Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Taming vinyl audio (Read 17235 times) previous topic - next topic

Taming vinyl audio

Reply #25
That looks close to RIAA to me.

Since the Wikipedia picture has only a very sparsely labeled horizontal axis, here's a more detailed one showing the 6 dB/octave change between 10k and 20k in the RIAA de-emphasis curve, for reference:

If images from cited Stereophile articles aren't allowed [sorry, I don't really know, but I seem to recall others posting them in this forum] here's the link:
http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/409KH_Fig3.jpg

Taming vinyl audio

Reply #26

But what is your source? Did you run those yourself? Please give details.

I ran those myself.

(I normally use logarithmic scaling but in this case selected the linear scaling so it's easier to compare against the OP's screenshot.)

Taming vinyl audio

Reply #27
Wouldn't the capacitance of the turntable's cabling vs. the impedance of whatever they're being plugged into be an issue, as well? There's a cottage industry around matching the two, since mismatches, I've read, result in frequency response variations. Or is this audiophile hooey?

That depends on the cartrdige. The polar extremes are probably the Shure V15 and siblings which can be tuned pretty effectively with load capacitance in the 35-350 pF range, and Grados that are pretty much insensitive to load capacitance changes for being MM cartrdiges. It is all about resonating the pick up coil shoe inductance  may be the better part of a Henry.