Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp5.1 RC3 with AAC+v2 encoder leaked (Read 121059 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp5.1 RC3 with AAC+v2 encoder leaked

Reply #75
what exactly is aac+ and how good is it compared to mp3/aac (for HQ encoding)?

Reply #76
I would like to repeat my question for dimzon : could the coder be altered so that it can take source from stdin ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325506"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you provide me sample howto read binary data from stdin in ANSI C it will be very easy
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325521"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think just changing
Code: [Select]
inputFile = fopen(inputFileName,"rb");

to
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <io.h>

_setmode(_fileno(stdin), _O_BINARY);
inputFile = stdin;

should work (non ANSI C though).

Reply #77
what exactly is aac+ and how good is it compared to mp3/aac (for HQ encoding)?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AACPlus (also known as HE AAC) is designed for low-bitrate quality, but is not designed for high quality. Use AAC, FLAC or another format for transparent and near-transparent audio.

AACPlus is for streaming Internet at low bitrates. AACPlus v1 is the base (HE AAC) and AACPlus v2 adds PS (Parametric Stereo) features. See the [a href="http://www.aacplus.net]http://www.aacplus.net[/url] website for more info about this interesting format.

It should sound better at 48k bps than MP3, MP3 Pro or plain AAC LC do at 48k bps. It is suggested to be used for 96k bps or less in all the docs I've read about it. For higher quality use AAC LC, MP3 or another format at 128k bps or better.

It is not designed to replace AAC and higher bitrate formats, but rather to fill the void for a good sounding, low-bitrate format for streaming or portable devices. I believe it is the best sounding (AACPlus v2 with PS) lossy codec at 48k bps there is currently out there in general use. We will need to wait for a listening test to confirm this, but based on all tests provided by Coding Technologies, it is better than the other low bitrate formats.

Many Internet streaming stations are using AACPlus streams now because of the good quality it provides at low bitrates. See http://www.tuner2.com/ for a list of these AACPlus Internet radio stations.

Give it a try. I think you will be impressed at 48k (AACPlus v2 with PS) or 64k (AACPlus v1 without PS). It was designed to be better than MP3PRO at lower bitrates.

According to a recent listening test of various AACPlus encoders (at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....topic=36868&hl= ), the Coding Technologies one used by WinAmp 5.1 and Real wins over the older Nero HE-AAC encoder version, although Ivan, one of Nero's developers is claiming a new v2 release of Nero HE-AAC to be coming in the next "few weeks".

Also in this listening test, AACPlus v1 at 64k (no PS) sounds a bit better quality than AACPlus v2 with PS. This is to be expected as to the more bits used in 64k over 48k. But 48k bps AACPlus v2 with PS is still a very good sounding codec for streaming audio.

Reply #78
I figured out how to copy tags in foobar, and it's pretty simple. Load the source file and transcoded file into foobar. Click on the source file to select it, then click on the MP4/M4A file you made while holding down the control key. Both files should be highlighted in foobar. Now right click on them and go to Masstagger>Copy tags and that will do it. As far as I can tell it should work for multiple files as well, but I haven't tried doing that yet.

Edit: Yup, copying tags works great for a bunch of files. Just load the source files and transcoded files into a playlist. Make sure the order of the transcoded files in the list matches that of the source files in the list. Select them all, click on Masstagger>Copy tags and that should do it. Man, been using foobar forever and I still find new things to love about it.

Another edit: I just noticed the genre tag isn't getting copied over for some reason. foobar 0.9 Beta 8 does not have this problem, so that's now another reason to use it I guess (the other being proper reporting of AAC stream info regardless of whether it's in an M4A/MP4 container or not).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325503"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry for delayed response, been pretty busy past couple of days.  Thanks for getting back with me about the easier way to tag in Foobar.  I still hadn't got a chance to mess with it, will prob be sometime this weekend.

