Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vinyl > Digital on HowStuffWorks (Read 22742 times) previous topic - next topic

Vinyl > Digital on HowStuffWorks

Reply #25
A lot of (all?) pseudosciences are very similar in their methods of spreading misinformation. Many of them are very friendly with each other, there's even a term that a science blogger coined that one as a skeptic might have heard, "crank magnetism".

Reply #26
This means that, by definition, a digital recording is not capturing the complete sound wave. It is approximating it with a series of steps.

What they mean by "steps" is the way samples are displayed usually in diagrams. Since a sample is just a dot, a place in time, it'd just be a series of dots DEFINING a signal. What they mean is the Sample-and-hold display of sample values.

The article is blatantly wrong, and causes severe fremdschämen in me. In case you don't know any German, that's a pretty bad thing.

A vinyl record has a groove carved into it that mirrors the original sound's waveform. This means that no information is lost.

Yeah, only every time you play it, you lose a little bit...

The output of a record player is analog. It can be fed directly to your amplifier with no conversion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

This means that the waveforms from a vinyl recording can be much more accurate, and that can be heard in the richness of the sound.

"Richness"? Just what kind of Audio-Foolery dictionary did that person use‽ For this word alone, I'd laugh in his face while taring and feathering him...

In the later part of the article, they talk about bit rates. The bit rate defines the noise floor, nothing else. A Higher bit rate will lower the noise floor, which some of use would remember as "tape hiss".
A high quality Reel-to-Reel recording had a tape hiss comparable to a 12bit resolution noise floor. Recording a high quality C60 (Metal) was usually no higher than an 10bit/sample resolution. Let's face it, the noise floor on Vinyl isn't that low either...

And yes, I am a Vinyl collector. I love buying them, looking at them, discussing them with friends. I love giving them as presents and of course receiving them, too. I love handling them, restoring them if they're dirty or mold grows in the groove. But I also like listening to them.

I usually compare Vinyl to Matcha, the tea used in Japanese tea ceremonies. It doesn't look too good, or taste too good. It's also not very easy to prepare, and on top of that, it's quite expensive. But I still like to prepare and drink it with my girlfriend from time to time...

Reply #27
Any time you come across crap like this, just link this Xiph video. Anyone who watches it and still spouts off this crap is willfully being ignorant, and there is no helping someone who revels in their ignorance. Monty does an awesome job of telling it how it is.

http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

Reply #28
Any time you come across crap like this, just link this Xiph video. Anyone who watches it and still spouts off this crap is willfully being ignorant, and there is no helping someone who revels in their ignorance. Monty does an awesome job of telling it how it is.

http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

Excellent and fascinating !