Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "hotness" (Read 200403 times) previous topic - next topic

"hotness"

Reply #75
I have a column with nothing in it but %_hotness%. When there's no PLAY_COUNTER or LAST_PLAYED or whatever, it just shows up as 0. (Which makes sense.) But when i play the song and it updates the play counter, it (%_hotness%) changes from 0 to 26900. When i play the song again it changes to 13500. And so on, it keeps decreasing like that, i already gave the specific numbers above if that matters.

But... i'm guessing that it isn't s'posed to do that at all?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=275858"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For all of those like Lav and my self that have weird %_hotness% numbers the problem is resolved by checking "Make data info available" ( Makes %_system_year%, %_system_day%, %_system_month%, %_system_day_of_week%, %_system_hour% available in global variables string ) in the Globals section!

Good Luck, C00I90WN
Random number generation is too important to be left to chance

"hotness"

Reply #76
Oh wow. I NEVER would have figured that out. Thank you~!
~

"hotness"

Reply #77
Oh wow. I NEVER would have figured that out. Thank you~!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=275902"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No problem! Glad I could help!

Cya, C00I90WN
Random number generation is too important to be left to chance

"hotness"

Reply #78
Rad, now that it more or less works, i have some questions if that's OK. I'm horrible at maths, so i have no hope of ever understanding this on my own.

I'm sort of having a little trouble with the accuracy, i guess. It's not really trouble trouble, just kind of weird. I'm manually playing around with the tags to try to change the 'hotness' value, and i notice that it's not very precise. For example, if i set LAST_PLAYED to like 04:00 this morning it'll be 75% hotness. But if i set it to 23:55 last night, it jumps straight down to 50%. There is no in-between. No 60% or anything.

Is there a way i can make it more precise? Do i have to change the 'baseline' junk? Or am i just being really anal? :x
~

"hotness"

Reply #79
This is fantastic!

I can't believe I only just noticed this.

I had a similar idea in the following thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=260739

although no where near as detailed, and was hoping someone would do this.

and you know what? topdownjimmy did it!

THANK YOU TOPDOWNJIMMY

"hotness"

Reply #80
Is there a way i can make it more precise? Do i have to change the 'baseline' junk? Or am i just being really anal? :x
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=275920"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was thinking about making it change on an hourly rather than daily basis, because that would be more "graceful."  But I'm really not sure how that would affect its processing time, so I decided against it.  To care THAT much is pretty anal (although I'm anal as well )

Does anyone know if this would dramatically affect the resources demanded by hotness?

"hotness"

Reply #81
I had a similar idea in the following thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=260739
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=275994"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I really like the idea of "auto-rating," which this isn't, really.  Hotness takes recentness into account so heavily that it isn't a good indicator of which songs you actually like the most.

I also created code for "meta-rating," which simply multiplies %rating% by play frequency:

Code: [Select]
metarating=$div($mul($if2(%rating%,$get(avgrating)),%play_counter%,100),$get(age))

This gives me a wide range of numbers thare are on no absolute scale.  So it's still somewhat useful for sorting purposes, but I would really love it if there were some way to tell what the highest meta-rating was and convert every track's meta-rating to a five-point scale.  Otherwise when I see that a track's metarating is 250, it doesn't tell me anything.  Unfortunately, I think that's impossible.  But I think with that and hotness, I might be totally satisfied.

"hotness"

Reply #82
Oh!

i thought it was a similar sort of thing

looking at the end result only!

I was after something like:

somehow getting the ratings to start decreasing based on the last play date.
i.e. some sort of indication which visually shows which tracks have been played recently and often

and your code gives

a dot which reduces its color based on added, last played date and time, count, and rating

to me, it sounds like a better more complex version of the idea in that thread.  Oh well, what do i know

But I really love this script

Thanks again

"hotness"

Reply #83
decaying on an hourly basis would be pretty sweet. just my 2 cents.

"hotness"

Reply #84
how do i make a database explorer tree of hotness?
like:

-Hotness
--5: Goosebumps
--4: Very good
--3: Good
--2: Quite good
--1: Stands out (from the masses)

as upnorth level names

"hotness"

Reply #85
like:

-Hotness

as upnorth level names
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277258"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

(a) that scale doesn't exactly mirror the purpose of hotness (i.e., >=80% hotness doesn't mean "goosebumps" necessarily...you might not even like the song)

(b) I don't think system time and date are available to playlisttree, so this is just impossible to begin with  :/

"hotness"

Reply #86
like:

-Hotness

as upnorth level names
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277258"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

(a) that scale doesn't exactly mirror the purpose of hotness (i.e., >=80% hotness doesn't mean "goosebumps" necessarily...you might not even like the song)

(b) I don't think system time and date are available to playlisttree, so this is just impossible to begin with  :/
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277274"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sadly you're right. i cant even put hotness in "track info".
thanx anyway.

