Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sony BMG settles anti-piracy CDs charges (Read 7109 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony BMG settles anti-piracy CDs charges

Source

So Sony BMG has finally decided to start reimbursing consumers for the damage their rootkit audio CDs have caused! Those whose PCs (Macs not affected I believe?) were damaged (due to the anti-piracy software) have up until the end of June to claim the reimbursement. Sony BMG has also offered to exchange those "faulty" CDs within the above stated period, but the CDs must be purchased before Dec 31, 2006.

Sony BMG also must provide an uninstall tool and patches to repair the security vulnerabilities on consumers' computers and must advertise them on its Web site.

Reply #1
agreed to reimburse consumers up to $150 for damage to their computers
That is just a slap on the wrist.  It should be at least $1500 or more depending on how much actual damage was caused.  Then maybe they would learn their lesson.

I think it's funny how the record labels sue people for like $400 (guessed number) per song and they only have to pay $150 per person. 
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #2
Sony BMG also must provide an uninstall tool and patches to repair the security vulnerabilities on consumers' computers and must advertise them on its Web site.

Yeah it's against the law now too 
budding I.T professional

Reply #3
i wonder why are the authorities not forcing sony to launch a nation wide ad blitz about the exchange. what sony did is no less than severe than what all these crooks with malware and trojans do. the penalties should have been much heavier. this settlement is a joke!
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #4
DRM copyright cartel crooks are no better, if not worse, than the people they're trying to stop with this silly rootkit in the first place.

That's some good PR they got themselves, btw. Way to go Sony. 

Reply #5
What PR?  This case wasn't front page news or any major nightime news stories...

The settlement isn't really a joke, but it should have been far more severe than this.  I truly doubt that this settlement will have any real lasting effect on Sony...
JXL

Reply #6
Dam, this is just a slap on the wrist to them!

They have infringed the GPL license with using code from LAME and FAAC.

The License Agreement on the Sony BMG CDs is really strict and you not allowed to own a XCP Sony CD if you are bankrupt  .

The XCP software really f**ks the customers computer.

The XCP software installs even if you do not agree to the terms dialog window.

The XCP rootkit has been used on some Viruses.

WOW and online games cheaters are using the XCP rootkit to hide cheat apps.

XCP software even been installed on some US Military computers 

And all this shit they have created and they just have throw abit of money to customers. Dam am tempted to burn all my Alice In Chains, Slayer, Soundgarden and System Of A Down CDs because of the XCP bullshit Sony BMG have made.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #7
The License Agreement on the Sony BMG CDs is really strict and you not allowed to own a XCP Sony CD if you are bankrupt  .

The correct EULA reads as follows...

Both the XCP and MediaMax CDs include outrageous, anti-consumer terms in their "clickwrap" EULAs. For example, if purchasers declare personal bankruptcy, the EULA requires them to delete any digital copies on their computers or portable music players. The same is true if a customer's house gets burglarized and his CDs stolen, since the EULA allows purchasers to keep copies only so long as they retain physical possession of the original CD. EFF is demanding that Sony BMG remove these unconscionable terms from its EULAs.

http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2005_11.php