Reply #79
The foo_mpeg4u.dll only worked in foobar ver 0.83 here. offering the missing utf8api.dll error when loading attempted in the latest beta of foobar ver 0.9 .  In xmplay, indicated bitrate for 56 kbps files after conversion was 111kbps, as had happened using mp4creator.  Also, as with mp4creator. the file shrank significantly. I don't believe the AAC came through unharmed.
Has anyone posted a batch file with parameters for attempting this using mp4box? My commandline and batch skills have diminished appreciably since DOS passed ver 4.0 .

Reply #80
ReUpload it here

Reply #81
dimzon, even with pre-resampled (using SSRC) audio, such as for audiobooks or comedy records, I can't get your program to encode monaural 32000 Hz audio.

I've tried both incarnations: the first, with *.dll support, allowed one to specify samplerate, and the second, without *.dll support, does not; unfortunately, neither produces an AAC file. Instead they give a message saying the audio must be 16-bit (it is) and that they are unable to find the file specified (it's there).

Here are the command-lines I have tried:

aacEnc.exe "resample.wav" "resample.aac" "32000" "1" "12000" "0"

aacEncPlus.exe "resample.wav" "resample.aac" "12000" "1" "0"

Is this a known glitch, or is there something else I might have overlooked?

- M.

Reply #82
FrzzMan said:
"MP3Tag must have packed it into some kind of container."
FrzzMan requested:
"Can you send me a small clip (few seconds is enough) encoded by this encoder and tagged by MP3Tag?"

I'm sorry not to have responded earlier, but when I saw that the tag info MP3tag pasted on didn't show up in foobar2000, I thought I must have been mistaken.  But today I noticed that Betaplayer for PocketPC -- a May build -- does read the tag info. (I noticed only because I'd had to rename for DOS different versions of Foghat's #1 hit; then I spotted that BetaPlayer wasn't reading the file name but the tag info that MP3tag had superimposed). Of course, it's only  on the Pocket Loox 720 that I care, since I prefer listening to FLAC files on the PC.
Anyway, send me a PM with a mail address and I'll send you a file.
Incidentally, I do notice that the Pocket Loox -- directly against my chest in a shirt pocket -- doesn't heat up with these files as it did when I used *.ogg.
BTW, I just see that Nero 7 arrives mid-October... Is that to be the general public's first opportunity to hear Ahead's AACPlus ? Ivan Dimkovic's postings had made it seem more imminent than that.

Reply #83
Hello, Mp3tag appends APEv2 (or ID3v1 depending on the option settings) tags to files with *.aac extensions, like foobar 0.8.3
The 0.9 version of foobar doesn't seem to support this anymore.

Reply #84
BTW, I just see that Nero 7 arrives mid-October... Is that to be the general public's first opportunity to hear Ahead's AACPlus ? Ivan Dimkovic's postings had made it seem more imminent than that.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326570"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We have had HE-AAC support out for a few years already...

(aacPlus is just one brands' name for HE-AAC. Ours is called NeroDigital, but it is the same technology)

Reply #85
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326570"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We have had HE-AAC support out for a few years already...

(aacPlus is just one brands' name for HE-AAC. Ours is called NeroDigital, but it is the same technology)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326592"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think he meant to say aacPlusv2, aka HE-AAC+PS. I wouldn't mind knowing the answer as well.

Reply #86
.aac streams can be muxed into .mp4 with mp4box or mp4creator
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How about mp4UI 1.0 RC 2?
[a href="http://mp4ui.sourceforge.net/]http://mp4ui.sourceforge.net/[/url]
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #87
Thanks Digisurfer... yes, that's what I meant.
I've another question for the golden eared here: what types of music will best test the tweaked AAC implementations at bit rates around 64 kbps?
I propose this 4/5 Yes reunion as being particularly telling: http://tinyurl.com/daucl ; detail slipped and some vocals seemed muffled with the encoder in Winamp 5.1.  I'm suspecting that the SBR algorithms just cannot cope with allocating bits to music with so wide a frequency range at high energy.
What I'm getting at is whether the types of distortion, especially pre-echo, that are the enemy in MP3 are supplanted by new gremlins in max tweaked HE-AAC.
Still and all, I'm awed at the quality now attainable at these bit rates.  I remember being sceptical when Roberto said four years ago that he thought AAC would ultimately rule... but no longer!

