Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Science and subjectivism in audio (Read 3053 times) previous topic - next topic

Science and subjectivism in audio

http://www.dself.demon.co.uk/subjectv.htm

I'd say this hasn't been posted here before.

For those interested in audio electronics, check the main page.

Reply #1
That's a really good reading, KikeG. Thanks.

I'm wondering if one day some audio oriented "James Randi" will offer million dollars to anyone able to proof that he/she hears "the difference" 

Also while visiting the site, be sure to check out Failed projects page. Great laugh  I expecially love the German Audio Police ("Zo, Hans, the treble is veiled, und dere is some smearing of zer transients?") 

Reply #2
I'm wondering if one day some audio oriented "James Randi" will offer million dollars to anyone able to proof that he/she hears "the difference"

There was (and I guess still is) a pool at the rec.audio.opinion and rec.audio.high-end newsgroups that offered a reward of some thousand $$$ to anyone that could hear a difference in speaker cables under controlled conditions, given that the cables don't color the sound on purpose (IIRC the requirement was that the freq. response on terminals of the cable was flat within 0.1 dB from 20 Hz to 20 KHz, that I think any decent cable will meet under a regular speaker).

Despite a lot on discussion over this, nobody has still taken the challenge AFAIK.