Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 Listening Test at 128 kbps (Read 207322 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 Listening Test at 128 kbps

Reply #177
Nice to see this test back on the menu. 

I too have been very busy in my "real" life and have not had time for my audio hobbies (like HA).

To be honest, I would personally use Real instead of dropping the encoder just because we cannot agree on parameters. Real uses Helix and doesn't offer any special settings that might mess things up more than they help

I just installed the new Real Player 11 on my laptop and encoded my usual test file set @ 128 kbps VBR. The resulting average bitrate was 129.7 kbps. The encoding speed was on the slow side. The speed was about 14-15x on my laptop, but this value is not directly comparable with the 17.8x speed value I got previously for RP 10.5. I didn't try to test the audio quality, but I guess that the encoder has changed very little if not at all.

Unfortunately the Real Player encoder it is not practically any faster than LAME. Helix is much faster and would be more interesting to me. I guess LAME is still going to provide superior quality and the only reason to use some other encoder would be the speed advantage. It would be useful to know how big the quality sacrifice would be if Helix or some other fast encoder was used instead of LAME.

EDIT

Here is a link to my previous bitrate test results, which I posted in last September:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=515303

Reply #179
Are you already locked in on the encoders? I'm a big fan of WMAstd 2-pass vbr ~128kb.

Reply #180
Are you already locked in on the encoders? I'm a big fan of WMAstd 2-pass vbr ~128kb.

It is a MP3 Listening Test. 

Reply #182
Since LAME 3.98 has been released I am giving this thread a little bump.

Isn't Real using Helix? Maybe Real uses some switches that should optimize the quality but have impact on the speed.

I suppose it is based on the same source, though I have no way to know exactly.

In general, I would put emphasis on the "should" word you used. As my pretest with Frauenhofer and Gogo showed the faster options may not be any worse on average. Sometimes they surprisingly produce better quality than the slower "quality" options.

I guess that not much (if anything) has changed in RealPlayer 11's MP3 encoder. I have not compared the two versions by ABX testing, but the encoding speed behavior is very similar with the v.10.5.

I can repeat my pretest using Helix & Real if necessary, but I would first like to be sure that this test will take place. I would rather not do redundant ABX testing that goes beyond of what is useful for me personally.

It would be helpful if the Real developers could shed some light on this.

Edit: typo

Reply #184
I would definitely conduct the test if we finally decided which encoders to use. By the way, I once contacted one of the Helix developers and he wasn't able to recommend any setting.

Reply #185
I would definitely conduct the test if we finally decided which encoders to use. By the way, I once contacted one of the Helix developers and he wasn't able to recommend any setting.

I don't think the Helix setting would be a problem. We can just use the default VBR encoding mode as suggested earlier.

I think that for the majority of HA crowd only Helix would be a usable option in case it will appear to produce acceptable quality. There is no way to use the Real Player encoder outside the Real Player with other programs and frontends. Also, since it is on the slow side there is no reason to consider using it because of the encoding speed.

Reply #186
Just sent a mail to Karl asking if he knows what params to choose or at least if he can tell me who is responsible. If I don't get feedback until let's say next week Tuesday, I will either stick to whatever makes sense and was recommended on HA or simply use the least switches that produce 135 kbps (so probably the settings used by Alex B).

Reply #188
I would recommend using the Helix CLI encoder and not RealPlayer, with the options suggested in this thread. I noticed the encoding speed when used in RealPlayer was dramatically slower than CLI, and that makes me suspicious as to what how (and perhaps even which) encoder the player is actually using. I did ask our audio codec team members about recommended Helix switches, but the original developer is no longer at Real.
Sr. Codec Engineer (video) | RealNetworks Codec Group | helixcommunity.org 
This information is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,  grants no rights, and reflects my personal opinion.

Reply #189
OK, so let's assume the Helix problem is solved (it is actually: if I get feedback from the guys from the audio department I will use their suggestions, otherwise the settings mentioned in this thread)... This leaves us with the last problem: Gogo. The question is whether or not to use an additional -q parameter.

Reply #190
I think it would be good to repost my old test results here because they are now hidden somewhere in the middle of this thread.

The bitrate and speed tests:
Here are my results. For iTunes and RealPlayer I used the standard GUI programs. For the command line encoders I used Speeks' Batchenc frontend. The WMP11 mp3 codec was accessed by Nyaochi's Acmenc and Speek's Batchenc. The test bench was a 2.8 GHz P4. Before the speed tests I tried to disable all unnecessary background processes. The source files were in wave format on one HD and the target HD was separate. I measured the encoding times with a digital stopwatch. I didn't run several passes that would have been needed for lowering the error margin, but I think the results are accurate enough for this purpose. For measuring the bitrates I used Encspot Pro's "Complete Scan" feature (some other programs may not show correct bitrates with files that don't contain a Xing header).

The test file set consists of 25 selected complete tracks of various genres. The total duration is one hour, 31 minutes and 34 seconds.

