Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: migration v0.9.6.8 to v1.1.10 (Read 3500 times) previous topic - next topic

migration v0.9.6.8 to v1.1.10

I have v0.9.6.8 on win xp on computer 1. I want to migrate the exact configuration from computer 1 to computer 2 which is running v1.1.10 on win7.  How do I go about it? I see the folder structure is different.

I use colums UI and quick tagger.
I use Columns UI

Reply #3
Help with this one would be hugely appreciated, I have huge play lists and many custom columns. They would be impossible to reproduce from scratch. I am getting the playlists but most of my columns are missing. I also tried installing 0.9.6.8 which seems to just create a folder in program files and nothing in user folder. Even when I copied my backed up Windows xp foobar2000 folder over it didn't work.
I use Columns UI

Reply #4
I also tried installing 0.9.6.8 which seems to just create a folder in program files and nothing in user folder.

It should create foobar2000 folder in c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ folder (it was c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data folder in WinXP/Win2000)

IIRC all settings are stored in foobar2000\foobar2000.cfg file.

Reply #5
I also tried installing 0.9.6.8 which seems to just create a folder in program files and nothing in user folder.

It should create foobar2000 folder in c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ folder (it was c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data folder in WinXP/Win2000)

IIRC all settings are stored in foobar2000\foobar2000.cfg file.

Thanks for your answer, you're right it does create c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ on the Windows 7 machine. What I meant to say was the folder was empthy, but that was because I checked before foobar was closed after initial installation, files were created after it was closed.

I am looking at the other machine now (Windows xp with foobar 0.9.6.8) and there is no foobar2000 folder in c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data. There is only c:\program files\foobar2000. My question is, how do I recreate the exact same setup on the Windows 7 machine where there are two different folders, I mean what files go where?
I use Columns UI

Reply #6
Ok I can't seem to get this to work when installing foobar on the win 7 machine. However things seem to work when I run foobar from the Windows xp backup folder I have on my usb drive. Is this a sustainable way of running foobar, I mean if I just copy that backup folder to a hardrive and run it like that without actually installing the foobar program?
I use Columns UI

Reply #7
Do you have the following file in foobar2000's folder?

portable_mode_enabled

You can re-run the setup and choose Portable mode when installing.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #8
Install 0.9.6.8 on Win7 and you'll see what files and folders should be in AppData folder.

Reply #9
Install 0.9.6.8 on Win7 and you'll see what files and folders should be in AppData folder.

Ok I got it to work with 0.9.6.8, which is good enough for me. BTW. What's the correct way of backing up this configuration, shouldd I just make a copy of the program folder and the user folder or is one enough?
I use Columns UI

Reply #12
Now that you mention it
Version 10 highlights: Needs foobar2000 v1.1 or newer

As updates bring functionality and since you seem to have a backup somewhere that works, I would just install current foobar2000 over your old xp install. The install should prompt you to have it rebuild the folder structure and rework the various config files that changed. Once that working it should be much clearer how to move it to a new computer. YMMV and please be sure your backup will bail you out.

Reply #13
Now that you mention it
Version 10 highlights: Needs foobar2000 v1.1 or newer

As updates bring functionality and since you seem to have a backup somewhere that works, I would just install current foobar2000 over your old xp install. The install should prompt you to have it rebuild the folder structure and rework the various config files that changed. Once that working it should be much clearer how to move it to a new computer. YMMV and please be sure your backup will bail you out.

This sounds like a great idea,  I'll try it later today.
I use Columns UI