Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bit-perfect playback questions (Read 47117 times) previous topic - next topic

Bit-perfect playback questions

Reply #25
I believe Jim is implying WASAPI exclusive when talking about WASAPI.

While Media Center supports WASAPI shared (ie. not exclusive), it uses exclusive mode by default.  Shared mode isn't widely used or recommended.

Reply #26
You can get bitperfect output with any plain old media player over DirectSound if you leave your device's sample rate at the same setting as your files (e. g. 44.1 kHz) and set the volume to 100% since Vista.

This thread is hysterical and BS marketing driven.

16 bit INT -> 32 bit FLOAT -> 16 bit INT conversion, et ceteris paribus, is lossless, before you start the "but, but, but ... float pipeline"-whining.

I thought it was the reverse? XP did it, but not Vista/7? Isn't everything dithered since Vista, like Roseval said?

Reply #27
I would like to be able to discuss this without fightin' language.  My post addressed the user's question.  There was no "BS marketing".  I admit I can be guilty of "BS".

I don't know if I'd call it "BS", but if you're getting dramatic differences between DirectSound and ASIO/WASAPI you're probably doing something very, very wrong.

Reply #28
16 int > 32 float > 16 int is a lossless conversion, Don't think anybody will deny
16 int > 32 float > 16 int > dither is not lossless by design.
It will affect the LSB so there is a small effect.

As far as I know, every media player applies dither on 16 bits material the moment any kind of DSP is applied. Looks like each and everybody thinks it is a necessary step to improve sound quality.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #29
16 int > 32 float > 16 int > dither is not lossless by design.

Its :

"16 int > 32 float > dither > 16 int "

The dither is applied to the FP data, not the integer.

Looks like each and everybody thinks it is a necessary step to improve sound quality.

If you're going to convert from high precision to lower precision then you should apply dither.  The only time not to is the trivial case where you have 16 > 32 > 16 with no actual processing at the higher precision.  I have no idea idea what software is smart enough to handle this.  I don't think it really matters unless you're trying to stream a compressed audio format through a digital interface.

Reply #30
"16 int > 32 float > dither > 16 int "

Thanks, is more precise

But is does affect the LSB of the 16 bit result anyway

Reply #31
As far as I know, every media player applies dither on 16 bits material the moment any kind of DSP is applied. Looks like each and everybody thinks it is a necessary step to improve sound quality.
Of course, once you've applied DSP your stream is no longer bit-perfect.

Reply #32
But if you configure your media player not to apply any DSP and the Win mixer applies dither I expect it to alter the sound.
Likewise if you bypass the mixer using ASIO or WASAPI so no dither is applied, it should sound different.

Reply #35
Is there a way to disable dithering in the windows 7 mixer?

Reply #36
Of course, once you've applied DSP your stream is no longer bit-perfect.

Once you put it through a volume control or an equalizer...

The idea of bit-perfect playback is not exactly sane.

Reply #37
Is there a way to disable dithering in the windows 7 mixer?

As far as I know, if you set 24bit output mode on sound control panel, dither will not be applied on WASAPI shared mode.
However, CAudioLimiter APO will prevent  from "bit perfect playback" anyway.