Reply #88
Any luck with streams from stdin (dimzon) ?

Reply #89
Any luck with streams from stdin (dimzon) ?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

try [a href="http://sr2.mytempdir.com/169083]this[/url]

Sorry, use this

Reply #90
YES !! This one can use stdin (thanks for all your effort) but the DOS window in which the coder runs doesn't seem to close automatically, that is, the encoder seems to get stuck at the endpoint when encoding from stdin.
Can anyone confirm this ?
testcmd :
aacenc - test.aac --cbr 48000 --chmode 4 --samplerate 44100 <test.wav

Reply #91
Any chance of this winamp plugin being turned into a icecast source at all?

Nevermind - found the lastet oddcast will use it to stream. I am getting huuuuuuge lag with it tho, but I think thats an icecast problem.

Reply #92
Any chance of this winamp plugin being turned into a icecast source at all?

Nevermind - found the lastet oddcast will use it to stream. I am getting huuuuuuge lag with it tho, but I think thats an icecast problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=330552"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

how do you get the oddsock plugin work with aacplus?
It only supports libaac as oddsock said.

Reply #93
how do you get the oddsock plugin work with aacplus?
It only supports libaac as oddsock said.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=330982"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I downloaded the latest, put the enc_aacplus.dll from the latest winamp in the foobar directory, and the option appeared in the add encoder screen.

Reply #94
I downloaded the latest, put the enc_aacplus.dll from the latest winamp in the foobar directory, and the option appeared in the add encoder screen.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331008"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is there a quick and easy way to get the enc_aacplus.dll winamp plugin to work via the foobar diskwriter?  Not using Shoutcast, but just for the sake of batch encodes via foobar (and all of the nice DSPs) to AAC+PS files.
-CTB

Reply #95
Is there a quick and easy way to get the enc_aacplus.dll winamp plugin to work via the foobar diskwriter?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331190"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes there is. I think the info is on the first page of this thread, or the second.

Reply #96
I'm trying to uninstall the Transcoder v0.5 from one of my Winamp 2.91 installations, it didn't work at all and now Winamp just freezes when it's trying to open.  It doesn't even display the whole skin before freezing.

What files should I remove?  Does it alter any existing files or registry values I should know about to remove/edit?

[edit] i rebooted and so far it seems to be ok, although i'm afraid to close winamp and try to reopen it.  i just removed the dll files and the exe. i'll update with an edit2 if it freezes again. [/edit]

Reply #97
well it wasnt that hard to abx the difference between he aac and ps aac (winamp used for encoding) on this random sample (PINK, Get the party started).

foo_abx v1.2 report
foobar2000 v0.8.3
2005/10/19 15:49:24

File A: file://C:\!tmp3\pink48aache.aac
File B: file://C:\!tmp3\pink48aacplus.aac

15:49:32 : Test started.
15:50:10 : 01/01  50.0%
15:50:26 : 02/02  25.0%
15:50:39 : 03/03  12.5%
15:50:50 : 04/04  6.3%
15:51:02 : 05/05  3.1%
15:51:08 : 06/06  1.6%
15:51:17 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 6/6 (1.6%)

(hard to say which one is less annoying thought...)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #98
Anyway to grab the newest copy of dimzon's aacenc.exe?
Transcoder plugin doesn't work here, nothing happens or winamp simply crash...

Reply #99
Daijoubu, I think it's calling some stuff with the Media Library plugin that isn't present in 2.x gen_ml.  Running 5.x gen_ml doesn't work in 2.x either, i've tried it many times/ways.