Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC to MP* using dBpoweramp, set compilation tag? (Read 5024 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC to MP* using dBpoweramp, set compilation tag?

Hi,

Background:
My audio library is currently, mainly, Exact Audio Copy generated FLAC files that I now want to transcode to MP4 or what ever for use with a shiny new 160GB Ipod Classic for use in the car.  I've bought dBpoweramp Reference and using the Batch Converter have tried a few files to get the naming scheme how I want it. For non-compilation albums all is well.  dBpoweramp isn't recognising the compilations though.  Having looked into it, briefly, it appears that dBpoweramp uses the Compilation tag whilst itunes uses a similar ITUNESCOMPILATION tag - neither of which are currently set for my library.

So..

the main question:
What's the best/most efficient way of adding the compilation tag so that dBpoweramp will recognise the compilations and then the resultant MP* files will be itunes/ipod compatible?

If poss. my preference would be to use Mediamonkey (I use the latest free version at present) or MP3Tag.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Ta

Reply #1
The FLAC file has which exact ID Tag for compilation? dBpoweramp should recognize 'compilation' set to 1 in FLAC files.

Reply #2
Hi, thanks for the reply..

I should have been clearer.. as far as I'm aware neither the compilation or itunescompilation tag is included in the files.  So my question was really how to go about getting one or other or both into the files and which one or both?

Cheers

Reply #3
I am not sure if FLAC files can carry that specific tag option or not.  I do know that you can convert the files to ALAC (Apple lossless), open them up in iTunes, add that compilation tag, and then use dBpowerAMP to convert those files using Nero AAC and the albums will show up as compilations in iTunes.  That is a long way of not doing what you wanted though.  Maybe a FLAC expert can chime in with another solution that is different from mine.

Reply #4
I am not sure if FLAC files can carry that specific tag option or not.  I do know that you can convert the files to ALAC (Apple lossless), open them up in iTunes, add that compilation tag, and then use dBpowerAMP to convert those files using Nero AAC and the albums will show up as compilations in iTunes.  That is a long way of not doing what you wanted though.  Maybe a FLAC expert can chime in with another solution that is different from mine.

When I rip with dbpa to FLAC, a complilation tag is set in the FLAC file. Foobar and SqueezeboxServer both recognize this tag in the FLAC file. When I use dbpa to convert FLAC to mp3, the ITUNESCOMPILATION tag is set to 1, if FLAC compilation is 1. I then use mp3tag to copy the ITUNESCOMPILATION value over to a regular COMPILATION tag (so that it is the same as the ITUNESCOMPILATION). I only do this latter step so that foobar2000 also recognizes that the file is from a compilation.

Reply #5
Cheers for the replies

Unfortunately (as I said in the first post) the rips were made with EAC and I'm not convinced that any compilation style tag has been written to the files... hence needing to know how to add them... so that when I transcode dBpoweramp will pick up that they are compilations...

Any ideas?

Reply #6
There will be a manual element to it. Move all the compilations into a seperate folder, then you could run [Update ID Tag] utility codec (from Batch Converter) to add a Compilation Tag.

Reply #7
Spoon - Brilliant.  Bang on what I wanted. Ability to automatically add the tags in a batch.  I'd not spotted the utility codecs... looks very powerful.

I just need to sort out the next bit now :-)

Thank-you

Reply #8
Needless to say, test on a single file first