The encoding speeds and average bitrates:

The individual bitrates of the VBR files:

A chart of the VBR bitrates:

Some readers may also find the following table interesting (Album = the 25-track test set):

I uploaded the test data here (Excel file & Encspot Pro reports):
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=515301

My listening test:
As I promised, I tried to do a "quick pretest" with a few samples using foobar's ABX module, but that didn't work. The codecs' quality didn't have immediately obvious differences and the results would have been almost arbitary depending on the used samples. So I felt kind of obligated to do a full-scale personal test.

I used the following codec settings:
FhGc = FIIS 3.4 CBR 128 kbps
FhGv = FIIS 4.1 VBR -br 0 -m 4 -vbri -ofl
FhGv1 = FIIS 4.1 VBR -br 0 -m 4 -q 1 -vbri -ofl
GoG = GoGo 3.13 ABR -a -b 137
GoG2 = GoGo 3.13 ABR -a -b 137 -q 2

Edit: I forgot to mention that I used FhG Mp3sdecoder v. 1.3 for decoding the samples. (Looks like the -ofl option worked. ABC-HR Java didn't adjust the starting position of the FhG VBR samples)

After seeing the results of my previous speed and bitrate test I upped the GoGo ABR bitrate setting from 135 to 137 so that it would better match the codec average. FhG VBR produced still a bit higher average bitrate with the now tested new samples (134 kbps vs. 131 kbps).

I tested 30 varied samples. All samples are created by myself and most of them are brand new. About half of them are from Vangelis' Alexander soundtrack album, which has a lot of interesting music (it's a mixture of classical, electronic and ethnic genres) and I wanted to try if that material would be useful for testing codecs.

The reference samples and my ABC-HR result files are available in this link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/55027379/alexb_test.zip  (about 76 MB)

Here are the test results:
Code: [Select]
% Result file produced by chunky-0.8.4-beta
% Chunky -d C:\alexb_test\results -r sample -f C:\alexb_test\codecs.txt
%
% Sample Averages:

S.#    FhGc    FhGv    FhGv1    GoG    GoG2
#01    2.90    3.50    3.50    4.00    3.50
#02    3.90    3.30    3.30    2.40    3.30
#03    4.00    3.60    3.90    3.60    4.00
#04    4.00    4.00    4.00    4.00    4.00
#05    3.00    4.10    3.20    3.70    3.40
#06    4.00    3.60    3.30    4.50    2.90
#07    4.00    3.50    4.10    3.30    4.50
#08    4.00    3.80    4.40    4.40    4.20
#09    4.10    3.80    3.20    4.20    3.50
#10    4.30    4.30    3.70    4.50    3.40
#11    3.00    2.50    2.40    3.00    3.00
#12    3.70    4.10    4.00    4.20    3.50
#13    3.20    3.20    3.90    3.70    2.80
#14    3.40    2.80    2.20    3.50    2.50
#15    4.00    4.30    3.90    3.90    4.20
#16    3.20    3.70    3.90    3.70    3.00
#17    3.90    3.10    3.00    4.00    4.00
#18    3.80    4.10    3.90    4.10    3.80
#19    3.80    2.90    3.10    3.90    3.90
#20    3.10    3.10    3.70    3.90    1.90
#21    2.30    2.70    3.00    2.20    2.40
#22    3.90    3.90    3.90    3.90    4.30
#23    3.90    4.00    4.00    4.00    3.80
#24    4.20    4.20    4.20    3.90    4.20
#25    4.20    4.00    4.10    4.00    3.60
#26    3.90    3.70    4.00    3.70    3.70
#27    3.80    4.10    4.00    3.80    3.80
#28    3.50    3.60    3.60    4.00    3.20
#29    2.60    2.80    3.00    1.60    1.50
#30    3.70    3.70    3.50    3.70    3.30

%%%    Codec averages:
%%%    3.64    3.60    3.60    3.71    3.44

Even though I did the test properly, I wouldn't trust the results too much.

Mostly I was able to differentiate the contenders without ABXing because of the lowpass. All encoders seem to use an about 15-16 kHz lowpass frequency at this bitrate/quality level. Beyond that the test was a tough call. The codecs were generally quite good and the slight lowpass didn't make the samples annoying (to me, it seems to be detectable only in a direct comparison with the reference).

I didn't want to spend several days with this test so I rated the samples rather quickly and it is possible that a new test with the same samples would produce slightly different results.

GoGo failed misarably on one killer sample, the sample number 29 (also FhG was bad with this sample, but better than GoGo). On the other hand FhG's VBR has obvious problems with some other samples.

I can make the following conclusions:
All encoders are tied and the higher quality options didn't make the encoders better.

Edit: Fixed a couple of typos and added the MP3 decoder info.

The test files are still available in the Rapidshare link. In addition, I created a couple of new pictures of the listening test results:

Reply #191
OK, so let's assume the Helix problem is solved (it is actually: if I get feedback from the guys from the audio department I will use their suggestions, otherwise the settings mentioned in this thread)... This leaves us with the last problem: Gogo. The question is whether or not to use an additional -q parameter.

My conclusion after rechecking my results would be to use the faster default options with GoGo and FhG VBR.

