Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Vorbis Packet Independence (Read 5439 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Vorbis Packet Independence

I have been working on a project streaming MP3 audio over a network to a hardware decoder. In order for this to work the MP3 frames had to be re-arranged prior to sending as they were not independent (byte-reservoir, back-data pointer).

Is this the case for Ogg Vorbis streams, or is each packet independent of others (assuming it is not a continuation one set in the header)? I am I safe to parse on packet boundaries, and the decoder deal with them packet at a time? Or is it more complex?

Apologies if this question has been asked before I could not find the answer trawling.

Thanks
Tim

Ogg Vorbis Packet Independence

Reply #1
... or is each packet independent of others (assuming it is not a continuation one set in the header)? I am I safe to parse on packet boundaries, and the decoder deal with them packet at a time? Or is it more complex?

These raw packets may be used directly by transport mechanisms that provide their own framing and packet-separation mechanisms (such as UDP datagrams). For stream based storage (such as files) and transport (such as TCP streams or pipes), Vorbis uses the Ogg bitstream format to provide framing/sync, sync recapture after error, landmarks during seeking, and enough information to properly separate data back into packets at the original packet boundaries without relying on decoding to find packet boundaries.

I am assuming this means yes! Wow what a refreshingly easy format to use; now on to WMA