Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 517572 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #550
Do you have the latest version of WMP Tag Plus, 2.1, installed?

As with Bernhard, please make sure that the FLAC files don't get added to the library after all, possibly under Unknown Artist or in a different section like Other media. Also, does Refresh song tags detect the FLAC files and if so, does refreshing their tags help?

If you don't want to uninstall WMP Tag Plus then simply reinstalling it on top of the current installation may also help. To check if reinstalling helped without resetting the full library, either move a new FLAC file into your music folder, or move an existing FLAC file out of your music folder and then move it back in.

Reply #551
Tim, I appreciate you response. Actually, I have 2.6 installed. I had 2.1, saw there was a 2.6, but no go on either version. It seems to work OK with a file that was already in the library, but new files don't get added. And yes, I search everywhere, and by song title file name, file path, etc.I dosee them in Other Media, but I can't add them from there to the main library. If I right-click, there's no 'Find Album Info' choice as on files already in the library.

I have to say, I do not see a "Refresh Tag' option in the WMP Tag Plus interface.

Reply #552
There's no 2.6 version of WMP Tag Plus, so it sounds like you have had Windows Media Player Plus! installed all along, which is a completely different plug-in. I suggest that you download and install WMP Tag Plus 2.1.

When WMP Tag Plus is installed, launch WMP, go to Tools - Options - Plug-ins (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). Select the Background category, then select WMP Tag Plus and click Properties. In WMP Tag Plus settings, go to Tools, click Refresh song tags and follow the instructions. That should move the FLAC files from the Other media section to the Music section.

Reply #553
I am also one of persons who preffer to store rating directly to the file instead of storing to library only. I use this with MP3, but WMP Tag doesn't support it with FLAC.

It is because I use dynamic playlists based on rating on different devices (computers, phones, tablets...) and I want my music to be synchronized.

I have read some relevant discussion in this thread on 6th page already. Is it possible to implement this feature? Is there any other way to save rating directly to FLAC?

Thank you

Reply #554
I did install WMP Plus and that screwed up things completely. With both WMPTag and WMPplus installed WMP12 deactivated WMPTag and crashed when trying to manually activate WMPTag.

I then deinstalled WMPTag and only ran with WMPplus but that did not recognize any FLAC file either. I even deleted my FLAC directories once again from the library and re-added them. No change.

Bernhard: I have just checked the Windows 8.1 upgrade myself again. (I had already upgraded my Windows 8 system to 8.1 but luckily still had an image from before the upgrade.) And indeed, for some reason, the upgrade clears all custom file types registered with WMP. Including those registered by WMP Tag Plus, which explains why your FLAC files disappeared from the library.

Simply reinstalling WMP Tag Plus should cause the file types to be registered again, it doesn't even have to be a clean install. Then after a library reset the FLAC files should definitely be added again.

Would still like to hear more on the crash you were talking about.

I have read some relevant discussion in this thread on 6th page already. Is it possible to implement this feature? Is there any other way to save rating directly to FLAC?

capo56: I intend to add 'rating in file' support in one of the next releases. It definitely won't be in the upcoming 2.2 release though.

Reply #555
I believe I did have WMP Tag Plus installed originally, but definitely got confused with WMP Player Plus and WMP Tag Plus. So, I uninstalled WMP Player Plus (I don't know if that was essential, but I did it on principle), resintalled WMP Tag Plus 2.1. I didn't have to do anything after that. WMP Tag Plus automatically went through my library when I started WMP again, and found the 2 albums that were outstanding, asked me if I wanted to refresh tags, to which I said yes, and Bob's your uncle! It all works brilliantly again. A few album covers missing as a vestige from the Windows 8.1 install, but I think I can handle that. Thanks for your help, Tim, very much. I just made a donation through Paypal I'm so grateful.  I was losing sleep over having to redo my library.

Reply #556
Good to hear that all is well again, and thank you very much for the donation

Reply #557
I intend to add 'rating in file' support in one of the next releases. It definitely won't be in the upcoming 2.2 release though.

Could you also include Playcount and lastplayed in the file tag? Play count should be easy since it is part of the POPM tag that you would be using for rating.
Glass half full!

