Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphone distribution amplifier (Read 10820 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphone distribution amplifier

Hello, I want to power two headphones at the same time, an HD600 and an HD650. Currently I'm looking at the Behringer AMP800 and the PreSonus HP4. One of the problems I have with them is that they both have very big output impedances (47ohms and 51ohms, respectively).

Is it possible for the O2 to serve them both at the same time using a headphone splitter? But I think the HD650 would be louder than the HD600 for the same level. How do you guys propose I solve this?

You could also suggest different products. Budget is ~150USD. I want something that could power two headphones, has inaudible noise, has an output impedance of < 2ohm, and adds no coloration to the sound and has separate volume control for each headphone output.

Thank you and good day.

Reply #1
You could also suggest different products. Budget is ~150USD. I want something that could power two headphones, has inaudible noise, has an output impedance of < 2ohm, and adds no coloration to the sound and has separate volume control for each headphone output.

Get two of these and a splitter:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E6-Headphone-Am.../ref=pd_sim_e_1

Cost is $55 and you'll have independent volume control, which you will absolutely need for headphones with such different sensitivities.

Also, 0.25 ohm output impedance.

Reply #2
One of the problems I have with them is that they both have very big output impedances (47ohms and 51ohms, respectively).
I would suspect, that's the recommended load impedance, and that the effective source impedance is much lower.  If they publish a spec that says "1 Ohm", some people might think they can connect a 4 Ohm speaker, or that you are supposed to use 1 Ohm headphones.

Reply #3
The amp800 really does spec a 47 ohm output impedance and they provide power specs at 100 ohm load so I assume its just not very good. Would handle high impedance phones well enough though.

Reply #4
Is the Fiio E6 capable of raising the volume to comfortable listening levels for classical or music with really wide dynamic range for the HD600 and HD650?

Reply #5

I use a Behringer HA4700 headphone amplifier sandwiched between Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones and an ASUS Xonar DX soundcard.
These hardware components receive 16bit - 44100KHz .wav files which i created using ExactAudioCopy via Foobar2000 and the ASUS Xonar DXs ASIO driver.
This hardware / software / input signal configuration has kept me very satisfied for over a year now and i do not believe it is possible to improve apon it without
totally annihilating the law of diminishing returns.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HA4700.aspx

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HA8000.aspx

The Behringer HA4700 has four independent amplifiers for connecting headphones while the Behringer HA8000 has eight.
The HA4700 has both tone and balance controls whereas the HA8000 has neither.
The HA4700 MAIN IN and MAIN OUT connectors come as balanced 1/4" TRS and XLR.
The HA8000 features 1/4" TRS connecters for both MAIN INPUTs.

HA4700 Specs

Price
$149 AU
MAIN IN
HF-filtered, servo-balanced XLR- and 1/4" TRS connectors
Input impedance
40 kΩ balanced,
30 kΩ unbalanced
Max. input level
16 dBu balanced and unbalanced
CMRR
typically 40 dB, >55 dB @ 1 kHz
AUX IN
1/4" TRS connector (stereo)
Input impedance
5 kΩ
Max. input level
+22 dBu
DIRECT IN
Input impedance
15 kΩ   
MAIN OUT
XLR- and 1/4" TRS connectors, balanced
PHONES OUTPUT
Max. output power
+24 dBm (load impedance 100 Ω)
+21 dBm (load impedance 8 Ω)
Min. output load impedance 8 Ω
Frequency response
10 Hz to 150 kHz, +/-3 dB
Noise
22 Hz to 22 kHz >90 dB @ 0 dBu
Dynamic range
22 Hz to 22 kHz: 110 dB
Distortion (THD)
0.006 % typ. @ +4 dBu, 1 kHz, Gain 1

HA8000 Specs

Price
$178 AU
MAIN IN
HF-filtered, servo-balanced 1/4" TRS connectors
Input impedance
40 kΩ balanced,
20 kΩ unbalanced
Max. input level
16 dBu balanced and unbalanced
CMRR
typically 40 dB, >55 dB @ 1 kHz
AUX IN
DIRECT IN
Input impedance
15 kΩ   
PHONES OUTPUT
Max. output power
+24 dBm (load impedance 100 Ω)
Min. output load impedance
100 Ω
Frequency response
10 Hz to 150 kHz, +/-3 dB
Noise
22 Hz to 22 kHz >90 dB @ 0 dBu
Dynamic range
22 Hz to 22 kHz: 110 dB
Distortion (THD)
0.006 % typ. @ +4 dBu, 1 kHz, Gain 1

Reply #6
I use a Behringer HA4700 headphone amplifier sandwiched between Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones and an ASUS Xonar DX soundcard.
These hardware components receive 16bit - 44100KHz .wav files which i created using ExactAudioCopy via Foobar2000 and the ASUS Xonar DXs ASIO driver.
This hardware / software / input signal configuration has kept me very satisfied for over a year now and i do not believe it is possible to improve apon it without

Unfortunately, it is too big for me. I can't find it locally and shipping would be too expensive.

The amp800 really does spec a 47 ohm output impedance and they provide power specs at 100 ohm load so I assume its just not very good. Would handle high impedance phones well enough though.

Will the 47ohm output impedance make an audible change when used with the HD600/HD650? I would prefer if everything is in one box.

Reply #7

Unfortunately, it is too big for me. I can't find it locally and shipping would be too expensive.

Will the 47ohm output impedance make an audible change when used with the HD600/HD650? I would prefer if everything is in one box.

The convenience of one box I don't think outweighs the need for each person to have their own volume control.

Reply #8

The HD600/HD650 are rated at 300 ohms .. that is reasonably high enough for a 47 ohm output.  I have the Pyle-Pro PHA40 ($16 on Amazon US. rated at 80 ohm output) for my bedroom where I mix and match headphones depending on need, which I have taken apart and analyzed the circuitry to plan for modifications ... the PHA40 has a 47 ohm protection resistor on each output, I imagine the AMP800 is similar ..  for high impedance phones like yours, you "could" short out those resistors lowering the output impedance... although for your phone I do not think it would make much difference with your phones/