Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need a second of silence (Read 9867 times) previous topic - next topic

Need a second of silence

I encoded a compilation CD by various artists, which barely had any gaps between the songs (I know it's nuts). Now I want to add padding to my mp3's at least. Please help!

Need a second of silence

Reply #1
There is an Edit MP3 Gapless Playback Information utility in foobar2000.
There is some information on the wiki here: Gapless playback.

Need a second of silence

Reply #2
It sounds like he wants essentially the opposite of gapless playback: the original CD didn't have much silence between tracks, so now he wants to add a second or two of silence to his MP3s as a buffer between songs.

Did you save lossless copies of the CD audio? If so, a straightforward method would be to append silence to the end of each track before encoding to MP3. If you only saved the MP3 files, you'd have to re-rip the CD.

If you really need to edit the MP3 files directly, delaycut can pad MP3 files without transcoding, but it only seems to work on CBR files.

Need a second of silence

Reply #3
Any audio editor can add silence to the end (or beginning) of a file.  Audacity is FREE.  I mostly use GoldWave ($50 USD after free trial).

Now I want to add padding to my mp3's...
FYI - There are issues when editing MP3s - A "normal" audio editor has to de-compress before editing.  That means you go through a 2nd lossy encoding step when you re-save.  (You may not notice any quality loss, but you should avoid re-encoding if possible.)

So, I'd suggest re-ripping to WAV.  Edit the WAV and save-as MP3.  (Since WAV is not "easily" tagged, the ripped WAV files might not be tagged, and you might have to do it manually.)

Another option is to use a special-purpose MP3 editor that can do limited editing without de-compressing/re-compressing.  mp3DirectCut is FREE.    I'm not sure if mp3DirectCut can add silence, but it can join files.  So, you can make a 1-second silent MP3 (with a regular audio editor) and join the files together.

Need a second of silence

Reply #4
So, I'd suggest re-ripping to WAV.  Edit the WAV and save-as MP3.  (Since WAV is not "easily" tagged, the ripped WAV files might not be tagged, and you might have to do it manually.)

I spent so much time manually tagging mp3's. I would hate to lose my work.

mp3DirectCut is FREE.    I'm not sure if mp3DirectCut can add silence, but it can join files.  So, you can make a 1-second silent MP3 (with a regular audio editor) and join the files together.

This is possibly the way to go.

Need a second of silence

Reply #5
To create a fade or a silence for a selection you can use the gain dialog in the Edit menu. A gain area can also be created by the Normalize function in the Edit menu.
Not sure, but you can probably cut and paste a part of the desired length to the place you want and then silence it.

Edit:
How can I insert a piece of audio or some silence?
Insert works olny if you compile a file by appending pieces. To add silence record a piece of it and save some seconds to a new file, then append something to this silence. And so on.