Reply #558
I don't have any plans to include Playcount and Lastplayed too. Main reason is that WMP itself doesn't even write these two tags to MP3/WMA. The POPM tag is MP3-specific and doesn't exist in any of the formats supported by WMP Tag Plus.

If you want to keep these tags synced then it really should be done through some other way than the files' tags. Perhaps the Metadata Backup tool could be used?

Reply #559
Hi Tim,

Ida reinstalled WMP Tag already before with no effect.

Deleting the WMP library did the trick for me. WMP added all FLAC files again.
Many, many Thanks for your advice.

Best regards
Bernhard

Reply #560
Good to hear, thanks for reporting back. It's actually the combination of reinstalling WMP Tag Plus and resetting the library that does the trick of restoring the pre-8.1 functionality.

Could you still provide more details on the crash that occurred when both WMP Tag Plus and Windows Media Player Plus! were installed? Thanks!

Reply #561
Announcement: WMP Tag Plus 2.2 is now available for download. This update fixes several bugs, such as a possible crash when accessing the plug-in's settings, and adds full Musepack SV8 support. Updating is highly recommended.

See the Version History page for a detailed list of what's new and what has been fixed.

Important note for users upgrading to Windows 8.1 (not related to the 2.2 update): it is highly recommended to reinstall WMP Tag Plus after the 8.1 upgrade (uninstalling first isn't necessary). This is because all non-native file types registered with WMP, including those registered by WMP Tag Plus, get unregistered during the upgrade. This will cause songs of such file types not to get picked up by WMP anymore. Reinstalling WMP Tag Plus fixes this because that re-registers the non-native file types.

Another possible side-effect of the 8.1 upgrade is that all non-native file type songs are removed from the library. If this is the case, after reinstalling WMP Tag Plus, move a single song (this can be any song) out of your music folder, and move it back in. After that, WMP should add all non-native file type songs to its library again.

Reply #562
Hello Tim, I did as you suggested above, but I still have about 1400 flac tracks bundled in Unknown Artist...What am I doing wrong. Thx.

Reply #563
Because you included more details in the email you sent me, I replied to that. I'm still waiting for you to reply back though.

Reply #564
[quote name='Tim De Baets' date='Dec 31 2013, 11:05' post='854140']
Because you included more details in the email you sent me, I replied to that. I'm still waiting for you to reply back though.
Thanks Tim, I just saw your email. I will reply here so others can share their thoughts. First, I apologize for my harsh statements on your plugin. It does work. My problem is with the tags on the 1400 tracks. Improper tagging is the root of all my evils with WMP12. I'm fixing this as I type and I'm down to 800 tracks. There is one thing though with the plugin: WMP12 uninstalls the plugin automatically after running it after the first install. Once I run it, it disappears from the player, and I have to run the install every time I start the player...I don't know if this is a problem with the player or my PC. The funny thing is, that as I'm updating the tags on my flac tracks, the player recognizes them immediately, but the plugin does not show up. It's as if the plugin is running in the background...

Reply #565
If WMP Tag Plus doesn't show up anymore then you're probably running the 64-bit version of WMP, which WMP Tag Plus doesn't support. Running the 32-bit version should help; it's at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe.

There's no such thing as WMP Tag Plus running in the background: it's either there or it isn't. If you have been making the tag changes in WMP's library then it's likely that your changes were kept only in the library and not saved to the music files themselves. Meaning you could easily lose all your changes again, so I advise that you double-check the tags with an external tag editor.

Reply #566
If WMP Tag Plus doesn't show up anymore then you're probably running the 64-bit version of WMP, which WMP Tag Plus doesn't support. Running the 32-bit version should help; it's at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe.

There's no such thing as WMP Tag Plus running in the background: it's either there or it isn't. If you have been making the tag changes in WMP's library then it's likely that your changes were kept only in the library and not saved to the music files themselves. Meaning you could easily lose all your changes again, so I advise that you double-check the tags with an external tag editor.

Thx, Tim, yes I'm running the x64 bit version. I'm updating the tags with an external tag editor, and they are being saved in the files themselves, and WMP12  still updates the files in the library...

Reply #567

Thx, Tim, yes I'm running the x64 bit version. I'm updating the tags with an external tag editor, and they are being saved in the files themselves, and WMP12  still updates the files in the library...

