Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recommended “audiophile” soundcard for Linux/Fedora 16 up to $260 (Read 4689 times) previous topic - next topic

Recommended “audiophile” soundcard for Linux/Fedora 16 up to $260

I tried that with Fedora 11, but Pulse Audio seems to be built deep down onto the whole distro unlike Ubuntu (well atm). Even when i managed to remove it, I did get sound but the GNOME volume control panel won't work and the whole system unstable.

You will need to recompile the whole GNOME multimedia subsystem, including Gstreamer, and most likely every single multimedia program that you have.

IMO Fedora 11 has to be one of the worst Linux distros i've ever used because of Pulse Audio and it's god awful partion manager on Anaconda; it just felt like a beta build.

I can't comment on this, since I haven't used a Redhat distro since the Bob Young days.

Hi. I just wondering what Audiophile Sound Card you are using?   

I'm using Fedora 16, a Xonar DX and Sennheiser 555 headphones modded to 595's.

I recently got to try an M-Audio 192 (Soundwave / Sound Terminal? 192L) and was impressed by the soundstage (??) of the card, but there were no drivers for Linux so, alas, I never got to hear it's sound quality in Fedora 16, or Ubuntu, only in WinDowzz (which I actually don't use).

I'm also looking for a 'well supported' Linux compatible audiophile sound card.  I'm wanting to spend up to $250 (Oz) dollars so that equates to approximately $190 pounds, or $260us. 

Does anyone have any recommendations or at least point me in a particular direction compatibles with my Linux distro. Recommendations and constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply #1
Holy thread resurrection!

I'm currently using a AudioEngine D1 which should be compatible with Linux

Are Audioengine DACs compatible with Linux?
Absolutely! Audioengine DACs are fully compatible with Ubuntu Linux, and should work on other *nix systems without any additional software or drivers

For the price it's a excellent USB DAC with RCA and headphone out.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
I recently got to try an M-Audio 192 (Soundwave / Sound Terminal? 192L) and was impressed by the soundstage (??) of the card, but there were no drivers for Linux so, alas, I never got to hear it's sound quality in Fedora 16, or Ubuntu, only in WinDowzz (which I actually don't use).

Audiophile 192 has been supported in stock linux kernel for years. How did you test it?

I like the inexpensive Infrasonic Quartet (also fully supported) for 100 USD http://store.auzentech.com/infrasonic-quartet-p46.aspx