Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Error when embedding EAC extraction log in flac file using metaflac (Read 5318 times) previous topic - next topic

Error when embedding EAC extraction log in flac file using metaflac

Hi. I just ripped an extremely old CD into a single file FLAC image + CUE sheet. When I try to embed the EAC extraction log file into the image, I get the following error:

Code: [Select]
C:\Users\Me\Desktop>metaflac.exe --set-tag-from-file="eaclog=1.log" 1.flac
1.flac: ERROR: file '1.log' for 'eaclog' tag value has embedded NULs

I am able to embed other files such as the CUE sheet into the 'cuesheet' block using the same command without any problems.

I have seen REACT2 embed EAC log files into the 'eaclog' block without any problems before, so I don't understand why this operation fails when executed separately on the command line.

For the record, I use Windows 7 64-bit and I am logged in as the administrator.

Please help me embed the file into the said metadata block.

Reply #1
Silly me!! I just used FB2K to embed the metadata.

Wonder why I didn't think of it earlier 

Reply #2
Still, I wonder why the log had a NUL in it?

Reply #4
Oh, so metaflac doesn’t support Unicode; thanks for the explanation.

Reply #5
metaflac apparently supports Unicode. metaflac uses UTF-8 for tagging;
UTF-8 is one of Unicode byte representations, which is ASCII compatible and far more preferable than UTF-16LE as a text encoding.
It's just that metaflac doesn't support UTF-16LE as external text encoding by any means.

metaflac assumes locale charset (or codepage in Windows) as external text encoding (command line args, and text files) by default.
When --no-utf8-convert option is specified, it assumes UTF-8 is used, and doesn't do any character encoding conversion.
However, no UTF-16LE.

So, in this case, the following will work:
  • Convert UTF-16LE encoded EAC log to UTF-8 (notepad can be used in Windows).
  • Then, pass metaflac the UTF-8 encoded log with --no-utf8-convert specified.

Reply #6
metaflac apparently supports Unicode. metaflac uses UTF-8 for tagging;
UTF-8 is one of Unicode byte representations, which is ASCII compatible and far more preferable than UTF-16LE as a text encoding.
It's just that metaflac doesn't support UTF-16LE as external text encoding by any means.

metaflac assumes locale charset (or codepage in Windows) as external text encoding (command line args, and text files) by default.
When --no-utf8-convert option is specified, it assumes UTF-8 is used, and doesn't do any character encoding conversion.
However, no UTF-16LE.

So, in this case, the following will work:
  • Convert UTF-16LE encoded EAC log to UTF-8 (notepad can be used in Windows).
  • Then, pass metaflac the UTF-8 encoded log with --no-utf8-convert specified.

I tried --no-utf8-convert with --set-tag=FIELD and doesn't work. How can Unicode tags be set with metaflac?

Reply #7
^ Got it to work by using --set-tag-from-file=FIELD