"hotness"

Reply #87
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

in PT there's %systemdate% which is in the form YYYYMMDD. The problem is not about that becaue I guess you can easily use that builtin function to retrieve systemdate info needed by hotness, the problem is that globals are not used in PT the same way as in columns UI. The only way to get this owrking in PT is by using $get(hotness) in the browser or $globalformat(hotness) in the PT main window. I've tried to get the script working, but without luck, the function seems to return weird results.

You can check here:
[a href="http://www.bowron.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]http://www.bowron.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t...der=asc&start=0[/url]

"hotness"

Reply #88
For all of those like Lav and my self that have weird %_hotness% numbers the problem is resolved by checking "Make data info available" ( Makes %_system_year%, %_system_day%, %_system_month%, %_system_day_of_week%, %_system_hour% available in global variables string ) in the Globals section!

Good Luck, C00I90WN
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=275896"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks! I was going nuts trying to figure this out.

"hotness"

Reply #89
something strange has occured...

as i was listening to an album, today, one i just added, i noticed it had a lower hotness than tracks i listened to yesterday, which were added in early february...

a you see on the image below, they were played at virtually the same time.  same rating, same playcount.  the only difference is the added date, which is the first of this month, and the 12th of last month.

the "older" track has a 91 hotness, while the "new" track is only 88

screenshot!

just thought i'd throw it out, incase anyone else has experienced it...

"hotness"

Reply #90
something strange has occured...

as i was listening to an album, today, one i just added, i noticed it had a lower hotness than tracks i listened to yesterday, which were added in early february...

a you see on the image below, they were played at virtually the same time.  same rating, same playcount.  the only difference is the added date, which is the first of this month, and the 12th of last month.

the "older" track has a 91 hotness, while the "new" track is only 88

screenshot!

just thought i'd throw it out, incase anyone else has experienced it...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278338"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's probably the format of your ADDED tags...these are supposed to be in the form YYYYMMDD, not YYYY-MM-DD like you have them.  This is the formatting used by the component I use to add the ADDED tags, linked to in the first post of this thread.  Hopefully the playcount component will be updated soon so we can switch to a FIRST_PLAYED standard.

"hotness"

Reply #91
ahh, alright.  that works better...

the last_played is in the correct format, right?  YYYY-MM-DD?  i thought both added and last_played were supposed to be that format...  (oops!)

"hotness"

Reply #92
I've been using Play Count for a while now, but my dates are all in a different format. I left it with the defaults

PLAY_DATE = %D%M%y (Produces 010305)
PLAY_TIME = $H$M$S (Produces 095829)

how do I fix this so I can use 'hotness' ?
Also, I have a bunch of stuff already setup to use the date in that format... can I change 'hotness' some how to work with my date instead of changing everything else?

Thanks

"hotness"

Reply #93
I get hotness=0 for all my songs, no matter what the playcount/added date/last_played/rating.  I believe I am using all the correct date formats and copied all the code correctly.  What else could be wrong?

I hope it's not trying to tell me all my music is really bad.

stripe/ben

"hotness"

Reply #94
I'm trying (again) to make hotness work with playlist tree and I'm almost there...I've had to trasnlate %_system_year%,etc... stuff to %systemdate% (which is in the form of YYYYMMDD) in order to get same results. I've also changed %last_played% to %__last_played% because I use mod playcount version (from kode54). And as PT doesn't handle globals as Columns UI I had to remove every square " in the code, and  change the last line in the form of

hotness=

to

$puts(hotness,
because PT can only retrieve in the form of $get(hotness) and not %_hotness%.

Anyway this give me some weird results because it doesn't match with the result I get from the column UI global, you can check it via this screenshot:
[a href=\"http://img184.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img184&image=clipboard4nc.png\" target=\"_blank\"]

$puts(baselinefrequency,14)
$puts(baselinedecay,7)

$puts(begindecaynow,1)

$puts(avgrating,3)

$if(%added%,$puts(age,$sub($add($mul($substr(%systemdate%,3,4),365),$select($substr(%systemdate%,5,6),0,31,59,90,120,151,181,212,243,273,304,334),$ifequal($mod($substr(%systemdate%,1,4),4),0,$ifgreater($substr(%systemdate%,5,6),2,1,0),0),$substr(%systemdate%,7,8)),$add($mul($substr(%added%,3,4),365),$select($substr(%added%,5,6),0,31,59,90,120,151,181,212,243,273,304,334),$ifequal($mod($substr(%added%,1,4),4),0,$ifgreater($substr(%added%,5,6),2,1,0),0),$right(%added%,2)))),$puts(age,$mul(%__play_counter%,$get(baselinefrequency))))

