Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Large file support by neroAacEnc under Linux (Read 11442 times) previous topic - next topic

Large file support by neroAacEnc under Linux

Hello!

neroAacEnc didn't support large file under Linux. I try to encode file temp.wav with size 2,261,120K bytes but neroAacEnc report error:
ERROR: could not open WAV file

The command is:
# neroAacEnc -br 48000 -2pass -if temp.wav -of temp.aac

My configuration:

# neroAacEnc --help
Nero AAC Encoder             
Copyright 2008 Nero AG       
All Rights Reserved Worldwide 

Package build date: Sep 17 2008
Package version:    1.3.3.0   

# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 5 07:42:41 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Reply #1
Hmm, that's the error you get when fopen() fails... do smaller files work properly?
Normally I would say, try adding -ignorelength to the command line, but I guess that will not help much (you should try it anyway  ).

And on a sidenote, neroAacEnc creates files in the MP4 container, so you probably should not call them .AAC as players will get confused about that.

Reply #2
Hmm, that's the error you get when fopen() fails... do smaller files work properly?
Normally I would say, try adding -ignorelength to the command line, but I guess that will not help much (you should try it anyway  ).

And on a sidenote, neroAacEnc creates files in the MP4 container, so you probably should not call them .AAC as players will get confused about that.

Small files works great! I encode all of my xvid videos collection to h.264 and almost all files encoded well, but files with great than 2gb can't open.
-ignorelength options also didn't help. I try it before your post and almost all combination of options. 

I think that problem in integer types in neroAacEnc so encoder can't open files larger than int32.

I also submit support ticket about that error to nero ag from nero.com site.

If you need any tests I ready to do.

Thanks.

Reply #4

Small files works great! I encode all of my xvid videos collection to h.264 and almost all files encoded well, but files with great than 2gb can't open.
-ignorelength options also didn't help. I try it before your post and almost all combination of options. 

I think that problem in integer types in neroAacEnc so encoder can't open files larger than int32.

I also submit support ticket about that error to nero ag from nero.com site.

If you need any tests I ready to do.

It's not really a problem in the Nero AAC Encoder (for which Nero doesn't offer any support, so your support ticket will probably not get answered), but in the underlying file system.
I will check for next version if we can add large file support.

Reply #5
[I suppose the neroAacEnc is a 32bit executable.

You don't need a 64bit application to read a "large file", simply because the encoder does not need to have it all in memory.

Since the message is that it cannot open it, and menno suggests this in in the fopen call, it may have to do with the fopen call itself, and its structures.
This can be, since you usually can ask for the length of the file, and that usually returns an int.
(and note that int is still 32 bits in 64bits applications)

Reply #8
I will check for next version if we can add large file support.

Eh, that or saving stats for multipass runs externally in a file, like x264 does. That way, one could just use pipes even on 2pass encodings, currently the only reason one needs actual input files in the first place.

I've got exactly the same problem here. An over 2:10 hour movie 6chan at 48k, which results into over 4GB of WAV. As of now, there's apparently no chance to 2pass encode that with Nero (on Linux).

Reply #9
The problem still exists in 1.5.4.0.
With mkfifo it works well.

Reply #10
Just to expand on this a bit.  You would run this from the command line.

rm audio.fifo; mkfifo audio.fifo; cat audio.wav > audio.fifo & neroAacEnc -ignorelength -if audio.fifo -of audio.mp4