Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BASSMIDI MIDI synthesiser for Windows XP/Vista/7 (Read 315425 times) previous topic - next topic

BASSMIDI MIDI synthesiser for Windows XP/Vista/7

Reply #100
looking at volume bug now, seems for some reason the driver itself won't read the key which is set in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Reply #101
Now, that is pretty strange. Hopefully it can be fixed.

Reply #102
looking at volume bug now, seems for some reason the driver itself won't read the key which is set in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

The first obvious question is... are you sure it is running as the current user and not system or something else?  (As i understand it, bassmidi acts as a driver)

Reply #103
you were right, fixed.

Reply #104
Here's a question. If the volume bug gets fixed, will a new version get released with just that fix? Or will you wait until you fix other things? Personally I would prefer to wait til other bugs are fixed, since you'd get all of the revisions in one update.

Reply #105
the second one

Reply #106
updated site, thanks to richnagel for letting me use his site for the new domain.

Reply #107
Hello,
I just started using the BassMidi driver together with VanBasko and it happens very often that when I play some MIDIs and stop them with the stop button going to press again after few seconds the Play button VanBasko hangs and in the TasKManager I see the CPU used at around 50%. I have to kill it manually

Reply #108
known issue with delay. might work on that, cant make promises.

Reply #109
Hi,
this is my first post, so first of all hello to everyone from Italy!
I am posting because I need some help: I was looking for a good SW synth with low latency and I found this bassmididrv that is considered a great one, I would like to use it to playalong with my midikeyboard and benefit of good soundfonts and low latecny.

My problem: I tried to install it (both the low lat. and the recent 2.0 version) but I am unable to generate any sound out of it. Porbably I am forgetting something really stupid but I cannot figure it out.

I have an ASUS P7P55 motherboard with VIA Vynil VT1828S embedded audio and Windows XP SP3.
midi playback works fine with:

-MS GS synthetiser (XP default)
-SynthFont synthetiser with and without ASIO drivers, routing through Maple Midi virtual cable

The installation of bassmidi goes well. I see the device listed and I set it as a default as a midi out and I force the selection to it also in the midi players programs.
I can open and see the midi mixer panel with all the 17 volume sliders, but when I start the playback there is no activity shown in it (probably Vu-Meters should show some movement) and no sound, while I can see the midi stream is sent to the driver from the app.

side notes:
- it seems that version 2 does not provide the disinstaller, while it comes with the 1.6
- after the first attempt, when I was selecting the bassmidi synth as output port in the player, I got a pop up with a sort of "general internal error" in the driver. To fix this I have to force via control panel/audio the selection of bassmidi synth as default output.
- tried to remove and add back asio drivers
- tried different soundfonts loaded
- tried to remove maple midi cable, since with bassmidi is not needed
- I am unable to disinstall entirely the bassmidi driver from the controlpanel/system/hardwaremanger/legacyaudiodrivers, I remove it, I reboot, it comes back

any idea of what could be interfering?
thank you,
best regards,
Mark

Reply #110
im sure there is more stable players than SynthFont...cannot begin to go on about how bad it is.
as for the rest, driver works here....

Reply #111
The driver currently routes through your default DirectSound device. Is this a working sound output device?

Reply #112
The driver currently routes through your default DirectSound device. Is this a working sound output device?

today I made a test just using the bass libraries:
if I use bassasio, the simple sinewave player is able to work, while if I use bass, I got the error " 3 -no output device"
I have a nvidia video card, maybe the system is detecting its digitalaudio outputport as the first one directsound,how can I check this and modifybthe enumeration.?
best regards
mark

Reply #113
Okay, that suggests a more severe underlying issue.

What version is your sound card drivers? Do other applications work?

Reply #114
Okay, that suggests a more severe underlying issue.

What version is your sound card drivers? Do other applications work?

Hi,
yes, bassmidi synth is the only one that does not work.Synthfont for example works well, both with asio and without.
I tested also some midi files with XMPlay today, that I think is using the same bass libraries, and it works well and I am able to change the soundfont too.

The audio driver is the latest one: VIA High Definition Audio 04.08.2010  ver. 6.0.1.8700
I cheched and this is correctly set as default playback sound device.

The message I get when I try to use bassmidi syth is exactly this one:
"Can't initialise output device (Error code 3)"

is there any log / dump that I could get to facilitate the troubleshooting?

is there a way to use bassmididrv together with bassasio.dll instead of bass.dll (this seems to work with other programs)?

thank you for the help
best regards,
Mark

Reply #115
Very odd, I have a similar chipset and all is well here O.O

As for BASSWASAPI/BASSASIO, I have to personally wonder why such a odd workaround.

Reply #116
Very odd, I have a similar chipset and all is well here O.O

As for BASSWASAPI/BASSASIO, I have to personally wonder why such a odd workaround.

Hi,
today I installed a new fresh XP SP3 on another partition and it works if I boot from this one!
Clearly it is not an hardware problem.
Driver versions are the same too, but there must be something from some previous installations that is interfering. I had a SB Live in the past that was removed, maybe its driver is still listed somewhere and seen as #1.

best regards,
Marco

p.s. and thank very much for the support!

Reply #117
weird, so driver installer bugs again?

got around to uploading older installs, so people can try out older ones if they work better.

http://www.mudlord.info/crap/audio/

Thanks to Rich Nagel for archiving all the installers so I can grab them, much appreciated.

