Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apetag Software? (Read 5106 times) previous topic - next topic

Apetag Software?

Hello!

I'm on a search for software that handles reading/writing APEtags. I really haven't been able to find much:

- Tag (windows command line program,should handle v1 and v2 tags)
- Winamp plugin (allows you to change the APEtag on an .ape file, think it only handles v1 tags though)
- Abander Tag control (excellent Windows tagger, APE support only v1?)

Anyway, are there some obvious choices I'm missing?  what are people using ?

Ideally I'd love to find a linux command line util that could read APE tags at least.. (to help me db things)

Thanks..

Apetag Software?

Reply #1
Maybe TAG can be compiles for linux?

Apetag Software?

Reply #2
That would be ideal, but I'm afraid it's can't be compiled for Linux out of the box.  Looks like it was developed using Microsoft Developer Studio in C++.  I've poked around the code a bit, but know it would take me forever to pull something like that off. 

-James

Apetag Software?

Reply #3
As far as I know Tag works perfectly fine, only it won't write v2 APE Tag's because they aren't supported by Monkey's Audio yet (I believe they will be in the near future), strangely enough they are only supported by MPC at the moment.

Apetag Software?

Reply #4
Hello!

I'm on a search for software that handles reading/writing APEtags. I really haven't been able to find much:

- Tag (windows command line program,should handle v1 and v2 tags)
- Winamp plugin (allows you to change the APEtag on an .ape file, think it only handles v1 tags though)
- Abander Tag control (excellent Windows tagger, APE support only v1?)

Anyway, are there some obvious choices I'm missing?  what are people using ?

Ideally I'd love to find a linux command line util that could read APE tags at least.. (to help me db things)

Thanks..

If you got python installed on your linux box, I have created a python module that reads APE-Tags (and ID3v1.1 tags).  No writing yet for APE tags, I didn't need any so far.  So, if you describe me the tool you need, I can send you something you can use from the command-line.

Apetag Software?

Reply #5
I know that Tag control support apev2 and i believe it supports apev1 as well. Funny enough i found it hard to believe that monkey's program didn't support v2 yet.

Apetag Software?

Reply #6
...i found it hard to believe that monkey's program didn't support v2 yet.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's a misconception here concerning the APEv2 tagging. AFAIK, APEv2 was not developed by the author of Monkey's Audio, it was mainly developed by Frank Klemm and thus not primarily designed for Monkey's Audio. So it's no wonder Monkey's Audio hasn't adopted it yet.

Apetag Software?

Reply #7
getID3() supports APE tags - both reading and writing from version 1.6.2.

It is a collection of php libraries, so you need to script it.

getid3.org

Apetag Software?

Reply #8
...i found it hard to believe that monkey's program didn't support v2 yet.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's a misconception here concerning the APEv2 tagging. AFAIK, APEv2 was not developed by the author of Monkey's Audio, it was mainly developed by Frank Klemm and thus not primarily designed for Monkey's Audio. So it's no wonder Monkey's Audio hasn't adopted it yet.

I asked Matt about this a while back. You are correct, Frank Klemm did develop APEv2 tags. I'm pretty sure Monkey's Audio does support av2 tags now. At least when I use MC it writes this type of tag instead of av1. Matt changed this for MC. Not sure what he did at his site for the stand alone.

EDIT: spelling

Apetag Software?

Reply #9
I just hacked together a script that reads and writes apetags thru a patched getID3() 1.6.2.

Avalible here: http://www.phazer.dk/ape2.tgz

PHP4.1+ is required on your box. Fix first line of ape2 executeable if php is not located in /usr/bin/php

Apetag Software?

Reply #10
getID3() 1.6.3 was released today. Update the the two getid3 files if you need uft-8 characters.

Apetag Software?

Reply #11
getID3() 1.6.3 was released today. Update the the two getid3 files if you need uft-8 characters.

He wants to use APE2 tags, so I believe that the "if" in "if you need utf-8 ..." can be changed to "since"