Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Loudness War trend (Read 21347 times) previous topic - next topic

Loudness War trend

Reply #25
Search for clip(ping) restoration and audio restoration on Google and you will find a couple of apps ranging from standalone tools to big DAWs.
Even Audacity has a 'clip fix' effect, but I don't know how well it works.

ReplayGain can only prevent sample clipping and not fix what's already on the recording.
"I hear it when I see it."

Loudness War trend

Reply #26
Search for clip(ping) restoration and audio restoration on Google and you will find a couple of apps ranging from standalone tools to big DAWs.
Even Audacity has a 'clip fix' effect, but I don't know how well it works.

ReplayGain can only prevent sample clipping and not fix what's already on the recording.

I will do that, but you could have mentioned which you have experience with. I'm familiar with audacity. Its quite good but it seems to add or emphasise noise on some parts.

Loudness War trend

Reply #27
I think that the overall understanding is that everybody's stuck at a level of -10dB.
New Noel Gallagher's material I've read hitting -9dB to -12dB, but not harsh like some unique cases like Oasis' Morning Glory.
Depeche Mode, Satriani and other bands I keep following (even Enya) all pushed a little bit more louder in their latest releases.
I do understand that Satriani's 2008 album "Professor Satch" was one of the worst mastered record from his catalogue... it's around -8dB but all dynamics are killed and sounds muffled.

That is... we are no where near the end of this...

Loudness War trend

Reply #28
I will do that, but you could have mentioned which you have experience with. I'm familiar with audacity. Its quite good but it seems to add or emphasise noise on some parts.

Sorry, I don't have experience with Audacity but I've achieved good results with iZotope RX for example, or Audition.
"I hear it when I see it."

Loudness War trend

Reply #29
The loudness war hasn't declined at all. Infact, it's stayed the same since early 2000 and has actually gotten worse.