Edit: No, I'm wrong, the flac files do not update when the plugin disappears from the player. It disappears after I close the player. Then I need to re-install the plugin to keep working...Is this an issue because the plugin is not yet designed for WMP12 x64...? If not, can I install the 32 bit version of WMP12 and keep the x64 bit version side by side, or do I need to remove the x64 bit version from Windows Features...? I'd like to know this before I install the 32 bit version. Thanks again for your help.

Edit, edit: Never mind anything I mentioned above. (I must be tired). I just ran the 32bit version of WMP12, and the plugin works without any problem at all! Thanks again and goodnight.

Reply #568
Just to clarify: there's no need to install the 32-bit version or remove the 64-bit version, as the 32-bit version will always be present. The 32-bit WMP is in fact still the default, even on Windows x64 (as far as I know).

Reply #569

Hmm... is it possible you could compile as 64-bit?  VS should allow you to do it - and TagLib# doesn't seem to care which architecture it runs under.

Thanks.

Reply #570
No, the plug-in itself is written in Delphi 4, which can't compile to 64-bit.

Reply #571
Hi - I have installed Windows Media Player Plus v2.6  and the Tag Plus  v2.2 from the website. After doing this, I still cannot edit tags for FLAC files but it says this format is supported for tag editing.

I would really like to be able to edit the 'Subgenre' field. I also tried the more standard fields like 'Contributing artist' but it still wouldn't actually take my change. It left the blank field blank.

When I right-click an mp3, the menu shows an option for 'Tag Editor Plus' but it doesn't show this when I right click a FLAC file in my Windows Media Player playlist. I am running WMP 12 on Windows 8 64 bit.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks

Reply #572
Are all of your WMP plugins needed, or does PLUS all the functionality of the others?
Win7 Ultimate (WMP12).

Reply #573
I would really like to be able to edit the 'Subgenre' field. I also tried the more standard fields like 'Contributing artist' but it still wouldn't actually take my change. It left the blank field blank.

Did WMP read the existing FLAC tags, i.e. do you see these tags in the library?

How exactly are you trying to edit those fields? What do you mean when you say that it left the blank field blank?

When I right-click an mp3, the menu shows an option for 'Tag Editor Plus' but it doesn't show this when I right click a FLAC file in my Windows Media Player playlist. I am running WMP 12 on Windows 8 64 bit.

This issue is unrelated to WMP Tag Plus, so please repost in the [a href='index.php?showtopic=80263']Windows Media Player Plus! topic[/a].

Are all of your WMP plugins needed, or does PLUS all the functionality of the others?

WMP Tag Plus and Windows Media Player Plus! are two completely separate plug-ins. If you want library/tagging support for non-native formats and interface/playback enhancements, you'll need to install both plug-ins.

Reply #574

Did WMP read the existing FLAC tags, i.e. do you see these tags in the library?

How exactly are you trying to edit those fields? What do you mean when you say that it left the blank field blank?

This issue is unrelated to WMP Tag Plus, so please repost in the [a href='index.php?showtopic=80263']Windows Media Player Plus! topic[/a].

WMP Tag Plus and Windows Media Player Plus! are two completely separate plug-ins. If you want library/tagging support for non-native formats and interface/playback enhancements, you'll need to install both plug-ins.

Actually, it made my WMP crash when it played an mp3 and then the next track was a FLAC. It seemed it didn't like the differing types. I didn't realize what was causing the crash at the time but when I restarted my laptop and then WMP 12, it gave me a message that one or more plug-ins had caused instability and so it had automatically disabled them to enable it to run ok. And true enough, it doesn't crash any more when going from an mp3 to FLAC, or vice versa.

So, I can't really answer your questions because the plug-ins are now disabled because of these issues. I would like them to not cause the crash and to be able to enter data into the subgenre field for FLACs too.

Before I forget! I want to hugely thank you for developing all these things and making them available to us. I know for a fact they've worked before when I ran WMP 11 on a former laptop, so I truly do know the quality of your work

I guess at this point, in delivering my needs to be able to enter data enter  the subgenre field of FLAC files, maybe you can direct me away from confusion - do I need to just install Windows Media Player Plus for this, or do I need WMP Tag Plus in addition to that? Because I had both installed before - maybe that was my problem?