$puts(recentness,$sub($add($mul($substr(%systemdate%,3,4),365),$select($substr(%systemdate%,5,6),0,31,59,90,120,151,181,212,243,273,304,334),$ifequal($mod($substr(%systemdate%,1,4),4),0,$ifgreater($substr(%systemdate%,5,6),2,1,0),0),$substr(%systemdate%,7,8)),$add($mul($substr(%__last_played%,3,4),365),$select($substr(%__last_played%,6,7),0,31,59,90,120,151,181,212,243,273,304,334),$ifequal($mod($substr(%__last_played%,1,4),4),0,$ifgreater($substr(%__last_played%,6,7),2,1,0),0),$substr(%__last_played%,9,10))))

$puts(decay,$div($mul(%__play_counter%,$get(baselinefrequency),$get(baselinedecay),$if2(%rating%,$get(avgrating))),$mul($max($get(age),$get(baselinefrequency)),$get(avgrating))))

$puts(hotness,$div($mul($max($sub($get(decay),$add($get(recentness),$get(begindecaynow))),0),100),$get(decay)))

Thanks you very much.

"hotness"

Reply #95
I'm trying (again) to make hotness work with playlist tree and I'm almost there...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=280765"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow, thanks for doing this.  Now maybe hotness wil actually be useful.  I shied away from doing this long ago because honestly the propaganda has worked, and I'm terrified of playlist_tree, plus the last time I had it I could never get the systemdate components to work properly at all.  Very cool though, I will surely test this out on my fb2k. 

edit: I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the really horrifying philosophical problem with hotness: its aim seems to be to allow you to easily listen to your hot songs even more than you already have, only making them hotter and sending you along that downward spiral seen all across America on ClearChannel radio...  Looking back I think one of my motivations was that I like to make mix CDs every few months that define my musical tastes at the time, something that could be totally automated by making an 80-minute playlist of the hottest songs in my library.

"hotness"

Reply #96
I've been using Play Count for a while now, but my dates are all in a different format. I left it with the defaults

PLAY_DATE = %D%M%y (Produces 010305)
PLAY_TIME = $H$M$S (Produces 095829)

how do I fix this so I can use 'hotness' ?
Also, I have a bunch of stuff already setup to use the date in that format... can I change 'hotness' some how to work with my date instead of changing everything else?

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Check the wiki for scripts to convert your current formats to the "standard": [a href="http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Foobar2000#Standardize_my_PLAY_DATE_and_PLAY_TIME_fields]http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...LAY_TIME_fields[/url]

As for changing the code, it wouldn't be too difficult, just a matter of changing the substring indexes.  But this is why we're developing standards.    Maybe at the very least it would be a good idea to offer alternate hotness code that conforms to the default foo_playcount settings.  Sigh...I'm losing hope that that component will ever be rewritten...

WHAT DO WE WANT?  %FIRST_PLAYED%!  WHEN DO WE WANT IT?  NOW!

"hotness"

Reply #97

Thanks
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278484"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

check the first post, new code added for default play_date setting...hasn't been tested though 

"hotness"

Reply #98
Thanks, I tried it out, however I just get "?" in the column. Any ideas?

"hotness"

Reply #99
Wow, thanks for doing this.
Now maybe hotness wil actually be useful.

You're welcome, let's see if we can make it work.

I shied away from doing this long ago because honestly the propaganda has worked, and I'm terrified of playlist_tree,

Yeah, a lot of people are scared about this component for this reason, but I'm really happy with it, it's still in development so expect some bugs, but I didn't get any serious crash in the last two months.

edit: I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the really horrifying philosophical problem with hotness: its aim seems to be to allow you to easily listen to your hot songs even more than you already have, only making them hotter.

Yeah, I've also thought about that but for me is just like having a 'Most played' playlist and taking it into consideration in your mixing creations, you'll always get some of those tracks in the mix and therefore you'll get them more and more playcounts.

I like the idea behind hotness because it takes a lot of values as reference and 'rate' a song. It's easy to see what songs you like most and play most.

The only thign that I miss in fb2k is the possiblity of having a statistic that allows keeping track of all playcounts over the time, so you could create a 'hot tracks this month' and 'hot tracks last month' and 'hot tracks: global'. That will be much more interesting, because you could see what you did like most lover the time.