Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: why can WMP receive CD metadata but foobar2000/dbpoweramp can't? (Read 3064 times) previous topic - next topic

why can WMP receive CD metadata but foobar2000/dbpoweramp can't?

Here's a question that's been bugging me.

I use foobar2000 and the paid version of dbpoweramp  to rip CDs. Both are outstanding.

But there are cases when a CD I put into my laptop receives no metadata from freedb or musicbrainz but windows media player can detect metadata easily. What's the deal?

I realize that WMP is relying on the proprietary DB Grace Note CDDB (and possibly others), but why would commercial rippers like dbpoweramp not buy a license to access CDDB? (Are the licenses really that expensive, or is it an ideological issue for them? )

I read online that winamp uses CDDB -- can anyone confirm this?

For 90% of what I rip, dbpoweramp is great, but I rip a lot of not-Western CDs.

Finally are there any plugins that might help with this process?

Fortunately, a lot of the metadata is just a google away, but it can become very tedious for that occasional CD that requires manual inputting of metadata....

Reply #1
Once a developer told me the license to use GD3 is $5 per user.
If this is a common price, then supporting a couple of paid databases becomes expensive.

A possible workflow:
-   Rip using dbPoweramp, I do think it the best ripper there is.
-   Rip to each CD in its own folder, all tracks must be in 1 folder otherwise the next step fails
-   If dbPoweramp meta data fails you, use any other app like MP3Tag, WMP, etc. to lookup the meta data
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #2
Windows Media Player does not use gracenote, it uses AMG, which is then added to internally by Microsoft.

dBpoweramp uses 2 commercial databases, GD3 and AMG.

There will always be small cases where a disc appears in one program (iTunes (Gracenote), dBpoweramp (AMG + GD3 + freedb + musicbrainz), WMP (AMG modified)) but not in another.