Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sony new NAS-CZ1 iTunes Boombox! (Read 9500 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony new NAS-CZ1 iTunes Boombox!

Sony NAS-CZ1.. What an awful name (say it to youself and see what it looks/sounds like). But here is the first non-Apple audio hardware player that will playback Apple protected(DRM) iTunes AAC music and also regular AAC music, plus lots of other formats (see news artciles for picture and details). It looks like Steve Jobs has finally "opened up" and licensed the Apple Fairplay DRM now to Sony. Perhaps the start of a new Apple-Sony partnership of products?

Here are the new stories about this new player:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/5509/

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22578

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/default.asp?paget...ubsectionid=753

Reply #1
Very interesting and very cool. Let's hope for more iTunes enabled 3rd paty products!

Reply #2
And it ain’t fussy, automatically supporting iTunes and the other usual suspects such as Windows Media Player, Musicmatch and SonicStage via its supplied M-crew Server software.

I wonder if all audio format supported by WMP (there are directshow filter for vorbis, mpc, flac, wavpack, optimfrog, monkey's) are working with this device.

Reply #3
I'll bet someone in marketing is really going to catch it over the name though! Imagine you coming up with a product name that phonetically might not want to be anything that Sony is connected with. I would have to say that would be a Marketing 101 no-no. But perhaps the Japanese developers at Sony didn't make the connection. You would have thought someone would have pointed this out to them before they actually put out press releases about the product. Maybe they've never heard of phonetics.

Reply #4
Regarding the product name, it's not immediately obvious unless you either use US pronunciation or see the "1" as an "I" (unless everyone else is seeing something different to me?).

Reply #5
Transcoding?

Reply #6
Regarding the product name, it's not immediately obvious unless you either use US pronunciation or see the "1" as an "I" (unless everyone else is seeing something different to me?).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291811"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too had a hard time seeing the meaning "Nazi" (if that's what you guys mean) until you pointed out about reading 1 as I. I don't think that is something that will get people all worked up about.

Reply #7

I too had a hard time seeing the meaning "Nazi" (if that's what you guys mean) until you pointed out about reading 1 as I. I don't think that is something that will get people all worked up about.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291883"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title... which caused me to immediately wonder whether the reports were a hoax of some sort.

But I now suspect a misunderstanding. From the www.t3.co.uk review (with additional emphasis for clarity):
Launching in the UK in July 2005, it enables you to stream music wirelessly from your PC into whichever room it proudly sits. And it ain’t fussy, automatically supporting iTunes and the other usual suspects such as Windows Media Player, Musicmatch and SonicStage via its supplied M-crew Server software. Plus, as you’d expect, it’s compatible with most audio files including MP3, WAV, ACC and WMA.

Now the last line sounds like it should play anything, right? But we're all familiar with how Sony has improperly used the phrase "compatible with" in the past. Sure, the newest generation of Hi-MD players can (supposedly... I've yet to see one!) play MP3 without having to transcode the files, but according to Sony, MiniDisc units have always been "compatible with" MP3.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong. If Sony have arranged licensing for Apple-protected playback, my new dream-device would be an *.aac/*.m4a/*.m4b/*.m4p Hi-MD player, with the fully-gapless playback MiniDisc users have always enjoyed.

- M.

Reply #8
IMHO it's way too hard to remember and takes too long to pronounce. Let's say NAS is one word, you'd still have to say "C" "Z" "1"....unless the 1 is an 'I'...but I had never thought of that if Roberto didn't mention it...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #9
Something about the name: I didn't see it at all until it was mantioned. I am from germany, and as you might know everything in germany, which is connected with it or even with patrioty, is strictly censored.

but don't let go off topic,

its about the player not about its name...

Reply #10
Something about the name: I didn't see it at all until it was mantioned. I am from germany, and as you might know everything in germany, which is connected with it or even with patrioty, is strictly censored.

but don't let go off topic,

its about the player not about its name...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291915"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes it's about the player. But the name seems to be a less than stellar choice. If someone gets more tech specs about the player, please post them and/or a link to a source.

Seems like Sony is ignoring open source lossless codecs like FLAC. Funny since so many other "over the air" players support FLAC. Oh, well.

Reply #11

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291883"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you try and read it as one word, you will probably find yourself saying "Nazis won"..  Though, I doubt anyone will notice that unless mentioned to them..

Dubbed the NAS-CZ1, the sleek black unit plays MP3, WAV, ACC and WMA, including DRM-iTunes music.
erm... probably best to look up some specs directly from sony..

Reply #12
erm... probably best to look up some specs directly from sony..[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This Network Audio System is compatible with a wide range of audio codecs (including MP3, WAV, OMG, WMA and AAC)

cool to see OMG! support 

[a href="http://www.sony-europe.com/PageView.do?site=odw_en_EU&page=PressReleaseDetail&section=en_EU_Press&pressrelease=1109586898095]link[/url]

Reply #13
Seems like Sony is ignoring open source lossless codecs like FLAC. Funny since so many other "over the air" players support FLAC. Oh, well.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291916"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Heh, Sony even tried to ignore MP3 for as long as they could. FLAC or any other "indie" lossless codec has nearly no chance with them, I suppose.

If you try and read it as one word, you will probably find yourself saying "Nazis won"..
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291917"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow. Now you're really stretching it.

Maybe let's start looking for Nostradamus predictions in Sony's product line?

Reply #14
This Network Audio System is compatible with a wide range of audio codecs (including MP3, WAV, OMG, WMA and AAC)

cool to see OMG! support 

link
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291920"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think that guarantees much. For all that we know, they also claim MiniDisc is compatible with MP3 :B

Only way to be sure is with report from someone that tested it himself, I guess.

Reply #15
Sony:
DLNA compliant, the NAS-CZ1 can be connected to, and is compatible with, a variety of DLNA based PCs and consumer electronic products.

DLNA ~= UPnP
So it could support all players supporting UPnP.

Reply #16
FWIW, I didn't see the "nazi" idea until you mentioned it. I was thinking it was supposed to be pronounced more like "nasty". Which I felt was more appropriate for a Sony product.

Reply #17

cool to see OMG! support 

Maybe they've seen the error of their ways. Let's hope they add support for WTF, LOL, and BBQ as well.

Reply #18

cool to see OMG! support 

Maybe they've seen the error of their ways. Let's hope they add support for WTF, LOL, and BBQ as well.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291940"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They should add support for W00T and 0WN3D too...  teach Apple a thing or two!! lol

Reply #19
If you try and read it as one word, you will probably find yourself saying "Nazis won"..
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291917"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow. Now you're really stretching it.

Maybe let's start looking for Nostradamus predictions in Sony's product line?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291925"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
"Whatever."

Reply #20
I'll bet someone in marketing is really going to catch it over the name though! Imagine you coming up with a product name that phonetically might not want to be anything that Sony is connected with. I would have to say that would be a Marketing 101 no-no. But perhaps the Japanese developers at Sony didn't make the connection. You would have thought someone would have pointed this out to them before they actually put out press releases about the product. Maybe they've never heard of phonetics.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291730"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Remember the Sony Petafile??? lol.

Reply #21
Any tech specs yet? Can I connect this thing to my hifi amp or can I only listen through the built speaker? Is this something that might be an alternative to a Roku Soundbridge?