Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trying to decode a (possibly) 8-bit fixed-point AU file (Read 2763 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to decode a (possibly) 8-bit fixed-point AU file

I'm trying to extract audio from a game I own, to maybe be able to listen to it outside of the game, or replace the audio with something of my own.

The company that makes the game has gone lengths to hide what the audio is encoded in, but by looking at the hex data I'm pretty sure that it's multiple audio parts, all encoded in 8-bit fixed-point, sampled at 44100Hz. This is consistent with previous iterations of the game, but it seems that the company has gone from 8-bit unsigned PCM to 8-bit fixed point, which seems that nor Audacity nor Adobe Audition have as available options for import.

The clue is a long
Code: [Select]
hex which separates parts of the file and appears 38 times in the file, along with a header of 32-bit unsigned integers similar to this one:
Code: [Select]
02000000 CD050000 0A000000 44AC0000 00C00600

The first 4 parts of the header are consistent (channels, ?, 10 (encoding type), 44100 sampling rate) and the last one I'm guessing is data length, since it's the only one that's changing.

Am I just pulling stuff out of thin air, or am I close to something?

P.S. The header isn't consistent with the order mentioned in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_file_format), but the developers could have easily made their own header.
P.S.2 Here's the tutorial of the last game's iteration of which the audio files we could understand: http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=68166