Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Saving A Bad Cd-r (Read 5100 times) previous topic - next topic

Saving A Bad Cd-r

I've just started backing up my collection of rare tracks onto cd as standard cd audio...  as you'd know from my previous topic I was wondering about the problems of doing this...

It seems I've run into it (with a cd I made a while ago)...  My guess is the cd was left on my window ledge, which gets pretty hot during the day, and now it's messed up

It's find up to track 16, but past that, there is what sounds like a bunch of 10 clicks every couple of seconds..  I guess this'll teach me not to be lazy and put it back in the cd rack properly (which doesn't get hot)

I've tried extracting the audio of tracks 16-22, but it just won't happen in CDex.  The drive makes a bit of noise, but the progress bar doesn't actually get anywhere.

Any suggestions on how to make ripping easier?  Will EAC stand a better chance?  (i haven't had time to check yet)...  or would I be better off re-recording the tracks again..  (it's the music off of C&C Tiberian Sun, which I just recorded ingame)

Daaaaaymn!

[edit]
nearly forgot... my other question is would the same of happened if it was losslessly compressed files on the disc?  I would guess the heat would have the same effect on them, but would they be easier to read perfectly due to the better error correction?
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Saving A Bad Cd-r

Reply #1
From the noise it makes, I'd say that there is no more way to read it at all. A CD ROM would be unreadable also.
Try in some other drives, in burst mode, and see if the clicks are gone. If not you can either play it in a hifi player and record it in your soundcard, provided that the player doesn't click, or re-record it.

Saving A Bad Cd-r

Reply #2
somewhat of a shot in the dark

Isobuster - I have had limited success of getting stuff off of a ez cd creator disk - ez was having a bad day (it was its last one as well).  I recorded some disks in direct cd (compressed music) then closed the disk.  After months went back to get the data off and cd drive just made alot of noise but eventually said the drive was not ready.  Isobuster got almost all data off.  Better to have some then none.

I know this isn't the same situation - but it could work - not promising anything.

Ps I had the free version 0.99 have not upgraded to 1.0

Saving A Bad Cd-r

Reply #3
I now have a smokin cd to test EAC vs CDex with

My discman with it's usually awesome scratch correction has a tough time to read it, and my cd-drive won't even attempt to play it!

Saving A Bad Cd-r

Reply #4
It seems I've run into it (with a cd I made a while ago)...   My guess is the cd was left on my window ledge, which gets pretty hot during the day, and now it's messed up

Have you tried the Hi-Space Carbon CDs? They, at least theoretically, are made to piss off the sun UV. Probably does that also with the heat, but don't know so . I have not tortured one of my HiSpaces, as I use them for "masters".

Probably the cause of your CD "death" is that the heat caused massive BLER and put it out of the specs, making the disc unreadable.

Saving A Bad Cd-r

Reply #5
I'd try cleaning the disk REALLY well, then using EAC to rip in secure mode.  I've never found a disk it wouldn't read whatsoever.  Just the other day I ripped Beastie Boys License to Ill from a friend; this disk was one of the worst I'd ever seen.  Tons of gray spots that look like 'dirt' or dust but wouldn't wash off, along with long scratches.  EAC ripped it, but it took forever.  I went over the suspicious positions it outputted, but I couldn't really hear a problem..  I was pretty impressed

Oh, and if you have a cd-rom and a cd-burner, try using the burner to read the disk..  Mine is somehow better for reading scratched stuff than my cd-rom.

Saving A Bad Cd-r

Reply #6
Don't let your CD making noises in your burner all night ! It could kill it. There has been two or three reports of drives killed by EAC+unreadable CDs+All night long.

Saving A Bad Cd-r

Reply #7
Yeah, I rip in my burner, partly because my cd drive started making odd noises all the time, so I thought best leave it alone!

I've tried ripping it in EAC Secure...  it would take a day or so, it spins up, then the error correction boxes go up to full... then they go up to full again, and again, and again  It doesn't look like any progress is made, especially cos I can't find any file left over when I cancel

Thx for the help anyway!  I'll try washing it then ripping...  but I'm resigned to the fact I'm gonna have to record it again and smack myself for being stupid!

Saving A Bad Cd-r

Reply #8
Many people have recommended Cdex in paranoia mode for badly scratched CDs. Seems to work better than EAC. And it is not recommended to let EAC rip a very long time, because it could damage your CD-Rom.

Saving A Bad Cd-r

Reply #9
What about the pre-programmed hourly breaks? They don't help?

Not really my concern though as I usually run out of patience and rip the CD / track in burst mode and leave the CD out of my collection if the quality isn't acceptable.

Is it alright to EAC whipping on a CD that has just one or two tracks (~10-20 min. play time) that are completely shot like that?

Saving A Bad Cd-r

Reply #10
Is it alright to EAC whipping on a CD that has just one or two tracks (~10-20 min. play time) that are completely shot like that?

No one can tell for sure. But I usually do it.
Now, don't blame me if doing it kills your drive !