Reply #192
Thinking about it right now, I am wondering if we should even include Gogo in the test... The problem is:

- CBR would tie Gogo's hands and is unfair
- VBR is not mature in Gogo's LAME "engine"
- ABR gives different results when encoding samples and when encoding the corresponding full track - we had this problem when it came to WMA's 2-pass VBR encoding

Seeing that FhG CBR 128 kbps without any quality switch is almost 80x, I would tend to use that instead of Gogo.

BTW, is Gogo 3.13 based on LAME 3.88 or LAME 3.9x? The website states the latter, but when you run the build from RW, it says that it's based on 3.88.

Reply #193
Thinking about it right now, I am wondering if we should even include Gogo in the test... The problem is:

- CBR would tie Gogo's hands and is unfair
- VBR is not mature in Gogo's LAME "engine"
- ABR gives different results when encoding samples and when encoding the corresponding full track - we had this problem when it came to WMA's 2-pass VBR encoding

ABR shouldn't be a problem. It is nothing like 2-pass encoding. AFAIK, the ABR "frame" is very short. Perhaps the LAME developer's could tell how exactly it works.

Seeing that FhG CBR 128 kbps without any quality switch is almost 80x, I would tend to use that instead of Gogo.

That's an interesting idea. Unfortunately I didn't include FhG 4.1 CBR in my pretest. It wasn't considered as a potential contender back then. As you can see FhG 3.4 CBR wasn't bad at all in my test. It provided the most constant quality.

BTW, is Gogo 3.13 based on LAME 3.88 or LAME 3.9x? The website states the latter, but when you run the build from RW, it says that it's based on 3.88.

My understanding is that it is based on 3.88. It was originally developed before LAME 3.90 was released and I guess the original codebase was not changed when newer versions were introduced.

Reply #194
My understanding of ABR is that the the encoder also "memorizes" what bitrate it used on previous frames and allocates bits for future frames taking this "memory" into consideration - sort of like the bit reservoir works, just that it allows larger fluctuations. The problem I see is that an encoded sample might have another bit allocation than if you were to encode the whole track and then cut out the part you want to test.

Reply #195
My understanding of ABR is that the the encoder also "memorizes" what bitrate it used on previous frames and allocates bits for future frames taking this "memory" into consideration - sort of like the bit reservoir works, just that it allows larger fluctuations. The problem I see is that an encoded sample might have another bit allocation than if you were to encode the whole track and then cut out the part you want to test.

I checked a few 44.1 kHz MP3 files and it appears that there's about 40 MP3 frames in one second of audio. I think this theoretical problem can practically affect only a few frames.

Also, I don't think CBR encoding is any different when bit reservoir is used. I searched and found this old discussion:

... ABR is one pass? How can it approximate a desired bitrate then? IMHO it needs to do a quick look on the file at least once.

... ABR is one pass. Well, here is how I think it works, anyone please confirm or correct me. In CBR there is something called bit reservoir. When a frame is to be encoded to say 128 kbps, the encoder may not match this exactly. In some frames there will be empty space, and in some the data just won't fit. So what the encoder can do when there is to much data, is to move this to a frame where there is empty space. How this works in detail I have no clue, but it is referred to as the bit reservoir.

The problem is that there is not always enough space in the bit reservoir when doing CBR. My guess is that in ABR this is skipped and the frame size is instead adapted to what the encoder wants.

Anyone wanna comfirm this, or correct me?

Gabriel didn't correct him:
ABR is the same thing as CBR with an unlimited bit reservoir (emulated by changing frame sizes)

Reply #196
After seeing the recent LAME 3.98 related posts I think we should test LAME 3.97 and LAME 3.98.

Perhaps:
LAME 3.97 VBR
LAME 3.98 VBR
FhG VBR
Helix VBR
iTunes VBR

The correct setting for LAME 3.98 may be something like -v 5.7. It produces 133.3 kbps on average with my test file set.

Reply #197

couldn't you encode the entire song, then cut out the sample portion?

I am particularly interested in ABR since that is what I use. My ipod seems to choke on VBR

Reply #198
couldn't you encode the entire song, then cut out the sample portion?

I am particularly interested in ABR since that is what I use. My ipod seems to choke on VBR

LAME ABR has not even been considered. Only GoGo ABR.

I would advice anyone who is interested in a specific encoder and setting combination that will not be included in the public test to first practice by participating the public test and after that do a new personal test using the same reference samples and the preferred encoder & setting. Most likely the results of that kind of personal test would also be valuable for others.

EDIT

I don't think cutting MP3 files would be accurate enough. It can be done only on the MP3 frame boundaries and there is no simple way to detect the correct passage. In addition, there's the above mentioned bit reservoir system causing more difficulties. Practically the files would need to be decoded and the tedious cutting work would need to be done with a wave editor. After that the samples would need to be included in a lossless or uncompressed format in the test package.

This would need to be done if a 2-pass encoder would be included in a listening test. As I said, LAME (or GoGo) ABR should not be a problem.

Reply #199
After seeing the recent LAME 3.98 related posts I think we should test LAME 3.97 and LAME 3.98.

I second that.  This is a good time to compare LAME 3.98 and see how much it has improved upon LAME 3.97.