Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: which online stores to buy international music? (Read 7778 times) previous topic - next topic

which online stores to buy international music?

Here's a slightly OT question, but one I haven't the foggiest clue about where to get the answer.

I'm an American lover of music who is interested in buying legally music from other countries. How do I know which CD/online music stores are legit and actually benefit the artist? I'm very cost-conscious and prefer indie music anyway, so the types of international music for sale on Amazon/itunes tends to be from the bigger labels. Suppose I wanted to buy music from Pakistan/Ukraine/China/Brazil/Chad. What's the best way to identify which labels or online stories are authorized to sell them? Perhaps all I need is a list of the best known online music stores for each region (Yesasia.com, etc).

Maybe what I need is a set of guidelines about which places online are good to purchase from and which are bad?

Anybody have ideas about where to get started? Thanks.

Reply #1
I ended up asking the same question on Slashdot. http://ask.slashdot.org/story/12/11/19/063...tores-are-legit Most of the replies are not particularly useful though always interesting.

I'm writing a music on digital music for consumers, so this is a topic which I'll be investigating very fully.

Reply #2
I don't know.... 

But first, I'd check to see if the artist has a website (or Facebook page).    If they don't sell directly from their site, they should direct you to a legitimate site.    For example, here in the U.S., the artist's page might have a link to CD Baby, iTunes, or Amazon, etc.  If the artist trusts the  seller, it's a good bet that everything else that vendor sells is legitimate.

Reply #4
In the Internet age, national boundaries are becoming less distinct, especially in the realm of music. One of the things that's lead to a lot of interesting music lately is the fact that national boundaries don't matter so much anymore - an artist from Chad or Brazil publishing his music online has exactly the same availability as an artist from, say, the UK. It's not like a few decades ago where he would need to be "found" in a remote location by a talent scout, tape recordings needing to be copied and shipped out across the world, etc. Country-specific or "world music" stores/publishers have little function anymore. Essentially, all music is now world music. Geography is no longer relevant. The best online site to find new music from Country X would theoretically also be the best site to find new music from Country Y.

If what you're looking for is pre-internet or traditional music from a specific culture, there may be sites that specialize in that. But sites like Bandcamp et al allow anyone to publish music there. So, on those types of sites, there should be a proportional representation of all styles - unless artists in a particular style are simply choosing not to publish there.

Reply #5
I just discovered http://www.qobuz.com/ and they have music from punk rock and metal bands that I absolutely love but rarely find at other stores that offer FLAC.

Reply #6
Mp3 Caprice
One of my favorite music sites to buy cheap and high quality mp3

Reply #7
The best way to "trust" a website, is to go to the artist page, and look which store they indicate.
Often artist at myspace, sell their track at beatport, so I would trust that website.
And a lot of artist sells exclusively at bandcamp.

Reply #8
Beatport charges an insane premium for lossless downloads (WAV, AIFF) over lossy. "Army of Mushrooms" by Infected Mushroom, for instance, costs €8.76 for the MP3s, vs. €19.98 for the WAVs, which is a lot more expensive than just ordering the CD from Amazon or elsewhere. A lot of people complained, but not much changed. They claim storage and bandwidth costs, but at the same time, they still refuse to sell FLACs