Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3 -> wav -> mp3 sound quality? (Read 4852 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3 -> wav -> mp3 sound quality?

I was really hoping someone here could give me some advice to minimise the degredation of sound quality converting mp3s to wavs and then back to mp3s. Why would I do something so crazy, you ask?

Here's the deal: until I can afford something new or Steve Jobs takes over Sony, I am stuck using Sonicstage. Some of my MP3s just won't play in software and on my DAP and I am now forced to convert them to wav's and then back to mp3s (last resort, only thing that works - "It's a Sony"  ). These are files I obviously can't just re-rip, so I'm stuck. I realise this is possibly a very subjective question, but I'm naturally worried about sound degredation and wanted to ask if anyone knew of a way to do this while minimising the impact on sound quality. The files are currently 320kbs CBR, ripped using Real Jukebox a few years ago, and using lossless isn't an option due to my tiny 40GB hard drive.

Any help will be much appreciated,

-Nav

Reply #1
MP3 -> WAV -> MP3 shouldn't sound differently than MP3 -> MP3.
If reencoding is the only working solution for you then use the best encoder at the highest bitrate to minimize the quantisation error effects. It should be LAME at 320 kbps.

Reply #3

Some of my MP3s just won't play in software and on my DAP

tried mp3repacker?

Thanks for the suggestions - really appreciate it. I did try mp3repack and, in all honesty, I found it to be a bit much for me. I think if mp3 -> mp3 is going to be same deal, then I am going to use dbPowerAMP since it has LAME and a 30 day free trial.

Thanks again,

-Nav

Reply #4
But mp3repacker is lossless. If it works, it's a better solution than full re-encoding (which loses quality).

Cheers,
David.

Reply #5
But mp3repacker is lossless. If it works, it's a better solution than full re-encoding (which loses quality).

Cheers,
David.

In theory, mp3repacker should be better, but it doesn't work for me. 'Repacked' files still won't play in Sonicstage. Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Nav

Reply #6
Which way are you repacking them - from VBR to CBR or from CBR to VBR?

Reply #7
You could also try MP3val to fix your MP3s.
FLAC.

Reply #8
Thanks so much for all the suggesetions. Unforunately, they didn't fix the problem, but it's apprecaiated nonetheless. I eventually gave up and 're-transcoded' to mp3 and that did fix the problem - I used dbPowerAMP and just went from 320 -> 320 and alt present insane (which I'm assuming was the highest?).

The actual drop in sound quality wasn't as bad as I expected. It's noticeable on the highs and voices etc., but it isn't as bad as one might think.

Here's hoping Sony gets their act together someday...

-Nav