clearly noticable that the echos and filters applied caused some frequency bands to disappear - decombing would be necessary.

Result: I don't like it - it makes listening through headphones much worse.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #2
Just curious - has anyone tried this again on a newer version of SoX?

If yes, are there any improvements to warrant using it now almost 9 years after this thread was started?

Thanks!

Reply #3
Just curious - has anyone tried this again on a newer version of SoX?
If yes, are there any improvements to warrant using it now almost 9 years after this thread was started?

There hasn't been any development on the earwax effect, as far as I can see.