Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Signal Strength Query (Read 2960 times) previous topic - next topic

Signal Strength Query

Hello All,

I am trying to understand the variables regarding the strength of incoming audio signals and how they are processed through computer sound cards.  The OS in question is Win XP.

I have a internet music subscription account from which I capture and record the stream using 3rd party software.  If I use my daughter's eMachine computer with it's cheapo on-board sound card, the signal is very strong, at least in the sense that I have to set both the incoming (play volume) and recording settings very "low" to avoid over modulation.  If I use my Dell computer at work with it's high(er)-end Creative Audigy 1 card, I often have to push the Windows play and record sliders to their maximum to get a decent signal.  (I have been using the meter at http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html as a benchmark tool of sorts.)

So I guess what I am asking is why the great variance in the two signals.  I would expect that the Audigy would out-perform the MOB card, but perhaps I am missing something. Is there another setting(s) that I should be playing with?

I would assume that the internet connection would not have anything to do with the audio signal. ( Just by way of information, my daughter is on a cable modem at about 1200k about and I have a fixed wireless connection running about 400k.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Signal Strength Query

Reply #1
I really can't shed any light on your question, but I too have been curious about this. I use a M-Audio Delta 44 to archive and record various sources. When I record vinyl, I test the waters, then record hot. I am still trying to figure out if I should be using Peakmaster (Wavelab 5) or just leave well enough alone; or just normalize instead.

DC
Sherwood S5000
Sherwood S2000
Numark PPD9000
VPI HW19
JSAirbearingTonearm
Grado Sonata
Grado PH1
Denon DMR800
Denon CDRW1500
Klipsch RF35