Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Audio] Noob setting up 5.1 on a gaming computer! (Read 1138 times) previous topic - next topic

[Audio] Noob setting up 5.1 on a gaming computer!

Hello!

Over the last week I have gone from being a total caveman at audio to being less of a caveman at audio.
I have gained some knowledge, read forums up and down, googled here and there and I am left with a few questions.

But first I will tell you my purposes;

5.1 surround system with my gaming computer
    - Gaming is first priority
    - Blu-ray is second priority

While keeping in mind that only hdmi and multichannel analog can carry lossless PCM(Or PCB?) signals, here are my questions:

1.  I have chosen to go with a sound card instead of a  receiver. In that case I am forced to use 6 x RCA analog cables from the speakers to the sound card. True or false?

2. Most sound cards have three inputs, Green-(left,right) Black-(rear-left,rear-right) Orange-(Center,LFE(Sub)). I noticed these fit perfectly with "PC speakers". What if I wanted to connect 5.1 surround speakers that were originally meant for a home theater, on a TV?

3.  Are there any sound cards that support 6 channel analog inputs to go with the 6 RCA cables?? If yes, please link me some good options. Price doesn't matter. Or are the 6 channels distributed over the three inputs?

4. If I were to go with a HDMI cable, I have to use a receiver instead. True or false?

5. I have seen video cards being mentioned in some forums about audio and sound cards, what's that all about? How does a GPU comes into play here? Provide a detailed description please!

Finally, here is a general question if you want to add a general detailed description instead...... How do I setup a 5.1 surround system to my computer that will take use of lossless audio? (wav samples at 1411kbit bitrate(4233kbit bitrate) or more)

Thanks in advance,

- lillemakken

P.S! ..... Everything is so far hypothetical. I have not yet bought anything. I am in the planning stage