Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Newbie Turntable Audio Setup, Receiver inputs, and Preamp. (Read 9587 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie Turntable Audio Setup, Receiver inputs, and Preamp.

I recently purchased the Audio-Technica AT-LP120 USB Turntable and the TCC TC-750LC Professional Magnet Moving Preamp. I am looking into receivers, but unsure of which one to go with to complete the setup and have a few questions. I understand that most receivers lack Phono inputs these days, so this is a little confusing on how to connect. Also, this turntable has a built-in pre-amplifier with line level RCA cables. I may mod this feature in the distant future depending on sound quality.

1. Does the preamp need to be connected to a Phono input on a receiver?

2. If no, how do I connect the preamp to the receiver?

3. What type of cables are necessary to connect the preamp to the receiver?

4. Any suggestions of types of receivers to purchase for this turnable/preamp?

I could really use the help since the built in preamp in the turntable is causing some audio setup problems. Any other advice is welcomed to get the full audio experience from my turntable.

Anthony

Reply #1
The output of the preamp is line level like a tape deck, CD player or tuner. Plug it into any line level input and it will be fine. Do NOT plug the preamp output into a 'phono' input as the gain and EQ will be major wrong. It shouldn't cause a failure at low levels but will sound BAD.

Reply #2
I may mod this feature in the distant future depending on sound quality.
Unless there's an obvious defect, I'd rank the preamp NEARLY LAST in terms of importance to sound quality. 

If you feel you are getting excessive noise (hum & hiss) from the preamp, you might want to try upgrading.    But, casual evaluation can be tricky because some (most?) of the hum comes from the cartridge and ALL of the noise depends on preamp gain (which varies somewhat from preamp-to-preamp).  If the gain is higher, you'll hear more noise, but the signal will also be higher which means you'll turn-down the volume control reducing the noise.  It's the signal-to-noise ratio that's important. 

The distortion and frequency response (RIAA equalization) is usually better than human hearing and far-far better than the cartridge and the record together.

1. The record.  The record itself is also your biggest source of noise by far.  I don't know if the frequency response varies that much on modern records (I don't buy them) but it varies a TON on older records.    The record is the all-round weakest link (unless your equipment is "cheap junk"). 

2. The phono cartridge.  You'll probably notice frequency response variations between cartridges.  Above a certain price point it gets hard to say which cartridge is better, but there usually are differences and it becomes a matter of personal taste.    Cartridge frequency response doesn't vary as much as speaker frequency resonse....  Changing speakers will always make a bigger difference than changing cartriges.  And, you can always tweak the frequency response with tone contols or EQ. 

Some cartridges track loud passages better (without audible distortion) than others. 

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than the cost of Shure's best cartridge (less than $100 USD).  My attitude is, it's only analog vinyl and there's no point in pursuing perfection.  (If we didn't have CDs and other digital sources, I'd probably have a different attitude and I'd still be chasing after best possible analog sound that I could afford.)

3. The turntable. Like the preamp, there's not too much to worry about.  As long as the thing doesn't have speed problems, audible rumble,  or pick-up vibrations or anything like that, it should be fine.  The tonearm may affect tracking ability, but I never felt the need to upgrade a tonearm.

4. The preamp.

That's just my generalized opinion for mid-priced equipment.    I don't feel too strongly about #3 & #4....    Maybe the order should be reversed, but if I was buying new equipment, I'd pay more attention to the turntable than the preamp, so I rank the turntable a little higher.  And, I don't even listen to vinyl...      I just digitize it once in awhile.

Reply #3
3. What type of cables are necessary to connect the preamp to the receiver?
> Use a standard RCA stereo interconnect:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Wholesale-Male...S0A496G8NS5RH50

4. Any suggestions of types of receivers to purchase for this turnable/preamp?
> Not really, but if you get one with a "Phono" input that will give you a third connection option.