Reply #118
Hi Mudlord,
Hopefully Bassmidi development is going well.
Just a few questions.
1. I'm using Bassmidi 1.06 low latency and it works better for me than 2.02 but doesn't seem to have any new stuff that I can see anyway. When new versions of Bassmidi get released, particularly those with major changes, will low latency versions of them be released as well? Or maybe a latency setting could be added even if it's just in a config file somewhere like Timidity does, or maybe a slider like in some other synths.
2. Is the volume slider fixed? If so, IMHO it would be a good idea to release that as 2.03 or something.
Thanks for what we have so far. I can use 1.06 as is.
BTW, I wouldn't recommend trying bassmidi 1.0, as it has looping issues if the finish loop point is too close to the end of a sample. This was also a bug in the older versions of the midi plug-in of XM Play.

Reply #119
1. I'm using Bassmidi 1.06 low latency and it works better for me than 2.02 but doesn't seem to have any new stuff that I can see anyway. When new versions of

Thanks for the awesome idea, I don't personally see the harm in adding extra options to the installer to allow picking of "low latency" forks, which forgoe the DirectMusic implementation for something more basic. Sure a little more work, but nice idea!

Main reason why 2.0x versions have latency is DirectMusic: Which is something we cannot work around in that. Thanks a lot MS >_>. But its needed for the VST driver though, unless we go to the extra hassle of coding a DirectSound backend.

2. Is the volume slider fixed? If so, IMHO it would be a good idea to release that as 2.03 or something.
Thanks for what we have so far. I can use 1.06 as is.

I honestly can't remember when it first broke. I remember tinkering with the SVN at some point to but I can't remember when.

Reply #120
updated vstdriver to 1.1

Reply #121
Hi guys,
This is a pretty complicated problem I am having with the Bassmidi driver. Hopefully you can figure it out.
About six months ago I installed Bassmidi 2.02 on here. A few months later a friend told me that bassmidi 1.06 low latency was working better for him, so I put it on, and sure enough it was working for me too. But, I have a bad habbit of forgetting to uninstall other versions of stuff, so Bassmidi 1 was installed right over Bassmidi 2. bassmidi 1 was working fine but the bassmidi 2 wasn't working at all. So, I just avoided using that version of the driver.
But, some programs don't like two drivers with the same name, which was happening in my bassmidi situation. So I tried to install one of them. Bassmidi 1 was the only one I could actually get rid of because Basssmidi 2's uninstaller may have gotten deleted or something. I don't know enough to tell exactly what might have happened but Bassmidi 1 was the only one that was showing up in C Clean'er's uninstaller.
Once Bassmidi 1 was removed, I discovered that Bassmidi 2 was working again, but the shortcuts were missing, like configure driver and uninstall. So, I reinstalled Bassmidi 2 thinking I could get them back and working properly, then I would uninstall it and start over using Bassmidi 1 since that is my preferred version now.
Unfortunately it's not working out. After reinstalling Bassmidi 2, some problems occured. Bassmidi no longer works now because everything that tries to use it says it can't open the output port because it is already in use. I can't uninstall it because the uninstaller was not installed. I extracted Bassmidi 2's setup file with uniextract, and found the uninstaller and tried to run it, but it popped up a window and then it disappeared and nothing was changed.
So, I have a severely broken Bassmidi driver 2.02 that I can not get rid of. Is there any way i can clean this up so I can start over?
Thanks very much in advance!

Reply #122
Run regsvr /u bassmididrv.dll on the driver dll

Delete any bassmididrv.dll related keys from there.
Find any bassmididrv.dll files on your drive and delete them.
Then, restart.

Reply #123
Hi guys,
I am having a pretty big problem with Bassmidi now which has probably resulted in me having two broken bassmidis trying to use each other..
It started when I got bassmidi 2.02 about six months ago. As you might have read from earlier posts, I went back to 1.06 because its low latency was working better for me. However, when I installed version 1, I forgot to uninstall version 2. So it left two bassmidi ports in my outputs, one of which didn't work.
I thought I would just let it go since bassmidi 1 was working as expected, but some programs didn't like the fact that I had two midi devices with the exact same name, so I had to uninstall one of them. So, Bassmidi 1 was the only thing that I could actually get rid of, so I did that. Then Basmidi 2 was working again but all of its shortcuts, like configure driver, and uninstall, were missing. So, I reinstalled it, thinking I could uninstall it properly and put Bassmidi 1 back on.
Problem was, when I reinstalled basmidi 2, it came up with several errors. I wasn't using it but there were quite a number of files it couldn't write.
I checked one of the .exe files with unlocker, and it came up with a host of other files it thoughht were using it, the list is huge. I have restarted when the installers told me to, so I'm not quite sure what's going on. When it instaled what it could, it stopped working altogether. Now anything that tries to use Basmidi says it can't open the output port or some variation of that. The uninstaler doesn't seem to work, it didn't even look like it had gotten installed. I even tried extracting it from the setup file with uniextract, and copying it to the folder where it needed to be, and it just came up for about two seconds and disappeared. I'm guessing it's because the thing wasn't completely installed so it doesn't know how to uninstall it?
As you guys might gather, I don't know enough to go fixing registry issues, so I haven't ventured there. i'm not that savvy.
so, does anyone know how I can fix this and start over?
Thanks very much in advance!

Reply #124
I already merged in and informed you via PM about your earlier post (now #122) where you said almost exactly the same thing, and mudlord already replied with a suggested method of fixing your problem. Was something about that insufficient?