Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PC audio - O2/ODAC - better headphone switch (Read 2731 times) previous topic - next topic

PC audio - O2/ODAC - better headphone switch

You guys are great here. Way more knowledgeable than I am, and you've probably tried out many combinations at all price points.

Jump into the question first, with some background following.

Q: Any comments or suggestions for a better (sound/specs and looks) unit than my current $15 Manhattan switch? The O2+ODAC Combo for my PC, in addition to sounding great and looking great, is using the awful-looking Manhattan switch that kills me every time I look at it.

I became convinced to ditch my aging Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion system in my PC when I couldn't get it to work in a Win 8 test drive. After a fair amount of research, and is probably overkill for my purposes, I purchased the O2+ODAC Combo to use with my Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones and Audioengine A2 powered speakers.

I knew going in to that purchase that there wasn't a built-in switch to toggle between speakers and headphones, but I bought the JDS Labs version and have been pleased with it.

To enable switching between speakers and headphones without having to constantly plug and unplug either, I'm using a well-regarded el-cheapo Manhattan 172851 Audio Speaker / Headset Switching Hub. It works decently enough to quickly switch between outputs, but I can't help thinking that this might well be a weak link in my setup that I use on my PC to listen to music or watching movies.

Frankly, I don't know anything about equipment in the recording industry, which is why I have a USB mic. Would some solution for running a podcast that gets me off a USB mic also fulfill my need in replacing the Manhattan switch? Every time I see something mentioned that sounds interesting, I go look it up to check the inputs and outputs,. Like, the Behringer UFO202 Audio Interface (actually not much better looking than the Manhattan!) or Behringer XENYX 1202 12-Input Mixer or a Scarlet 2i2 and next thing I know, I'm more confused than ever, lol.

Thanks for your consideration and time!

~Zombeezy

Hmm, looks like I didn't put it in the right section - didn't notice the "CD-R and Audio Hardware" before the "Audio Hardware" section I posted in